• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to PROPERLY sync Chrome bookmarks

OK, so I searched tirelessly online to find a quick, easy instruction on how to move my Chrome bookmarks from my Android smartphone to my Android Tablet.

I could not find anything online that details exactly how you know which device is the SENDING ONLY device, and which is the RECEIVING ONLY device. I don't want SYNC, I want SEND/RECEIVE lol.

I guess I'm not entirely sure how sync works. Which device gets changed to mimic which device?

I have a phone and tablet, both logged onto my google account and neither device is currently set up to sync. Do I enable both devices for sync? And then, what data gets gained/lost on each device? Why the hell can't they just have a SEND BOOKMARKS feature! I hate Android lol.

I think I played around with syncing a few years ago, and I lost my bookmarks. It seems the device with the lesser amount of bookmarks was the "sending" device, and the other device with all the bookmarks "synced" to the sending device. I don't want that happening again.

Seems like it shouldn't be that difficult. Just have SEND/RECEIVE in addition to SYNC function :rolleyes:

Thanks all.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
they do its in your chrome browser settings on either your pc or android device:
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/165139?co=GENIE.Platform=Android&oco=1

go into your chrome browser settings.....its the three dots at the top right corner of your browser. find sync within the settings and then select sync everything.

Yes, Of course I know they have sync, hence by original question. What I'm looking for is an explanation of how things "sync".

Let's say for example, I have 2 devices. Device #1 has 5 bookmarks, Device #2 has 100 bookmarks.

If I "sync" them, does device #2 loose all of it's bookmarks in order to "sync" to device #1?

What is the criteria by which things are "synced"? That is my question. Which device takes precedence of "giving" the data, and which is the "receiver" of data?

Upvote 0
First off, are you logged in to your Gmail account on these devices?
Sync is not receive / giving, device specific, so regardless of 100 bookmarks on one and 5 on the other, Chrome will inherit all bookmarks and subfolders of bookmarks, meaning none will be lost across all devices.
All of your devices will now have all bookmarks, shared in real time

Upvote 0
In my experience syncing bookmarks with Chrome, bookmarks from each machine are added to the others. So if I have 5 on my phone and 100 on my PC, I end up with 100 in both places. A couple things to note is that I get a mobile bookmarks folder and a bookmarks folder, so they don't all end up in one place. Also, I occasionally get duplicate links if the URL's aren't exactly the same.

If you want granular control over the synchronization, perhaps you could explore exporting and importing your bookmarks. You could get them set up just how you want, then turn on sync.

Upvote 0
First off, are you logged in to your Gmail account on these devices?
Sync is not receive / giving, device specific, so regardless of 100 bookmarks on one and 5 on the other, Chrome will inherit all bookmarks and subfolders of bookmarks, meaning none will be lost across all devices.
All of your devices will now have all bookmarks, shared in real time

Ah thank you. I feel better about trying it now.

Upvote 0
In my experience syncing bookmarks with Chrome, bookmarks from each machine are added to the others. So if I have 5 on my phone and 100 on my PC, I end up with 100 in both places. A couple things to note is that I get a mobile bookmarks folder and a bookmarks folder, so they don't all end up in one place. Also, I occasionally get duplicate links if the URL's aren't exactly the same.

If you want granular control over the synchronization, perhaps you could explore exporting and importing your bookmarks. You could get them set up just how you want, then turn on sync.

Thank you so much. I feel more confident on enabling sync on both devices and initiating it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones