• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to change your default music player! Yes an answer.

kause4fear

Lurker
Jan 28, 2011
So I was annoyed for days because the droid default music player was automatically popping up or playing instead of PowerAmp in my case. I could not find a exact answer online so with some determination I figured it out my self and hope this will help out someone else.

1st you want to go to your settings- click applications- manage applications
Click the All applications list, now go to every music player in your app list including your default one make sure the play by default button is not checked, if it is checked clear it. Then be sure that your force quit them all.

2nd now setting default player is not in the settings which is why its so annoying to figure out. Your phone comes with a folder called "Files" open that folder and find a music file and when you try to play it from there a choose player window will pop up. Now BEFORE You choose the player you want as your default click the checkbox first will have green checkmark. Then choose what player u want as your default from the list and its set.

To verify go back to settings click applications- manage applications- all applications scroll to the music player u set as default and the box at the bottom should now be checked as your default music player.

Hope that helped, I am using a droid 2 but should work for all droids. If you downloaded file manager you can open that instead of files folder but same directions.

So I was annoyed for days because the droid default music player was automatically popping up or playing instead of PowerAmp in my case. I could not find a exact answer online so with some determination I figured it out my self and hope this will help out someone else.

1st you want to go to your settings- click applications- manage applications
Click the All applications list, now go to every music player in your app list including your default one make sure the play by default button is not checked, if it is checked clear it. Then be sure that your force quit them all.

2nd now setting default player is not in the settings which is why its so annoying to figure out. Your phone comes with a folder called "Files" open that folder and find a music file and when you try to play it from there a choose player window will pop up. Now BEFORE You choose the player you want as your default click the checkbox first will have green checkmark. Then choose what player u want as your default from the list and its set.

To verify go back to settings click applications- manage applications- all applications scroll to the music player u set as default and the box at the bottom should now be checked as your default music player.

Hope that helped, I am using a droid 2 but should work for all droids. If you downloaded file manager you can open that instead of files folder but same directions.

Nice, you da man bruh

Upvote 0
sorry such a latecomer to the party. i have tried so many suggestions, including the one above ~ TWICE. maybe it's me? always a possibility... i think changing my default music player to poweramp worked on my s3, but never since.
as with the directions above, i am always only given two options ~ amazon music & google play music.
i have this issue on my s6 and now my galaxy tab e, too. i LOVE poweramp! just wish i could use it on everything i listen to...
anyone?
thx!

ADDITION: i've attached a screen shot of my two options, even after following all steps detailed above.

Attachments

• 2017-07-10 08.41.39.png
    2017-07-10 08.41.39.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 604
Last edited:
Upvote 0
RrTT is having the same problem I am.

The Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (Verizon) with Android version 7.1.1 will not allow any other music player to be set as default. Even after uninstalling the Google Play Music and any others, I can't make Foobar2000 the default player. I've gone down both the Systems>App manager>Foobar2000>Set as default, and the Settings>Default Apps>Set as default>Foobar2000 paths and there is no trigger for actually setting the default. Uninstalling every other player and opening an audio file from the file manager just opens a play-from-file generic player (that doesn't even have a name) but offers no choice for calling Foobar or any other app.

Between things like this, the Bixby assistant that you can't disable, and the Bixby button you can't reassign I'm beginning to feel like I bought an iPhone. Stuck with what someone else thinks is best instead of being able to make my own decisions.

Upvote 0
I'm not that familiar with the Note8 but the other day I was playing with one..all Samsung have the same format basically..my point is..if you go to settings then somewhere there's an option to "clear all defaults"..then after that the phone can start to present you with the option of "play as default".

Let me know..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones