• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to remotely turn on PC?

Ok, I actually had that one downloaded already...
subnet is 255.255.255.255, correct? I have all the other information, just need to forward my router to port 9 and enable magic packet/WoL in the BIOS.

Yes you use 255.255.255.255 subnet mask when using wol outside of your network. When using wol internally, you use 0.0.0.0

well it's not really that straight forward....but it might work.

The tricky part about setting up a wan WOL is getting your router to forward the magic packet. Since your comp won't have a local ip address when it is off, your router will have to broadcast the packet across your network. However, for security reason most routers will not let you port forward to a broadcast address (such as 192.168.1.255), so you'll have to find other means. One way around it is to setup a reserve static ip address for your computer on your router with a matching MAC address - Although I can't say if this will work 100% of the time. Another way to get it working is to use a 3rd firmware on your router (like DDR-WRT), where you can manually enter in a static ARP to match up your MAC with an ip.

oh another thing is some WOL use port 7 instead of 9.

Upvote 0
Ok, I actually had that one downloaded already...
subnet is 255.255.255.255, correct? I have all the other information, just need to forward my router to port 9 and enable magic packet/WoL in the BIOS.

Yes you use 255.255.255.255 subnet mask when using wol outside of your network. When using wol internally, you use 0.0.0.0

well it's not really that straight forward....but it might work.

The tricky part about setting up a wan WOL is getting your router to forward the magic packet. Since you comp won't have an local ip address when it is off, your router will have to broadcast the packet across your network. However, for security reason most routers will not let you port forward to a broadcast address (such as 192.168.1.255), you'll have to find other means. One way around it is to setup a reserve static address for your comp on your router with a matching MAC address (Although I can't say if this will work 100% of the time). Another way to get it working is to use a 3rd party firmware on your router (like DDR-WRT), where you can manually enter in a static ARP to match up your MAC with an ip.

oh another thing is some WOL use port 7 instead of 9.

Upvote 0
Thanks, dylo, for stepping in when I was away.

@DeepEmissions - yeah, technically, it is still functioning from the local, but the router is really only forwarding so it could be argued both ways.

IIRC, RDP has WOL built in to it so that it does not need port 7/9 forwarded also - I just used, hmm, 3389(?) as my external port and forwarded that to my internal IP address of one of the two NICs on my computer, making sure that was the same NIC that WOL was enabled on.

DD-WRT is a good thing - but won't work on most Buffalo-based routers. And my understanding is that all D-Links are Buffalo based - or very nearly all of them.

Upvote 0
My router is a Linksys/Cisco WRT-110...which doesn't support DD-WRT unfortunately.

When I tried using WoL Magic Packet Sender, using UDP I don't get a response, and it doesn't work. Using TCP/IP I get: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it then displays my public IP address/port number.
My router is set to do both, UDP and TCP/IP under port forwarding.

@johnlgalt: what do you mean use it with RDP, use that same port number to send the magic packet to?

Upvote 0
I have my PC set to wake on LAN on the NIC that has that particular IP address assigned to it, and when I try to remote in to the PC I simply fire up the RDP client, try to connect, and usually it fails first try - I try again a second time and I can log in - I've always attributed it to the PC just waking up. I never use any other software to actually send said magic packet.

Upvote 0
Umm, wait. You said you cannot use Windows Remote connection, but you can RDP. I must have misunderstood - I thought you meant RDP was not working.

Hmm, yea I can successfully use RDP.

My motherboard is here

I am trying to look for the exact specs, but I do know inside of Windows I can set the NIC to enable Wake on Magic Packet and enable Wake on Pattern. Under power management of the NIC, I checked 'Enable this device to wake this computer' but under that I DID have it checked to ONLY allow a magic packet to wake the computer. I unchecked that, maybe then RDP might turn it on like you do it?

Upvote 0
I use No-IP to assign a static hostname to my dynamic IP.

No-IP - Dynamic DNS, Static DNS for Your Dynamic IP

Then, depending upon your router, you'll either need to set up a IP and post that allows you to send specific protocol requests to specific IPs on your network, or else enable a specific protocol via a virtual server (which is really the same thing, just named differently).

Then, you'll finally be able to test the magic packet function of your NIC.

I also highly recommend that you attach this computer to a UPS of some sort if you're going to do this - it's pretty easy to have a violent thunderstorm 5 miles away from your current location and you may never know. Also, it would help in case the power went out at your home - the connection would still be going (provided everything required to maintain the link is on that UPS - computer, modem, router, etc.

last but not least is the protocol you want to use - you already have RDP so you'll want an RDP app on your phone - I use Xtalogic's Remote Desktop myself, but I've heard good stuff about a couple of others as well.

Hey man, do you know any tutorial or step by step for this?
Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones