how to flash the radio update?

Last Updated:

1. danglr09

danglr09 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i downloaded the newest radio update and i booted into clockworkmod and installed but when i went into about phone the radio version stayed the same.. please help

Advertisement
  2. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

You don't install a radio in clockworkmod. You have to name it PB31IMG.ZIP, put it in root of sdcard, boot into HBOOT and it should install automatically and then allow you to reboot.

iowabowtech likes this.
  3. djl236

djl236 Well-Known Member

Take this advice, but make sure it is named PB31IMG.zip and NOT PB31IMG.zip.zip.....if you're Windows OS settings are set to hide known file extensions you won't see the .zip file extension.

4. danglr09

how do i boot into hboot?

5. danglr09

nevermind got it thanks :)

6. danglr09

dont know if it worked though

7. danglr09

yeah it didnt work

8. welbinator

welbinator Well-Known Member

are you S-OFF?

9. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

If the file loads then it will ask you to hit the volume up button to agree to the update. After the update completes, (it should say "don't power off while updating") you will hit the vol up key again to reboot. If you don't get both those prompts you didn't install it.

10. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

^^That. Your SD card also needs to be FAT32 format to run the image file from hboot.

11. welbinator

welbinator Well-Known Member

you get this working yet? Make sure you card is Fat32 like Iowa said, then go to www.unrevoked.com/forever you can't flash a radio update (atleast not easily) unless you are S-OFF. You can see if you are S-OFF when you're in hboot. if you've never been to the site I just posted then it should say S-ON which means your security is still on.

12. chcoclate8175

chcoclate8175 New Member

I was having the problem where hboot wouldn't find the PB31IMG.zip as well, i looked at my sd card and it was formatted to FAT, not FAT 32. Backed up my sd card and reformatted into FAT 32, then restored my backup onto my card and ran the hboot sequence again. This time...great success!!! Thanks for the knowledge!

13. jamala00

jamala00 Well-Known Member

Why did Verizon update the Radio? correct me if I am wrong, but to me the Radio is one of those things that if it is not broke don't fix it... I know the same thing with some iPhone guys that jailbreak all the time. They update software but never update the Radio. I can update this Radio but is there any real reason to? Is anybody really noticing a difference. I think it could actually have the opposite effect on some, actually make things worse??

14. Rob.G

Rob.G Well-Known Member

There's no need to update the radio. Some say that it has improved their reception, while others say there was no change and in 1 case I saw a person said it made his reception worse. So if you are fine with how your phone is, then don't change the radio. If your having reception issues, you could try it.