• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to add another language to the keyboard dictionary

MattMan

Jun 30, 2010
So after few years I'm back to the Android world, switched from WindowsPhone (and from iPhone before that). So far the transition has been full of pain, frustration... Android is pure chaos. Anyway I have a problem with dual language dictionary on my phone. I speak English and Polish and would like to have both keyboards on the device to switch between them. So far I was able to set keyboards up but can't figure out how to add polish dictionary. When I type stuff in English I get suggestions and autocorrect etc but when I tap the button and switch to Polish I don't get this functionality. In settings there is an "add-on dictionaries" option but it's empty and I'm not able to add new dictionaries, so ummm, HELP PLEASE? This is like basic thing, it takes less than 30 seconds to set up on iPhone or Windows phone but here I just can't figure it out.

Thanks!!!

No it doesn't, unfortunately. All I want is to add another language to the spell-check, not to install 3rd party keyboards or crap like that. How hard can it be? :mad:

I just spoke with Motorola support. Apparently it's not possible to add a second language to the spell check. A major fail imho.

Upvote 0
Well ... on my Droid Maxx I can go to ...
Settings | Language & input and there is an entry in ...
KEYBOARD & INPUT METHODS for Google keyboard.

If I select the settings icon to the right of Google keyboard I can select multiple Input languages

I am able to select (among others) ...

English (US)
English (UK)
Polish

... have you tried this on your Moto G?

... Thom

Upvote 0
I have no google keyboard, on mine it says Android Keyboard (AOSP)

Try installing Google keyboard. I just enabled 5 different dictionaries with it at once. After you install it has a guided setup to get you rolling. Just make sure to uncheck system default language then you can select more.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.inputmethod.latin

I was able to do this with the aosp keyboard on my nexus 4 as well once I knew how to do it. I'll try tonight in my wife's Moto G.

Upvote 0
Stock doesn't always offer all of the options you need. Others have had the same problem so they have created alternate apps.

You can try a non stock app, learn to live with the decreased functionality or go back to the iPhone you seem to be longing to have.

I personally use the app that offers the alternative. Did for the brief moment I endured using iOS and found myself unable to so virtually anything I wanted to do except have my mobile sound and look like everyone else's.

Upvote 0
So after few years I'm back to the Android world, switched from WindowsPhone (and from iPhone before that). So far the transition has been full of pain, frustration... Android is pure chaos. Anyway I have a problem with dual language dictionary on my phone. I speak English and Polish and would like to have both keyboards on the device to switch between them. So far I was able to set keyboards up but can't figure out how to add polish dictionary. When I type stuff in English I get suggestions and autocorrect etc but when I tap the button and switch to Polish I don't get this functionality. In settings there is an "add-on dictionaries" option but it's empty and I'm not able to add new dictionaries, so ummm, HELP PLEASE? This is like basic thing, it takes less than 30 seconds to set up on iPhone or Windows phone but here I just can't figure it out.

Thanks!!!
Not for you obviously as it has been awile :) but I was looking it up myself and stumbled on this so thought I'd help the next user that comes around with the same issue :). This is for pure android as of today 04/10/2015.
Ciao

Settings
Language and keyboard
Google keyboard
Languages
Deselect "use system language" and select all languages needed :)

Upvote 0

Thanks!!!

See this : Go back to Android, and see this link.. http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/tutorial-google-keyboard-indonesian-t3215118

Upvote 0
So after few years I'm back to the Android world, switched from WindowsPhone (and from iPhone before that). So far the transition has been full of pain, frustration... Android is pure chaos. Anyway I have a problem with dual language dictionary on my phone. I speak English and Polish and would like to have both keyboards on the device to switch between them. So far I was able to set keyboards up but can't figure out how to add polish dictionary. When I type stuff in English I get suggestions and autocorrect etc but when I tap the button and switch to Polish I don't get this functionality. In settings there is an 'add-on dictionaries' option but it's empty and I'm not able to add new dictionaries, so ummm, HELP PLEASE? This is like basic thing, it takes less than 30 seconds to set up on iPhone or Windows phone but here I just can't figure it out.
Thanks!!!
Settings -> Language & input -> Gboard -> Languages

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones