• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to restore a phone?

jungleexplorer

Android Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2011
Texas
Everyone of us has had to do a factory reset on our phones for one reason or another. If your like me, it takes you a lot of work to get the phone back to where it was before the Reset. Now, there are a lot of service that will restore some data to your phone like, contacts , calendar and stuff like that, my question is, is there a way to completely restore your phone back to the exact state it was before the reset.

Let me give you and example. On my phone, I like quick access to call my friends and family. So, I create little contact icons (with their picture) on my home screen, so when I want to call them, all I have to do is punch them in the nose. LOL! I keep all my most commonly used apps on other home screens. Okay, so every time I do a reset, I have to go back and set this all back up from scratch to get it back to the way I want it.

Another thing is I have a lot of apps that require account logins. After a reset, I have go back in a and manually log back into each one of them. More time. And most of the time, I have to re download and install most them manually because Google Play sync fails to get them back on my phone.

Obviously, this all a real pain in the butt, which is why my phone has to be in a real bad way before I will do a factory reset on it. So, my question is, surely there is an app out there that can back up all of your phone custom settings and stuff, so that once you do a factory reset to fix the OS problems, your phone can be restored back to the same state it was before the reset. Is there such a thing?

Don't have practical experience to restore a mobile phone. But I have reset my phone too many times. Is they are same thing?

No, restoring the phone's previous content is different step from resetting. Resetting the phone is the same for all the phones while the nature of content that needs to be restored depends on each user.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
Everyone of us has had to do a factory reset on our phones for one reason or another. If your like me, it takes you a lot of work to get the phone back to where it was before the Reset. Now, there are a lot of service that will restore some data to your phone like, contacts , calendar and stuff like that, my question is, is there a way to completely restore your phone back to the exact state it was before the reset.

Let me give you and example. On my phone, I like quick access to call my friends and family. So, I create little contact icons (with their picture) on my home screen, so when I want to call them, all I have to do is punch them in the nose. LOL! I keep all my most commonly used apps on other home screens. Okay, so every time I do a reset, I have to go back and set this all back up from scratch to get it back to the way I want it.

Another thing is I have a lot of apps that require account logins. After a reset, I have go back in a and manually log back into each one of them. More time. And most of the time, I have to re download and install most them manually because Google Play sync fails to get them back on my phone.

Obviously, this all a real pain in the butt, which is why my phone has to be in a real bad way before I will do a factory reset on it. So, my question is, surely there is an app out there that can back up all of your phone custom settings and stuff, so that once you do a factory reset to fix the OS problems, your phone can be restored back to the same state it was before the reset. Is there such a thing?
Fellows, what does your comments have to do with my question?

No there isn't. There is not yet a way to do what you want.

Upvote 0
The phone screen layout is pretty easy to restore. Samsung's Smart Switch for PC backs that up along with folder structures if you are on a Samsung and using TouchWiz launcher. Some launchers like Nova also has a backup feature for the homescreen layout. This should include the contact shortcuts.

Samsung's SmartSwitch is also able to reinstall all the apps installed. Not the data in them though. Helium is able to do that.

I've done a number of resets on my phones and restoring has been pretty easy thanks to Helium, and now even easier with SmartSwitch. But then, all my Androids have been Samsungs.

However, the previous posters do have a point. Most of the time, if there is a problem forcing you to reset the phone, you do not want to do a full restore. You only restore incrementally until you see the problem again, to help the diagnosis. The full restore could just restore the problem.

Upvote 0
My phone is a Sony and Sony does have a backup program, but it only backs up things like photos, music, and things like that. It does not back up custom settings and screen layouts and stuff like that.

Yes, I agree that if the problem was caused by an app, doing a full restore would be fruitless, but in such cases a factory reset would not be needed, just uninstalling the app would solve the issue.

I use my phone for business purposes only and have a list of apps that I need on my phone. Serious apps like camscanner, aquamail, google maps and the like. I never put games or social media apps on my phone like Facebook and Facebook Messenger (the worst apps ever created). I use apps, set up in the same way on every phone. I use the exact same screen layout everytime. It stands to logical reasoning then that if a problem occurs with my phone it is not due to my main apps, settings and customizations.

So what I want, is a way to set a kind of restore backup that I can set once my phone is set up the way I like it, so that if I need to do a factory reset, I can restore it to that point and it will be completely set up the way I need to be.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones