• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to go cloud only for pics & videos? I'm out of space

Stalefish83

Lurker
Mar 14, 2014
I have a Samsung Galaxy S-III and I’m out of space on my phone. I want to be able to store all of my images and video on the cloud to free up space on my phone, and I can’t seem to figure it out.

I’m seeing that Google Drive has 100gigs for something like $3 a month, and that would be more than enough space, at least for now, and so I started moving pictures from my stock gallery into Drive, then deleting them from may gallery.

Problem is, when I delete them from my gallery, it also deletes it from Google Drive. Lo and behold, my stock gallery is Google photos (Google+ maybe? … it’s the windmill icon). I also have an actual “Gallery” (the box with a yellow flower) which is probably the “actual” stock gallery, but my phone has always had both, and I like the interface of (what I’m guessing is) Google+ Photos, so I’ve been using that.

If I could do it all in Google+ I would prefer that, but I can’t find anywhere in there where you can pay for cloud space. And when I move the pictures from there to Drive, then delete them, they get deleted from Drive to. Is my only option to get a bigger sd card? I’d rather just pay a few bucks for cloud storage and have that be the only place the pictures are stored so my phone stops freaking out that it’s out of space.

Thanks for any help you can offer

I'd go with the SD, main problem with cloud is that it depends having internet connectivity, no internet=no cloud, and unless you have a truly unlimited wireless data plan, could be limited to WiFi only, or you're extremely rich....$$$$

How much media have you got and want to store? S3 can definitely take up to 32GB SD, might be more but you'd have to check with Samsung for that. Unless someone on here knows of course. :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0
Looks like the S3 can do up to 64 gigs. Here's one from Amazon that's only $25
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Memor...5078973&sr=8-1&keywords=sandisk+64gb+micro+sd

That's quite a bit cheaper than I was expecting! Does this seem like a decent SD card?

Thanks for the help, mikedt

That's sold by Amazon themselves and not a third-party vendor, so should be OK there. :thumbsupdroid: There are a lot of fake SDs around that just don't work, with typical symptoms being, copying all your music but hardly anything plays.

When you do get it, test it first just to make sure it's actually OK before committing all your media to it. Do keep a backup as well, maybe in the cloud or on a PC, especially for stuff that's irreplaceable, like your photos and videos.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Look into Google Photos. Unlimited free photo storage.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.photos

Google Photos basically is replacing Google+ (which I couldn't deal with) for photo/video storage. Really pretty slick.

I also use Google Drive and Dropbox for storing everything including photos. Don't miss having a SD card one bit. Cloud storage doesn't get lost stolen or corrupted. And it's accessible from anywhere using anything with a browser.

No need to be rich, just need to use common sense. Do large uploads/downloads on WiFi so you don't bust your data plan. Use free storage accounts.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones