• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to keep screen non responsive

RVDowning

Dec 8, 2012
My phone is becoming a nightmare. (Samsung M51) This morning during a 5k race my music stopped, the cadence I was listening to which was superimposed over the music stopped, and someone answered my phone and said thanks for calling. Is there no way to keep the phone non responsive until I press the on/off button? I keep it in a pouch under my waistband and can't seem to keep it from responding to errant screen pressure.

All I want is for the screen to remain off (and unresponsive to any incidental touches) until I turn it on using the side button. It shouldn't be this hard.

This next paragraph is SOLVED.
Also, as of this morning, when I turn the display on, instead of it staying on, it goes off after about 5 seconds, even though I have always-on set. There is also some wallpaper shown that I can't get rid of. I don't want any wallpapers, but I can't seem to get rid of them. I get a "swipe to open" message. This happens every time I turn the screen off using the side button.

It seems that during my run this morning my lock screen type was changed from none to swipe.

It will be responding to skin conduction rather than screen pressure, so more material between the screen and your body will stop it (I used to get this occasionally in a pocket, but have not had a single accidental wake/response since I started using a flip cover case). Or wearing it screen-outward, since your waistband won't activate the screen (I assume your waistband is non-conductive ;)).

You could check that there are no tap to wake or similar functions set, and also that notifications can't wake the screen (another scenario is that a notification wakes the screen, then rubbing against you triggers some action). And of course you want a screen lock active, which will make it hard to accidentally trigger any action even if the screen does wake. But simply putting more "insulation" between the screen and your body should work fine. As an example, I can wake my phone's screen by pressing through 2 layers of my T-shirt (though I can't unlock it with the fingerprint scanner that way), but no amount of pressure or tapping will wake it through the cover of my phone's case. So a thick enough layer between the screen and your body will stop it, but maybe your pouch is too thin?

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
It will be responding to skin conduction rather than screen pressure, so more material between the screen and your body will stop it (I used to get this occasionally in a pocket, but have not had a single accidental wake/response since I started using a flip cover case). Or wearing it screen-outward, since your waistband won't activate the screen (I assume your waistband is non-conductive ;)).

You could check that there are no tap to wake or similar functions set, and also that notifications can't wake the screen (another scenario is that a notification wakes the screen, then rubbing against you triggers some action). And of course you want a screen lock active, which will make it hard to accidentally trigger any action even if the screen does wake. But simply putting more "insulation" between the screen and your body should work fine. As an example, I can wake my phone's screen by pressing through 2 layers of my T-shirt (though I can't unlock it with the fingerprint scanner that way), but no amount of pressure or tapping will wake it through the cover of my phone's case. So a thick enough layer between the screen and your body will stop it, but maybe your pouch is too thin?
I use a roosport pouch and the screen is always pointing outward, away from my body. I also have the setting checked for it to ignore errant touches such as when the phone is in one's pocket. However I am not using a screen lock. Maybe I should consider putting on a screen lock before my run, and removing it afterwards.

Upvote 0
That will certainly help.

Not sure how the touchscreen is responding without some conductive contact though. It could be woken by a notification, or perhaps even pressure on the power button, but a capacitive touchscreen needs something conductive to respond to (e.g. I can scroll my phone's screen with my watch's titanium bracelet, but not with my finger through a few mm of cotton). So there must be something conductive coming in contact, directly of through a thin enough layer of fabric.

Upvote 0
That will certainly help.

Not sure how the touchscreen is responding without some conductive contact though. It could be woken by a notification, or perhaps even pressure on the power button, but a capacitive touchscreen needs something conductive to respond to (e.g. I can scroll my phone's screen with my watch's titanium bracelet, but not with my finger through a few mm of cotton). So there must be something conductive coming in contact, directly of through a thin enough layer of fabric.
My running shorts do get wet, and the shorts do rub against the fabric of the pouch which probably also gets damp, and that part of the pouch does rub against the screen. Yesterday's 5k had temperature in the mid 70s with 100% humidity.

Also, there are Samsung apps that I can't uninstall and that don't allow notifications to be disabled.

Upvote 0
Not uninstall I understand, but which ones don't allow notifications to be blocked?

We don't know that it's notifications waking it, that's just a possibility. But one possible workaround for that is Do Not Disturb mode: by default that blocks all app notifications (you can set it to let some or all calls and messages through, or notifications from apps you want).

Upvote 0
Not uninstall I understand, but which ones don't allow notifications to be blocked?

We don't know that it's notifications waking it, that's just a possibility. But one possible workaround for that is Do Not Disturb mode: by default that blocks all app notifications (you can set it to let some or all calls and messages through, or notifications from apps you want).
I don't remember which didn't allow notifications to be blocked. But it was one that would also not allow itself to be uninstalled. I'll have to wait for another such notification and then report back. I used to use Do Not Disturb until I came to the conclusion that it didn't make any difference. I was still getting the same problem.

Upvote 0

Ok, found at least one of the culprits: Smart Things Framework. I can't uninstall it and I can't turn off notifications. It sent me a notification about something yesterday, but I don't remember what it was. I don't know if there are more of these annoying things or not. If I come across another I'll report back.

I had no issues on my run this morning. I put a lock screen on, and then took it off after the run.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones