• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to change main gmail account without doing a factory reset?

You can do this if your phone is rooted:
All you have to do is use Root Explorer and go to /data/system/ find accounts.db and rename it to accounts.db.bak so I could just name it back if I had a problem instead of doing a restore. I also did a Nandroid backup.. Reboot your phone and goto settings>accounts and sync>add account and your good to go!!!!

**I would definitely recommend doing a NANDROID backup before, just in case you delete the wrong file accidentally.

I did that , it wprled but. Any posssbile risks in future? It only deleted accounts of facebok twttier etc, that is all we lost?

Upvote 0
All you have to do is use Root Explorer and go to /data/system/ find accounts.db and rename it to accounts.db.bak so I could just name it back if I had a problem instead of doing a restore. I also did a Nandroid backup.. Reboot your phone and goto settings>accounts and sync>add account and your good to go!!!!

**I would definitely recommend doing a NANDROID backup before, just in case you delete the wrong file accidentally.

Registered just to leave thanks for this post. Worked flawlessly.

Reactions: Cursed Chico
Upvote 0
This is something that i tried and it works 100% !!!!

please read the this guide carefully so u wont make any mistake

First what u have to do is to download app from the internet
called "Root Explorer" u can find it on google by typing
"root explorer.apk "

when u find and download the app just connect the phone with your PC so u can transfer the file on the sd card in any folder that u wish

Next what u have to do is unplug the phone and open "Astro Manager" also app that is familiar to android users
with Astro manager locate the downloaded file and install it on ur phone
Exit Astro manager and open Root Explorer the app that u just installed it

please read this first then do it step by step

Now scroll down in the root explorer and open

"system" folder after that open "Framework" folder and ull find a file named
"framework-res.apk"
click and hold the file and rename it to "framework-res.apk.bak"
(just add .bak) and press OK
it might show u error or force close but dont worry not a big deal just press OK
then click and hold the same file that u just renamed it and delete the .bak so it will be like it was before "framework-res.apk" and press OK

Now Reboot ur phone

THERE !!!! u can now sigh in with ur new Gmail account

enjoy !!! :)

Upvote 0

"root explorer.apk "

when u find and download the app just connect the phone with your PC so u can transfer the file on the sd card in any folder that u wish

Next what u have to do is unplug the phone and open "Astro Manager" also app that is familiar to android users

"framework-res.apk"
it might show u error or force close but dont worry not a big deal just press OK
then click and hold the same file that u just renamed it and delete the .bak so it will be like it was before "framework-res.apk" and press OK

Now Reboot ur phone

You my friend, are a complete dick.

IF SOMEONE FALLS FOR THIS I WILL LAUGH IMMENSELY.

Upvote 0

THANKS alegalalien!! Registered to leave you personal thanks. Your suggestion worked great! I am certain many others have found this info you posted useful.

Verizon Samsung Facinate
GEEWIZ 2.6 SCH-I500 EH03 GINGERBREAD

Upvote 0
This worked:

I was in a situation where I had to do this. I lent a friend my iPod Touch to try for a few weeks... I then realized my GMAIL account was on it!

So...

1.) Web interface: Changed the GMAIL pword.
2.) On the Droid: Launched the GMAIL app -wouldn't sync. Good.
3.) Searched thru the GMAIL app to reset to my new pword. No luck.
4.) Noticed a new notification, swiped it down, viola! Enter new pword!

In short, don't look in the app itself to change the pword, rather expect a notification to re-enter the pword!

Hope that helps...

Found on another forum.

Reactions: Cursed Chico
Upvote 0
I just got my Hero this past weekend and didn't have my gmail account info with me. Of course they made me set up one while I was there..
I changed it tonight by doing this and had no problem:

First you need to press - Menu key >Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Google Apps > "Clear data" > OK.

This will delete the Google account details on your mobile.

To enter new details press Menu Key> Settings > Data Synchronization > Google and you'll be prompted with the set up dialogue. Enter your new account details. It took my phone a few minutes to sync the new account but all is running well now!

Worked like a charm! But the second half I didn't do. I just put in emails like as if I were starting with a fresh phone.

Upvote 0
You my friend, are a complete d*ck.

IF SOMEONE FALLS FOR THIS I WILL LAUGH IMMENSELY.

Yeah.. he's a total d*ck.. and I'm an even bigger d*ck - I fell for it -_-
Now my phone is ****ed up and I can't do anything.. if someone can help me - please, I'd be grateful !
And yeah.. you can laugh as much as you want... I should've read all the comments before doing anything -_-
Edit: I fixed it using the Update Service program from Sony Ericsson's website... I'm now with the default UI and factory programs/settings...

Upvote 0

"root explorer.apk "

"framework-res.apk"

Now Reboot ur phone

Stumbled across this on a search on google.

For the ones thinking this guy is a dick, this actually works.

What he is trying to say is that if you were to basically copy your framework-res to somewhere else then delete the main one, then move the BACKUP back to its original location it erases the accounts and contacts associated with the phone.

I do this all the time while importing themes manually through Android Commander. Each time I reboot after doing so I have to re enter my Gmail account and restore my contacts.

Thought I would share even though this isn't my normal department. But this guy isnt a dick. Aside from deleting the accounts.db file, this is the easiest way to delete your gmail account from your phone.

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

I never thought I would write anything here, but after juggling for around 2 hours with the issue discussed in this post, I found out a way around this issue. FYI, I tried almost 4-5 different solutions this page or other such pages proposed prior to this.

How about changing the password for email which is accessed through Gmail app. This worked as android tries to open the account with the same password every other time. Don't give him the password and create a new account for your email.

Cheers,
Abhishek

Upvote 0
my brother gave his galaxy mini (froyo 2.2.1)[rooted] to me. but i did not wanted to loose all the apps installed on it therefore deleting his google account only.
so using root browser lite, i went to folder /data/system and changed the name of accounts.db to accounts.db.bak (as a precaution). rebooted the device and VOILA it had no accounts at all so it asked for an account just as it was new.
as described by 'alegalalien' in earlier posts. thanks by the way.

Upvote 0
This is crap! I got a new gmail account and deleted the old one with Google. And now you are telling me everything is tied to the old email account. I have t go thru all this ^#^#&@* to remove it from my Droid? I'm going back to an IPHONE Feb 12th. I am counting the days. Mac makes it so easy and it all makes sense. The MAC OS works like a person thinks. Anybody want a free Android? WHy do you all put up with this confusing nonsense. Is it really work this kind of confusion. This must be a government run phone. That could be the olny possible reason anything would be so confusing.

Upvote 0

Thanks mate.. worked very fine..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones