• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to get rid of Google Assistant reading out notifications??

OM2

Android Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2010
A few days ago, my dumb phone started speaking out notifications.
When I got a message on Whatsapp, it would say xyz has sent a message.
Specifically: "When you hear a notification chime you can press and hold the action button to hear the notification".

I never turned this on.

I've searched the internet high and low and can't find an answer.
I then listened to the words of the message - as quoted above and searched.
So it turns out to be the dumb Google Assistant.
I still can't find any instructions to turn off.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S10+.

I've found instructions previously where some kind person shows all menus to get to a setting to turn off voice prompts notification.
PROBLEM: I don't have the same menu.

I'll miss one notification and not press the 'action' button.
Then it will repeatedly for each subsequent message say: as you have decided not to respond, I'll play this sound - it will KEEP playing this message for every new message.

This is the MOST annoying thing ever
How and why did it get turned on??
How do I turn it off???
I've been through loads of settings - can't find.
I've tried to find Google Assistant settings - can't find.

What gives?

@Milo Williamson pressing the bottom middle cell brings up Google Assistant. There are no options to control setup there.
The notifications happen all on their own. It's not just Whatsapp - it's other apps to.

@ocnbrze accessibility settings: been there done that.
I'm sure I'm missing something that is in front of my face - but I've literally spent an hour in total trawling through settings.
The brilliant thing on settings is there's a search facility - no need to navigate through menus! Just search.
Alas... I can't find anything from searching 'notification', 'voice' or other things.

HELP!

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
@AugieTN Thanks!
Your suggestion made no sense - why would I want to click on devices?? There are no devices connected.
The phone is going mad all on its own!

Anyway... I followed your instructions...
I messed around a bit. No luck.
Then I turned off for wired connections.
It worked!! Aaaaargh! Why why why!?
Then I turned it back on - and it's still OK! The damn notifications aren't back
So weird

Thanks mate

Upvote 0
The purpose to connect your phone to your auto is to provide hands and vision free communications. If it is annoying you, turning off BT or removing the BT connection should be your solution. ....unless I'm misunderstanding the problem you are experiencing.

I think you misunderstand my situation. My phone is connected to my car's Bluetooth, I'm listening to music, maybe using the maps app. Every time a friend sends a message to group in messenger, or a server on discord, Google dictation interrupts what I'm listening to in order to tell me. It never used to do this, and I can't find a setting to disable it. I have no idea why someone would possibly want this feature.

Reactions: CoolDroid72
Upvote 0
I think you misunderstand my situation. My phone is connected to my car's Bluetooth, I'm listening to music, maybe using the maps app. Every time a friend sends a message to group in messenger, or a server on discord, Google dictation interrupts what I'm listening to in order to tell me. It never used to do this, and I can't find a setting to disable it. I have no idea why someone would possibly want this feature.

If you can't disable, suggest you uninstall the Google Assistant completely.

So you want to use Discord while you're driving a car? Okay!! I don't really know what to suggest to that! Except that you really should concentrate on driving, if the vehicle is in motion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here are some steps you can try to resolve this issue:

1. Open the Google Assistant settings: Launch the Google app on your phone, tap on the More tab at the bottom right, and then select "Settings." Alternatively, you can also access the Google Assistant settings by long-pressing the home button and tapping on the Explore icon (compass-shaped) at the bottom-left corner, then tap on your profile picture at the top-right and select "Settings."
  2. Access the Assistant tab: In the Google Assistant settings, look for tab or option called "Assistant" or "Assistant tab." Tap on it to proceed.
  3. Notifications settings: Within the Assistant tab, scroll down and look for the "Phone" section. Tap on "Phone" to access the settings related to your device. thesambadlottery
  4. Disable spoken notifications: Look for an option like "Spoken notifications," "Notification sounds," or similar wording. Disable this option to stop Google Assistant from speaking out notifications.
If you're unable to find these specific settings in the Google Assistant menu, please note that the exact steps might vary slightly based on the version of the Google app installed on your device. In that case, you can try the following general steps:

1. Open the Settings app on your Samsung Galaxy S10+.
  2. Scroll down and select "Apps" or "Applications."
  3. Tap on "Google" from the list of installed apps.
  4. Select "Notifications" or "App notifications."
  5. Look for an option related to spoken notifications or notification sounds. Disable it to stop Google Assistant from speaking out notifications.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones