• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How To Change Notification Icons in individual Apps? (eg: K9, Twidroyd, etc)

bradb32

Lurker
Apr 24, 2010
Hi All,

I was hoping somebody would be able to help me. I would like to edit the notification icons used by individual applications that appear in the task bar. (Not the ones in the framework-res.apk files but in the individual apk located in data/app.) I can pull the files and edit them easily enough.

I have read that I cannot place the edited app back into data/app due to hash values no longer matching and have been told that a possible workaround may be to put the edited file into system/app instead of data/app, but apparently I don't know how to do this properly. Do I remount, push the edited file and then delete the original from data/app? Is some kind of install or uninstall needed, either manual or from an adb command?? I am rooted with s-off. Thanks so much for any ideas or pointers in the right direction!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones