• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How the hell is this phone still not in stock anywhere?

In this day and age, there is really zero excuse for not having something on store shelves....

:thinking:

Given that sometimes analysts make incorrect forecasts, the trend for increased smartphone usage "globally" is driving growing demand for parts/materials, along with straining production capacity, and the growing economies of many countries (300 mil new middle class in China alone) allowing more people to afford them, I would think that it would be hard to believe that desirable items would "not" be out of stock.

Upvote 0
No, they're not.

Every Verizon store experience that I have or read about on here is "no we don't have the phone, order it at our store and it will be here in a couple weeks".

My local stores, both Verizon corporate and Best Buy, 3 of each store in my region, have been getting shipments of 10 every few days since launch.

I preordered mine, but i'm trying to help a friend get one. Its a matter of being at the store when the shipments arive it seems.

Considering that Verizon had 250k+ units at launch, i think they did pretty good stocking up.

Supposedly this phone has sold 500k+ by this point and given the fact that they're selling as soon as they come in, i believe it.

Upvote 0
This phone came out 19 days ago...and still NO ONE in the NY Metro area has it in stock.

What the hell was Verizon doing before this phone launched? How many units were available at launch? Twenty? Thirty?

It really is a joke how they can't get these phones on shelves. Not only did they not advertise this phone for shit, but when it finally comes out people have to wait over a month for it to arrive via "warehouse order".

And Verizon doesn't have anything to gain for this. They aren't getting any money from ridiculous secondhand sales on eBay. They aren't attracting new customers if they have to wait to get the phone (at this point if you're thinking about VZW, why not just go to Sprint and get the EVO 4G? You're not going to get it until June anyway). And anyone on the fence could wait another week or two and the new Motorola Android phone will be announced...

I really feel like this phone was rushed to the market. I've never seen a product launch this bad before...

I feel ya, but maybe you should have pre-ordered the device? But there could be reasons for not choosing that route so....

I'm waiting the same as you (but ordered online 5/10), but not getting pissed about it. I knew what my shipping date could very well be, so I'm just quasi-patiently looking forward to get my Incredible.

As for product launches, imo BB Storm in '09 was bad, and was released WAY too early. Those waiting for the Inc is experiencing the same (or worse), but at least the device is better out of the gate.

Upvote 0
I was thinking the same thing.

They admitted there is a signal issue already which i do not seem to have and some people are having battery issues as well. Maybe there are trying to get the issues strightened out before they sell anymore.

i certainly hope by some software update means. it would big a massive kick to the goods if they fixed something before selling more hardware; leaving existing peeps to suffer...

Upvote 0
Pre-ordering any new piece of technology is one of the dumbest things you can do.

For big products...most first batches of units have bugs and hardware errors. So if you pre-order, there is a high chance that you'll be stuck with a lemon and have to go through countless return/exchanges...

I disagree. I think case, I received the phone on time. I haven't run into any problems with it.

If you can wait for new technology to be old, then wait. To me, the Incredible has such huge advantages that I'd rather not wait. If you want to wait, fine. In a few years there will be a much better phone available and you can buy a used Incredible cheap.

Upvote 0
I was thinking the same thing.

They admitted there is a signal issue already which i do not seem to have and some people are having battery issues as well. Maybe there are trying to get the issues strightened out before they sell anymore.

I love everyone thinking that there is all these problems with the Incredible.

People post when they have a problem.

If everyone posted that their phone worked excellent, this site would be flooded with threads.

For all the ones that you read of problems think of how many people havent posted up their problems. You should realize that these are a slight minority of the phones sold.

Upvote 0

If everyone posted that their phone worked excellent, this site would be flooded with threads.

For all the ones that you read of problems think of how many people havent posted up their problems. You should realize that these are a slight minority of the phones sold.

Well, i dont have the signal problem but if you read through the threads you will see people posting e-mails directly from htc stating there is a signal issue.

So if htc says there is a signal problem i would be willing to bet that there is one. I don't have the signal issue but I do have the battery issue.

Upvote 0
Samsung can't provide HTC any more AMOLED screens, at least that's the excuse Verizon CEO is claiming... or they're busy producing parts for Apple to make any for HTC.

HTC and Verizon probably underestimated demand quite a bit and didn't order enough to begin with.

AMOLED is being obsoleted by Samsung anyway so I doubt Samsung is the actual choke point. My guess is that they simply didn't allocate enough production and HTC is busy readying other phones like the EVO.

Sadly, this information is correct to some degree, but the real product constraint is the HD2. It is hard to get supply because made at same place as EVO.

Where did you see the AMOLED is going away? They are improving it and perhaps rebranding, but not scrapping it. Too much investment tied up in r&d and equipment to shut it down this early ;)

Upvote 0
Have you tried Best Buy? The ones in AZ seemed to have at least two or three left each store about two weeks after launch.

Best Buy has them locally here too in KY. Droid is harder to get than the Incredible. Best Buy can not keep them in stock. BB thought demand would shift almost all to Incredible, so they turned their stock levels down. Now stores are trying to transfer stock from different regions to rebalance very low stock levels. Moto Droid has not picked up in demand, but there is still higher demand than BB expected (post Incred launch).

Upvote 0
Best Buy has them locally here too in KY. Droid is harder to get than the Incredible. Best Buy can not keep them in stock. BB thought demand would shift almost all to Incredible, so they turned their stock levels down. Now stores are trying to transfer stock from different regions to rebalance very low stock levels. Moto Droid has not picked up in demand, but there is still higher demand than BB expected (post Incred launch).
Probably because the Moto Droid is BOGO...

Upvote 0

Agreed, my wifes incredible and a guy at works incredible are fine. Now granted mine has an issue, but that was the case with the last phone I got and it wasn't a pre-order or anything and had been out for months. Electronics just sometimes have parts that weren't the quality they were intended to be. Bad resistors, capacitors, and transistors happen. It sux if you have a problem but the manufacturer should warranty your product for about a year anyway... thats plenty of time to see there is a problem.

Upvote 0
i just dont understand why people wont get the phone through amazon or wirefly, both of where its cheaper than VZW.

Because I'd rather not email, wait for info, get a return RMA, wait for my prepaid box to ship and ship my phone off if I have problems. I walk into the verizon store I purchased from and get the issue taken care of.

That's just my 2cents though.

Upvote 0
Sadly, this information is correct to some degree, but the real product constraint is the HD2. It is hard to get supply because made at same place as EVO.

Where did you see the AMOLED is going away? They are improving it and perhaps rebranding, but not scrapping it. Too much investment tied up in r&d and equipment to shut it down this early ;)

Regular AMOLED is being replaced by Super AMOLED which is a bit nicer but the biggest pro being it very usable outside. I'm sure Samsung will still supply AMOLED but they won't be using it on any future phones and I doubt they'll be offering it anymore as a supply item since Super AMOLED doesn't seem to be any more expensive to make but has big advantages.

Upvote 0
I love how the guy is complaining about the advertising campaign yet is complaining about how the phone is sold out everywhere. Look, if you wanted the phone within a few weeks of launch, you should have preordered it. The phone that i bought 3 days after it came out is the same phone as the people that preordered it. The only reason i didn't preorder it was the phone would have come during exam week for me, and there was no way i could study with my first smartphone sitting around :). Don't complain about the company when YOU failed to be on top of the game. The phone will be in stock soon. If that's not early enough for you, then buy another phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones