• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to find a rogue app - battery killer?

magohn

Android Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2010
Hi all,

Im running Mobster 2.5 and up until about a week ago I was enjoying excellent battery life. With an extended battery and light use, I could get close to 3 days from one charge. However, recently the battery is dieing very quickly and I can charge the battery to 100%, take it off charge to place at the side of the bed, and in the morning the phones completely flat. I have monitored during the day with light use and Id say it runs for approx 6 hours before dieing.

I have also tried the stock battery and same results. Something is draining the battery. I am not overclocked and using the 'powersave' setting in CPU Frills (sp?). I purchased Juice Defender Ultimate to see if that would help. Same results.

Is there an app that records individual battery use per app? I looked at the 'battery' page but its so generic and not much help.

Heres a screenshot of the battery usage. Unplugged at bedtime at 100%, 6 hours later (no usage) flat. Stock battery. The 49% is because I had to charge the thing to get it to boot.

Thanks all.

29uymab.png

Well I was hopeful but last night I went to bed at 11pm with the phone at 98% (unplugged). This AM it was at 10%, 8 hours later with zero use. I had Better Battery Stats installed and it showed Firefox as a high usage app. I just replaced that with Chrome. Lets see if that helps.

I like the BBS app but it is a little complex.

Thanks all.

Upvote 0
Not trying to take the thread off-topic, but is there a reason why you don't put it on the charger at night?

I see so many people complaining that their batteries drain overnight, and it just seems the perfect time (to me) to charge it. (My husband doesn't charge his at night, either:D)

Well it will drain fast during the day too. The advantage of a night test (off the charger) is that my obsessive fingers arent playing around with the device and tainting the results. Overnight the phone can sit there and do its thing.

Why Im so curious to fix this is that a few weeks ago I was getting 24 hours on the stock battery and close to 3 days on my extended battery. Now its 6-8 hours on either battery, overnight with zero usage. Something changed, either an updated app or an app I recently installed is killing my battery. I just dumped Firefox for Opera. I tried Chrome but it flickers like crazy on the EVO.

Upvote 0
UPDATE:

At work yesterday I unplugged the phone at 100% charged. By end of day, 9 hours later, in airplane mode, the stock battery was at 92%. I then enabled the 3g, BT, Wifi (5pm). At bedtime (11pm) the phone was at 82% - so far so good. Looked this AM, 8 hours later with no use, and the phone is at 4% !!!! So it lost 78% of its battery sitting idle overnight.

So Im thinking its an app constantly pinging the network. Its so weird as this is a recent issue.

I may install Battery Mix again as BBS is a little too cryptic to informing me whats using what.

Thanks all.

Upvote 0
UPDATE:

At work yesterday I unplugged the phone at 100% charged. By end of day, 9 hours later, in airplane mode, the stock battery was at 92%. I then enabled the 3g, BT, Wifi (5pm). At bedtime (11pm) the phone was at 82% - so far so good. Looked this AM, 8 hours later with no use, and the phone is at 4% !!!! So it lost 78% of its battery sitting idle overnight.

So Im thinking its an app constantly pinging the network. Its so weird as this is a recent issue.

I may install Battery Mix again as BBS is a little too cryptic to informing me whats using what.

Thanks all.

Look at partial wake locks and alarms in bbs. That will tell you what's waking up the phone

Upvote 0
hmmmmm - I see com.android.email has performed 338 Wakeups (Alarms) in the last 1:20 mins. that doesnt seem right ! :thinking:

UPDATE: After disabling the google sync and rebooting, I left the phone overnight and this AM at the 10 hour mark I had 20% battery left. Definitely an improvement but I will see if anything else is going on. I used to be at around 50% after a full-night of 'off-charger' activity.

P.S. The com.android.email wakeups were reduced to 52 over 10 hours - much better.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones