• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to "downgrade" from Gingerbread to Froyo

Zoandroid

Android Expert
May 28, 2010
Ohio - USA
I have looked at the stickies here, but I want to make sure of what I am doing before I start. It appears all of the SBF guides currently displayed are designed to have you end up with stock Gingerbread.

I don't want that. I am on Gingerbread 4.5.605 and want to go back to the last version of Froyo in use just before the GB update OTA was released. Some of you reading this may have seen my other posts regarding the miserable lack of alarm sounding issues I am enduring. Having found no other solution, I'd like to try the suggestion of one fellow who said he downgraded to Froyo and solved the whole issue.

Can someone point me to a guide for downgrading rooted GB to Froyo?

Once I do that, will I need to re-root again? If so, can I still use the same D3 Easy Root app I used to get where I am now, as well as Droid 3 Bootstrapper?

I made it back to Froyo 340 with the help of you good folks. :) I am really hoping this stops the problem I was having with my daily repeating calendar alarms not sounding.

Once I got to Froyo I was able to root again with Droid 3 Easy Root and re-install Droid 2 Bootstrapper Recovery. Then I made a nandroid for future reference and am currently copying the Droid X's SD card to my PC for eventual burning to disc.

Eventually I'll need to do something to prevent receiving OTA notifications for Gingerbread. So far the only way I know how to impede that is to install a custom ROM. Which ones would you say are most popular or your personal favorites? I really have no idea where to look first, although I have always heard good things about Cyanogen. BUT..I'll need a ROM that is for FROYO. ;)

Thanks again for all your help. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones