• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to Enable Sideloading of Apps on Captivate

this is what the message looks like but not mine exactly
unhandled+exception+error.JPG

Upvote 0
this is what the message looks like but not mine exactly

Well posting someone else's error message doesn't help if it's not the same as what you're getting. If you're going to go through the trouble of posting a screenshot, post one that is your actual screen and actual error so that it's of use.

That particular error is a Crystal Reports error.

Upvote 0
Can I suggest annotherr way of editing and manipulating the settings.db file (similar to the XDA method but with a little more safety)? I used a combination of Root Explorer, SQLite Editor and Dropbox, modified from this link. You zip and copy settings.db from your Captivate to Dropbox, then you can edit it in Firefox, zip it, copy it back, and manipulate it from there - or I found I could copy the file to another folder I created (modified market), edit the file in there with SQLite, save the file and then copy it back to the original folder following their directions. The one thing you have to be careful of is making sure you're mounted R/W instead of R/O in Root Explorer or you'll get errors, something like 'permission denied'.

If you have to do a factory reset ever you'll have to repeat the copying over part, but it's easy enough once you've got your modified db.settings file stashed on your pc (I'm pretty sure any folders created by Root Explorer are deleted by the reset). Works a charm
smile.gif

Upvote 0
Yup, there's that, but it depends on USB which, as you and I have discussed many times, can be problematic for some on WinXP boxes. The way I outlined requires only a Dropbox connection, something everyone can do - and with SQLite Editor installed on the Captivate, all you really need to do is move the file to another area, edit it, and then copy it back, replacing the original. That's the simplest of all.

Upvote 0
so i tried all these different ways and to my luck, they did not work. kept getting errors and when i tried to fix those errors i would get more errors so i tried a few different ways mixed together... (i did this on a samsung captivate)

1. Root your phone with these instructions:
HTML:
http://www.intomobile.com/2010/07/21/root-the-att-samsung-captivate-galaxy-s-tutorial/

2. Then get sideload wonder machine at this site:
HTML:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/android-sideload-wonder-machine/40770-ac-sideload-wonder-machine-windows.html

on this site you install sideload wonder machine. follow all directions and if you have problems look to the comments below.

3. sideload these two apps:
HTML:
http://www.imserba.com/forum/root-explorer-v2-14-android-t166515/

HTML:
http://www.mydroid.info/android-apps/sqlite-editor-v1-4-1/

4. install terminal editor which is free on the android market.

5. go to this website and go down to method 3, follow the instructions:
HTML:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=738376

and then youre done. it took me about 4 days for many many processes and they didnt work so i did this in about 2 hours and it worked perfect.. i installed third party apps right away.

-peace, Joe

Upvote 0
I tried it and got "cp:not found" Any suggestions?

I had the same problem. Since I was already rooted tho, I used the app "Root Explorer" to copy settings.db to /sdcard, mounted the SDcard to my PC, used Windows explorer to copy the file from the sdcard to my hard drive, did the edit with the SQL lite firefox extension, copied the new one back to the SDcard, and used "Root Explorer" to copy the edited settings.db file to the /dbdata/databases/com.android.providers.settings/settings.db directory, thus accomplishing the same thing as the commands in ADB shell, but getting around a difference in the location of cp, which is just the unix copy command. And oh yeah, in my settings.db, the "install_non_market_apps" entry was _id3 instead of _id6-I wonder if this is a difference from Froyo, since I'm reading almost year old instructions. But I guess I'm just a lucky noob, I managed to get it working, and can install apps from my SDcard now.

Upvote 0
I was having issues getting the USB driver to work so SDK was not recognizing the Device. However i was able to get this accomplished in a different way. Here's what I did to get rid of the gay message saying i could only install market apps:

First I rooted my device by downloading the captivate recovery file and renaming it to update.zip and coppied it to my removalble storage card and booted into the recovery and selected

Upvote 0
Please do let me know if this works for everyone. :)
:(
you wanted to know if it worked? I missed the chown and chmod commands by typo i think, is there a way to hard reset to factory default or am I just screwed? I wouldn't just ask without reading, but I work 14 hours a day and barely have time to sleep, let alone, read all the posts in the forum about hard resets, I'd be very grateful for a link if there is one, i've tried many different methods that people have said, but I am either doing that wrong too, or else my phone is different in some manner, its a captivate running 2.2.1, rooted, and unlocked so I can switch carriers as needed.. However, I must get my phone back up and running or at least buy a new one.. but I really love my captivate and would be so thankful if someone could please explain how to do this.. It boots up to the point of turning on, and almost loads right into the lock screen, but it stays black and error vibrates/crash vibrates, and no screen but black, the buttons on the quick access bar below the screen glow upon touch, so it must be accessible one would think, even in windows or linux, system file repairs are possible..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones