• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to create (and ADD to spelling/predictive text) the Spanish ñ on Samsung Glaxay S-4

Ms RA

Lurker
Nov 1, 2013
We have 2 Samsung Galaxy S-4s neither of which recognizes NOR allows either of us to enter (and SAVE) the Spanish ñ so a word (name) is recognized / can be reused while texting etc.

I have checked / looked in the 479 page guide (.pdf) with NO help/success. grrrr

I have copied and pasted it to a contact (name) can use it in TEXT by pasting, but I CANNOT figure out how to 'save' it so when I want/need it, it is available.

Given the phone's amazing options, complexity, including foreign languages (selecting Spanish does NOT offer - make the ñ available, why do users need all the cute symbols etc. yet older - CHEAPER cell phones offer the ñ!

ANY 'n all help - suggestions appreciated!

Video Lady

In order to get the letter "n" with the accent, you simply need to hold the letter down. For instance, if you are trying to spell "piñata", when attempting to type the "ñ", simply hold down the n key. What will then happen is that a variety of of different n's with different types of accents will appear (click the applicable one). Finish typing the word out. When you are done typing the word, you will do one of two things to save it forever.

1) If you are using Samsung keyboard (which you would be using by default), then you will hit the "check mark"
in the predictive field directly above the keyboard. This will save the word.

2) If you are using Google's keyboard (which I prefer and is available for download on the Play Store), you will simply click the word and press "save". This will also save the word.

Hope this answers your questions. Feliz Navidad!

Upvote 0
Wirelessmike21,

Ooops, I tried it. Holding down the 'n' does show / offer options, but so far NO option has allowed me to 'save' the name in predictive text.

DARN, both of us have been able to find the optional letter window by holding our finger on the specific letter (key). THANK you, but NOT how to get the phone to save it so it shows it (the name) in predictive text.

I'm confident I am (we are) doing something WRONG, but cannot figure out what.

THANKS and watching for your / another reply.

Upvote 0
It's ok. Believe it or not, working a smartphone isn't common sense and takes getting used to in order to fully utilize it. Glad you were able to figure out how to add the accents. I'm not entirely sure what you are doing wrong (you may not be doing anything wrong at all), so I added some pictures to this post to better visualize what needs to be done. Also, don't be worried if your texting app looks different than mine. I downloaded a different app from the Play Store. This should have nothing to do with the words saving.

1) In the picture below, you can see what happens when I enter in the name "Cesar", with no sort of accent over the "e"
Screenshot_2014-12-15-19-11-07.png

2) Below, you should see what happens when you hold down the letter. From what it sounds like, you guys have mastered this, which is great.
Screenshot_2014-12-15-19-11-19.png

3) This is the important step which I believe you may be having trouble with. Once you are done typing the word in, you need to click the "check" sign in order to save the word. This saves the word to your keyboard forever, or at least until you want to delete it.
Screenshot_2014-12-15-19-12-17.png

4) I put this screenshot in to demonstrate how this should work when all is said and done. Now, if I type in Cesar (without any sort of accents), my phone keyboard wants to change it to Cesar with the accent over the "e". In order to select César and proceed to the next word, I can either click César on the predictive window just above the keyboard, or I can hit the spacebar, which will by default now pick César and not Cesar.
Screenshot_2014-12-15-19-12-44.png

I hope the visuals help. If this doesn't help, I would recommend going into your local AT&T store, or whichever carrier you have. As a previous re-seller of these sort of phones, I found that sometimes the best way is a hands on demo. Hope this works though!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-15-19-11-07.png
    Screenshot_2014-12-15-19-11-07.png
    172.3 KB · Views: 76
Upvote 0
WirelessMike21,

Season's greetings. Try as I may, I am unable to get the + sign or ANY indication I can 'save' / add / etc. the full word (name) Doña. As long as I do not turn the S-4 off, I can keep the name on the clipboard, but NOT 'add' / save it to the word options.

Device name SM-S975L, Model SM-S975L, Android version 4.3, Baseband version S975LUDANB1, Kernel version 3.4.2485535, Build number USS15JS975LUDUANB1

While the pause a letter displays language accents is GREAT to know (THANK YOU), even with patience, there has to be a way to add/save the word to thee S-4's dictionary - spelling - word option(s)!

Any option to-for contacting Samsung designers / engineers?

Best WISHES, 'n HAPPY New Year 2015!

Video Lady

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones