• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help how to hide the location?

louis2008

Nov 13, 2015
when using ANY mobile devices, what are the techniques used to determine the location of the devices?

GPS ? WiFi ? SIM card? In addition to these three, anything else that could be used to determine the location?

If I disable the location service in the Android, could any Apps override the rules / authority and obtain my location?

Is Android designed to avoid that?

Thank you!

when using ANY mobile devices, what are the techniques used to determine the location of the devices?

GPS ? WiFi ? SIM card? In addition to these three, anything else that could be used to determine the location?

If I disable the location service in the Android, could any Apps override the rules / authority and obtain my location?

Who do you want to keep your location secret from?

If it's an app developer, check the app's permissions before installing, and if you don't think it needs location access don't install it. If you are running Android 6 (or are running 4.3-5.X and install an App Ops app - root needed from 4.4 onwards) you can deny a particular app access to location permissions.

If it's your carrier, put it in airplane mode - if you have a cellular connection then they by definition know roughly where you are (because they can tell what cell you are connected to).

If it's your country's security services, who knows? Best bet is to not carry the phone ;)

As for the last question, any app that has the permission to change system settings could override your disabling of location services. I don't know whether Marshmallow allows you to disable that permission for an app, because my own phone isn't running that Marshmallow. The defence against this is not to install an app with that permission unless you trust the developer - if you install an app that has the permission to change system settings then the OS will let it do that, because the implication of your installing it is that you want it to have that capability. But by the same token you should always ask the questions "do I trust the developer" and "does the app need to be able to do this" about any app before installing it. People don't, but they should.

Upvote 0
Who do you want to keep your location secret from?

If it's an app developer, check the app's permissions before installing, and if you don't think it needs location access don't install it. If you are running Android 6 (or are running 4.3-5.X and install an App Ops app - root needed from 4.4 onwards) you can deny a particular app access to location permissions.

If it's your carrier, put it in airplane mode - if you have a cellular connection then they by definition know roughly where you are (because they can tell what cell you are connected to).

If it's your country's security services, who knows? Best bet is to not carry the phone ;)

As for the last question, any app that has the permission to change system settings could override your disabling of location services. I don't know whether Marshmallow allows you to disable that permission for an app, because my own phone isn't running that Marshmallow. The defence against this is not to install an app with that permission unless you trust the developer - if you install an app that has the permission to change system settings then the OS will let it do that, because the implication of your installing it is that you want it to have that capability. But by the same token you should always ask the questions "do I trust the developer" and "does the app need to be able to do this" about any app before installing it. People don't, but they should.

1. I do not trust the developer totally.
2. but unfortunately, I must install their apps for their services.
3. If the apps has the ability to change and override my location setting, then what's the meaningfulness of allowing the user to enable or disable the location privacy in the general Android setting?

Upvote 0

Thank you!
To "hide" the location selector in quick settings, simply edit your ribbon in settings by holding the location icon and putting it in the trash.
6c15668eaeb79589acc036612391a40c.jpg

The setting location is System Settings > Notification drawer > select & order tiles (varies by OEM - CM12.1 shown).

53740666a24cbbe4a4a329ea23304a46.jpg

To disable location entirely, turn it off.
System Settings > Location [Switch OFF]

To disable by app, modify it's permissions.
System Settings > Application Manager > pick an app > Modify -OR-
System Settings > Privacy > " Guard > Advanced (overflow).
THIS MAY BREAK SOME APP FEATURES. TREAD LIGHTLY.
Secondary method shown
8a6b48aa6c78d36d8283690ce9d8bf63.jpg

Upvote 0
1. I do not trust the developer totally.
Fair enough.
2. but unfortunately, I must install their apps for their services.
Or not use the service. Sometimes there is an alternative, such as using a browser rather than their app, but sometimes that is the choice.
3. If the apps has the ability to change and override my location setting, then what's the meaningfulness of allowing the user to enable or disable the location privacy in the general Android setting?
Because very few apps have the privilege to change system settings. So check privileges before installing an app, and if it doesn't have the ability to change system settings it cannot override your setting. If it does have that privilege, ask yourself whether it needs it to do it's job (for example an automation app like Tasker does need this, a messaging app should not).

Be wary of installing apps that have permissions that aren't needed for their function, though sometimes this is just lazy coding by the developer rather than malice (can't be bothered to understand the permissions system so asks for more than needed), and sometimes there are reasons which might not be obvious (e.g. a flashlight may need camera access just in order to activate the flash). And never install a security app from someone you don't wholly trust, because they do require all of the permissions needed to completely own your device.

Upvote 0
Fair enough.

Or not use the service. Sometimes there is an alternative, such as using a browser rather than their app, but sometimes that is the choice.

Because very few apps have the privilege to change system settings. So check privileges before installing an app, and if it doesn't have the ability to change system settings it cannot override your setting. If it does have that privilege, ask yourself whether it needs it to do it's job (for example an automation app like Tasker does need this, a messaging app should not).

Hi, this is very interesting to me. Do you mean before I download and install the apps, I can look carefully to see if it has the authorities to change my system settings? What are usually the key vocabulary items for that in case it's allowed to change my system

If it could change my system setting and it changes it really, will I be able to check in the Android setting?

Reactions: eshieldsvx4
Upvote 0
The Play Store lists the permissions for every app as part of its description. Look for a little link near the bottom. "modify system settings" is the one I'd look out for here. You can also check it for any apps installed through the Play Store by opening the Play Store app, looking through your installed apps, then in that app description look for "permission details". You can also see permissions of installed apps using Settings > Apps (at the bottom of each app's information), and there are apps like Addons Detector that can provide a summary of the permissions of installed apps, so you can view all apps that have a particular permission (the permission names are more technical, but android.permission.WRITE_SETTINGS is I think the one).

If you install an app directly from the apk the package installer should show you the permissions before you confirm installation (certainly mine does). I don't know what third party app stores do.

If an app were to modify settings and then change them back you can tell if you have the App Ops app I mentioned earlier (an early version of permissions management, needs root with some OS versions). With that I can view whether this permission has ever been used by an app. I don't know whether the Marshmallow permissions system let's you see this, but from what I've read I think with MM it's supposed to get the ok from you the first time a permission is used (noting that I've no actual experience of Marshmallow).

Reactions: eshieldsvx4
Upvote 0
The Play Store lists the permissions for every app as part of its description. Look for a little link near the bottom. "modify system settings" is the one I'd look out for here. You can also check it for any apps installed through the Play Store by opening the Play Store app, looking through your installed apps, then in that app description look for "permission details". You can also see permissions of installed apps using Settings > Apps (at the bottom of each app's information), and there are apps like Addons Detector that can provide a summary of the permissions of installed apps, so you can view all apps that have a particular permission (the permission names are more technical, but android.permission.WRITE_SETTINGS is I think the one).

If you install an app directly from the apk the package installer should show you the permissions before you confirm installation (certainly mine does). I don't know what third party app stores do.

If an app were to modify settings and then change them back you can tell if you have the App Ops app I mentioned earlier (an early version of permissions management, needs root with some OS versions). With that I can view whether this permission has ever been used by an app. I don't know whether the Marshmallow permissions system let's you see this, but from what I've read I think with MM it's supposed to get the ok from you the first time a permission is used (noting that I've no actual experience of Marshmallow).
The screenshots I provides are from Android 5.1.1. AppOps was made a part of this version upwards.

Remember though, disabling some permissions may break some features or even cause bootloops.

Do nor force Play Services to stay asleep or never wake up. The bootloop was so agonizing even safe mode seemed hard to control...

Upvote 0
Fair enough.

Be wary of installing apps that have permissions that aren't needed for their function, though sometimes this is just lazy coding by the developer rather than malice (can't be bothered to understand the permissions system so asks for more than needed), and sometimes there are reasons which might not be obvious (e.g. a flashlight may need camera access just in order to activate the flash). And never install a security app from someone you don't wholly trust, because they do require all of the permissions needed to completely own your device.

At least I've found that in my XiaoMi 4i, with location service being disabled for all apps in the phone setting, WeChat could still locate and show nearby people without even one box popping up notifying me that location
service is running. This is very ridiculous in my opinion and it's a big trap to the user who cares their location privacy.

I have got another device that is Samsung J5 running on Android 5.1.1.

What can I do now to make sure that some or all of the apps installed will not be able to obtain my location and things will not happen like Xiaomi 4i? (that WeChat could still get my location while I have disabled the location service)

Thank you all .

Upvote 0
At least I've found that in my XiaoMi 4i, with location service being disabled for all apps in the phone setting, WeChat could still locate and show nearby people without even one box popping up notifying me that location
service is running. This is very ridiculous in my opinion and it's a big trap to the user who cares their location privacy.

I have got another device that is Samsung J5 running on Android 5.1.1.

What can I do now to make sure that some or all of the apps installed will not be able to obtain my location and things will not happen like Xiaomi 4i? (that WeChat could still get my location while I have disabled the location service)

Thank you all .
It might not be using your phone locale. Some applications can create custom network protocols that allow them to access location in a more unique way.

This permission is in most META-inf files as android.permission.INTERNET, but you know it better as "Full Network Access".

Upvote 0

hi I missed some of your terms earlier.. what is "AppOps " ? and what is "needs root with some OS version" ?? I've checked my Android version, that is Android 5.1.1. Will I have to "root“ my OS version??

While it looks like default Android system would allow you to view the permission of AppOps and in location privacy it will show the apps that recently requested the users' location. Why bother installing AppOps to check the permission?

I am confused? Sorry!

Upvote 0
hi I missed some of your terms earlier.. what is "AppOps " ? and what is "needs root with some OS version" ?? I've checked my Android version, that is Android 5.1.1. Will I have to "root“ my OS version??

While it looks like default Android system would allow you to view the permission of AppOps and in location privacy it will show the apps that recently requested the users' location. Why bother installing AppOps to check the permission?

I am confused? Sorry!

You're running 5.x so no other steps are needed. Look for the "Modify" Button in the App info page for any third party app.

Some system apps will show fewer if not any switches as limiting them could break your phone.

The person you quoted has also brought up an important point: Writing System Settings requires root access if it isn't being perpetrated by a system app.

Go Power Master, for instance, can control Airplane Mode using that permission but needs root access. While third party app stores are frowned upon, I use Aptoide, but usually to get preview updates before they appear on the Play store.

Apps are bound by a developer signature. If they don't match it won't update.

Upvote 0
You're running 5.x so no other steps are needed. Look for the "Modify" Button in the App info page for any third party app.

Some system apps will show fewer if not any switches as limiting them could break your phone.

The person you quoted has also brought up an important point: Writing System Settings requires root access if it isn't being perpetrated by a system app.

Go Power Master, for instance, can control Airplane Mode using that permission but needs root access. While third party app stores are frowned upon, I use Aptoide, but usually to get preview updates before they appear on the Play store.

Apps are bound by a developer signature. If they don't match it won't update.

Sorry I am so confused for two reasons. 1. My English is not good . 2. I am not a tech geek in any way.

So now, in my Android 5.1.1 Samsung device with "location" disabled in the phone setting, is it enough to make sure the third party apps will not know my location ? Before installation of the apps, they claim that they have the privilge to get my location.

Or do I have to do anything now extra to make sure that the apps could not get my location under normal condition....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones