How to add and manage alarm, notification and ringtone sounds

1. EinZtein

EinZtein Well-Known Member

You can add and manage your own sounds without a 3rd party app.

Just make a directory on sdcard, I use Astro file manager.

/sdcard/system/media/audio/alarms

/sdcard/system/media/audio/notifications

/sdcard/system/media/audio/ringtones

I copied some notifications from the root to alarms on sdcard, "heaven" is sweet to wake up to each morning instead of those obnoxious defaults.

An old s60 trick, enjoy.

Advertisement
    :
    SDPerkins and dasudevil like this.
  2. EinZtein

FYI, you can adjust the volume of your alarm separately when "Alarm Clock" is open and the Ringtone dialog is open, just adjust the volume. Turn the ringer volume off and the alarm volume up, that way you'll still get some sleep even when all your drunk friends start calling at 2am.
  3. sensesfail99

sensesfail99 Well-Known Member

thanks for the info... I noticed sometimes my alarm would barely make a noise and other mornings it was ear piercing!
  4. EinZtein

Glad someone's using this method.
  5. EinZtein

bump for all the fools out there...
  6. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Well-Known Member

That was uncalled for, dude.
    lookinin likes this.
  7. EinZtein

IK, don't take that seriously or figuratively, and in this case I'm the fool cause I'm setting up an sdcard and forgot the dir structure and had to look for this thread.;)
  8. dbgrigg189

dbgrigg189 Well-Known Member

Off topic, but its nice to see a fellow 704er on a forum EinZtein
  9. dasudevil

dasudevil Well-Known Member

I found this like the 3rd day of owning the phone. I have all my Blackberry ringtones, notifications, and alarms. They are 10x louder then any one that the MT3G gives you. ITS NICE@!!!!1

Either way great post...
  10. evild

evild Member

This doesn't work with the 3g 3.5. It wont' let you use any characters. Ringdroid does not work either. Pretty annoying I can't choose what notification sounds i use
  11. dbgrigg189

dbgrigg189 Well-Known Member

Not sure about that one...
  12. SirDane1

SirDane1 New Member

thank you so much for this!!!!!:d:d:d:d:d:d:d!!
  13. Rew

Rew Well-Known Member

I've set mine up like this and put my SMS sound in the Notifications folder. The problem is the phone uses the same sound for all notifications.

Any way to change this?
  14. InstantKarma

Each app has it's own notification settings where you can select what tone you want played.
    Rew likes this.
  15. evild

evild Member

Found a program called rings extended, supposedly works with the new my touch so I installed it. Still got that stupid rattle snake sound for notifications o I called Tmobile and the woman told me there is 2 places you have to change your notification setting, Works like a champ now but i feel stupid.
  16. crgrob

crgrob Member

There must be an easier way than to have to copy the mp3's into 3 different folder? Thats just using up S card space???

What if i want "example.mp3" as my ringtone, but later decide i want it as my notification or alarm?

Surely there must be a way to keep all mp3's in one folder and be able to access them for differrent intentions (bluetooth, sms, email, ringtone etc.)

"Is there an app for this" lol
  17. InstantKarma

Only if you're rooted. Then you could use Root Explorer, or something similar.
  18. crgrob

crgrob Member

found an app called aRing that searches all audio files on the Sd card and allows you to set them as alarm, sms or ringtone. Even lets you trim/edit tones.
  19. dagurasu

dagurasu New Member

First hello, new android user, 2.1. I was forced to get android but I am mostly liking it. I'm not a WinMo hater at all, but android is smoother. When skype works I'll be all happy.

This though is lame. My appointments are IMPORTANT. Notifications about a new wireless network, or even new spam in my inbox, are NOT. I want a little soft twing for notifications and a big ear-piercing screech for my appointments. Using the default system notification for the calendar is not cool.

Do any of these calendar alarm apps allow, not just adding to the notification sounds, but allowing a SEPARATE sound for calendar events. Would be amazing if we could even set the sound for each event (with a controllable default not equal to the system notifications).
  20. Howard Packer

Howard Packer Well-Known Member

Is there an answer to this? I have the same problem. I want one tone for SMS, and another tone for a calendar alarm. I want to set volume tone for each app.
  21. EinZtein

Just follow the instructions and you can have any tone for anything.
  22. mathematic

mathematic New Member

Thank you for this information...
  23. mishita

mishita New Member

Thanks a lot :) Very useful for me.
  24. EinZtein

Cool, this is still a rock solid process. I've moved every ringtone the past ten years and move them from phone to phone.