• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help how to access SD card?

guthrie

Feb 4, 2011
I have a 32 GB SD card added into my A100, and it shows up great over USB, but I can't seem to access the contents through regular apps.

The Settings/storage page shows the card, and that it has 11GB full, 19 GB free, but doesn't show any internal directory structure.

Apps like ES file explorer show /sdcard/ but that is the internal card (only).

The gallery (photo) app does show things I put into the /photo/xxx folder on the SD, so that works fine.

But I have a lot of other stuff, mp3 music, ebooks, pdf's, etc, and don't know how to get to them.

Most of the applications that I have downloaded have given up on trying to use the external sd card because each company making Android devices has defined its path differently. It seems that the Android OpSys folks never considered that there could be 2 SD Cards on the system.

And yes, Documents to Go seems to have solved the problem.

Upvote 0
OK.
Do you have the Micro usb to usb cable that came with the device?
If so -
This works on Windows XP.
Plug the tablet into the computer. You should get the whole windows routine about found new hardware. Once your hardware is ready to use, open MY COMPUTER on windows. You should see Acer Iconia twice - one will say camera. You want the other Acer file. Open that file and you will Internal Storage and SD card. You transfer files as normal with drag and drop or cut and paste.

If you store books on the SD card - you will have to open your book reader, (I use FB Reader)
In the library you should see a list.
Favorites, Recent, By Author. You want File Tree.
Open File tree, find Device - Open Device and find mnt- open mnt, and you should see external_sd. Open external_sd, and that's your external card.

Music and video players will find the external card.

Upvote 0
I don't know if I'm suopposed to write this here, but I have a similar problem with my A100. It won't read/recognize an external hard disk, nor an usual USB. Is there a programe or a device that could make this work?

For example, I would like to watch movies on my tablet by connecting it to a samsung hard disk directly, so that I don't have to use computer to transfer movies from hard disk to tablet.

Upvote 0
If I set the home directory to external_sd does this mean that when I take a picture with the stock camera that it will automatically be placed in the micro SD card storage and not the internal phone memory?

Also by doing so does this interfere with any future apps that I may update or install as new through the Google Play store etc?

I should have perhaps placed this on my latest thread, Mods please could you move this to my latest thread please?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones