• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to access Styx Browser & Duckduckgo sessions/tabs on my Android & transferring them to my Linux PC, possibly adb method, is root needed?

I've tried every solution recommended. My smartphone is not rooted, it is an LG L355DL, LG K31 Rebel, Android version 10. I got many tabs on my browsers that I need to transfer & review. When I try to transfer each tab one by one using my phone, old social media sessions, Facebook links, etc, I open the tab, but they reset their URL to facebook.com/login, so I often lose where I was at completely when I try to click on them to share/transfer them to my PC or anywhere.

In other words I have to open the tab again, refresh the URL, but in the process the URL changes & sometimes resets itself to the domain, common thing that happens when you're not re-logged into social media, etc. So I need a walk-through to access the session/tab files via adb method, or something.

I do not have root access to my phone. I tried to do adb pull /data/data/com.styxbrowser.browser/app_chrome/Default/* etc. I connected my PC to my phone via USB, but it doesn't work. Also this forum post may help. Here are my terminal results/attempts: www.rentry.co/cyube.

Lastly, there is interestingly another very different approach to accessing these files, it worked for my Android Kiwi browser. I connected my android to my PC via USB, opened my kiwibrowser on my Android, turned on adb on my phone, then I went to chrome://inspect/#devices in my browser on my PC. I could see all tabs & could back them all up. it works like a charm. However, it doesn't work with Styx or Duckduckgo. Not sure why.

-Thanks!

The answer to the last part might be because Kiwi browser is based on the same Chromium/Webkit foundations as Chrome, which DDG and Styx are not. Just a guess (that is to say, just guessing that that's the reason, the statements about what the browsers are based on are not guesses).

Trying to adb pull the browser's database file is probably futile: even if you had root, why would the internal database of an Android browser be readable by any browser on your PC? Android may use linux kernels, but the runtime environments are very different.

What happens if you do something crude like copy the URL from the browser, paste it into an email and send it to yourself? You probably will have to log in to whatever social media site it's on because having the address won't log you in, but you can paste it back into the browser after logging in. It will be tedious copying a lot of addresses that way, but probably more effective than banging your head against the metaphorical wall for hours. I'd try it with one or two URLs first.

The only other thing I can think of is to use a browser which can sync tabs between devices. That's never been something that interested me, so I can't make recommendations, but there are browsers out there that offer that (though probably not the ones you are using, and you will need to use the same brand browser on both machines).

Another answer is to just not use the phone in the first place for stuff you might want to review on a computer.

Sorry, that's all I can think of.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
@Hadron, Thanks for your response! 1.) I already explained why i cant just copy & email the URLs from my android to my PC.
2.) I will definitely learn from this experience & not allow it to happen again, but i am trying to transition & do just that, & need to save the current tabs/sessions i already have, so i can move on. This is my 1st time using android, so its a learning experience.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones