• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to check for screen being touched? How to dim using overlay?

Wookbert

Lurker
Sep 20, 2016
I intend to use Android tablets as control panels for my home automation system. One tablet will be placed on my bedside, which requires the screen to be dimmed at night based on the light sensor output. When touched (regardless where) however the screen should immediately become brighter/less dimmed, and when not touched again within 20 seconds, return to the previous dimming state again.

How to check if the screen has been touched?
How to dim using a transparent overlay? (Reducing the backlight to minimum still is too bright and distracting. MacroDroid for instance has a Dimming action in addition to the Backlight reduction).

Note that the tablets have no proximity sensors and I don't want to use a swipe action either, as the home automation interface shown on the screen should always be visible and instantly responsive at all times.

Can this be done with Tasker? If yes, how? Example script would be great.

Thanks in advance,
André

Hi, there! I need this to run a Tesco Hudl2 (Android 5.1) and several Dell Venue 8 3840 (Android 4.4). Not rooted (yet). Those were the cheapest 8" tablets with Full HD display I could find (the Hudl2 was USD 110, the Dells UDS 50 each).

I'm currently testing Llamalabs’ Automate, AutomateIt and MacroDroid, but none of those three can check if screen has been touch somewhere (custom buttons yes, but not the entire screen as such). As for the described 'dim through transparent image overlay' feature: only available in MacroDroid.

Before I purchase Tasker, I'd like to know whether Tasker can check for screen touch and dim using overlay.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Take a look at Screen Filter by Haxor Industries (yeah, what's in a name, right?)
It can really dim the screen all the way down to zero, and best of all, it's also a Tasker Plugin.
Free in the Google Playstore.
Tested dozens of apps like and including that one. They all do pretty much the same, some more elegantly than others. Didn't notice though that the one from Haxor is a Tasker plug-in as well. Hat tip @vosg!

It would be really cool, if somebody would come up with a Screen Dimming background app, which dims automatically based on the light sensor readings using both backlight adjustment and overlay, but would become bright again for an adjustable period (1 to 60 seconds lets say) as soon as the screen gets touched somewhere. A must have extension for every wall-mounted installation of an Android tablet for Home Automation Control.

Will try to code that using Tasker, TouchTask and Haxor Screen Filter. Finger’s crossed. Bloody newbie here...

Last edited:
Reactions: vosg
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones