• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to decide which apps to update?

Joe_PDA

Sep 27, 2012
I have my Relay set to notify me but not automatically update apps. Whenever I get notified updates are available, I like to read through what is being updated and to read user reviews of the update.

In so many cases, many users report that a recent update slows down their device, loses some features or causes other problems to their device. Sometimes the updates just require permissions that seem WAY over reaching.

It seems that developers try to add so many features, or fix so many issues that they mess up an otherwise great app.

So I am wondering, how are you guys deciding what apps to update and which updates to pass up?

My point was that I was really surprised to read comments about so many apps that seem to get messed up after developer's update them. Is it that they are trying to squeeze so many new features in that some code gets messed up? Or is it operator error, where the device just simply needs to be rebooted after updating (before Using) and users are not doing that?

Anyway, the vast number of apps I've seen with this situation is amazing.

Upvote 0
Could be that since the specs and internals of every phone is different that some features added to the app to let's say make it faster or implement something new isn't supported by everything, especially older devices.

Hey I agree. The app writers are pretty f'ing amazing, being able to write programs with so many features that will run on so many devices. I was just surprised that almost every app I looked at there seems to be comments that it was a great app before an update. Certainly at the cost of these apps (mostly free) there is no staff to test every feature. I guess our cost is that we become beta testers. Not bad for the ability to have so many cool apps.

One thing I can't understand is app writers like those on Optimum app for Android. How can they write an app for a particular device, that will not work on a device with similar specs?

Upvote 0
My theory is that when an app becomes very popular, updates are more likely to make it worse than better. It's regression to the mean, really. Changing something that does something really well is probably going to have a negative, not positive, effect.

I like the idea of backing up apps before updates, but it seems very time-consuming. I usually take my chances, but there are some apps I refuse to update.

Upvote 0
I think the problem occurs when the app writers try to add more and more features until their app because more bloated than Congress!

I've been using the feedback method. If in the first 20 reviews, the majority of comments are about how, after the update the program is now slow, crashes often or freezes their phones, I just pass on the update. Its been effective so far.

Reactions: RazoE
Upvote 0
I think the problem occurs when the app writers try to add more and more features until their app because more bloated than Congress!

I've been using the feedback method. If in the first 20 reviews, the majority of comments are about how, after the update the program is now slow, crashes often or freezes their phones, I just pass on the update. Its been effective so far.

Yup. But you have to sort the reviews by date.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones