• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to limit data transfer

B

bisanu

hi guys, i am having a bit of problem. i bought a monthly 50MB package for surfing the net. now, because this is a low package which can easily be used i would like to know if there is a way to limit this usage to 50MB, or if there is an app that controls that. and now after my phone is connected to internet should i expect some data transfer while i'm not surfing?

thanks

and now after my phone is connected to internet should i expect some data transfer while i'm not surfing?

Your Google Mail, Contacts and Calendars are synced in background (unless you turned that off), but that has more impact on battery, rather than on traffic consumption. Traffic-wise Google Sync should normally be well below 50mb per month, as attachments are not downloaded automatically. Your widgets may update currency exchange rates, download twitter/facebook/what-have-you updates, fetch weather forecast, etc. But again, this is not much traffic! You are probably surfing image-rich websites during the month. Consider using Opera Mini - in your case it should save a fortune and keep you within your monthly quota.

Upvote 0
I have used the free app "3G Watchdog" in the past. It is a nice way to monitor your network usage, though, as Informale mentioned, I was so far below my limit (250 MB) I eventually quit using it as there was no need.

"APNdroid" is great for killing/restoring the data connection, but may not be of much use in your situation without also knowing how much bandwidth you have used.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones