• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How To Root + Install Custom ROM + Backup + More

Just stumbled across this... it's been tested and confirmed to work on multiple devices. Good news! :D

Full instructions and relevant downloads here.
Yep, I can confirm that it works on an untouched stock 2.1 Hero. Actually, it's even simpler than what that thread describes, you only need to replace /data/local/rights/mid.txt with a symlink to /dev/mtd/mtd1 and reboot. After that, you can use the builtin flash_image utility to flash whatever recovery image you have available.

However, the stock ROM seems to destroy installed recovery after a reboot, so if you want to flash a custom ROM, you have to do it right away.

Or you can just flash the recovery image anew with flash_image everytime you want to go into recovery mode. :)

EDIT: It is possible that the flash_image provided by Villain team is modified to prevent the destroyage of recovery on reboot, so if you trust their binary, it is probably preferable to use it instead of the builtin one.

Upvote 0
Maybe i am miss understanding some thing here i have folowed the giuide and the phone behaved as expected, i can now do backups from the recovecy screen.

now all i want to do is gain root access so i can install a VPN app to create a connection to my office and check Emails when out of the office.
do i have to install a custom Rom to do this or should i beable to get root acccess from the stock 2.1 ROM ?

Upvote 0
Yeah, flashrec backs up your original recovery menu to the SD card and then replaces it with amon ra. You don't really need the original one any more, so that's not an issue.

To clear things up, your radio and your firmware are separate things, so a nandroid backup/restore won't affect your radio in any way. There's no backup/restore option for the radio, so all you can do is flash them again.

Be warned though, if you do screw up flashing the radio it could brick your phone. Luckily there's not much to go wrong, other than loosing power. So, do not remove the battery whilst flashing a radio. No matter what the phone does.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
Hi there i am seeking asvice from someone that has a rooted hero gsm basically i have downgraded my phone from 2.1 which was done by OTA to 1.5 with Guu i have come up to the point where i have to backup my recovery but i can i tried both flash rec's i do not knw what i am doing wrong i have spent a number of days on various forumz but no luck basically what i want to do is load a cutom rom on to my device that all.
my build number is 2.73 and my phone is on tmobile

any help will be much appriciated

thanks in advance

Upvote 0
So, when you say you've tried various versions of flashrec, are you getting the 'Backup Failed: Could not run command' error?

If so, you must have installed a 1.5 firmware that won't cooperate with flashrec. You'll have to install one of the flashrec friendly 1.5 firmwares. Just follow the goldcard method at the top of this thread.

Upvote 0
FANKS FOR YOUR QUICK REPLY XYRO, YES THats the exact problem i get. I cant seem to finf the fkasrec u were talkin bout can you please provide me a link. Thanks

Ok, well like I said you need to switch to a 1.5 firmware that will let flashrec work. To do that you'll need a goldcard, which can be made using the program linked to in this thread.

Then download this 1.5 firmware (which comes from this XDA forums thread, if you're wondering). Plug the phone in via USB and make sure your goldcard is in the phone, then install the firmware. You will need to have HTC Sync installed and working on your PC.

Then, when that's finished, boot the phone and install any version of flashrec. They should all work. :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
hi there.. iam using a GSM hero firmware 2.1. i have just installed a recovery image (recovery-RA-hero-v1.7.0.1) and now i wan't to upgrade my phone to android 2.3 version. but iam a little unfamiliar with these situations. how do i succeed that in simple words and which one is the best upgraded software to use (more stable and fast). thanks!

Upvote 0
Background
The most recent Orange OTA firmware update (2.1-update1, build 3.35.61.2) introduced a slight obstacle to the existing rooting procedure by including a script which attempts to reinstall the stock recovery on reboot. The steps below are confirmed to overcome this in as straightforward a way as is possible, and should work on any 2.1-update1 firmware regardless of whether this script file exists.

Requirements

(a) A working ADB setup. Either install the Android SDK or download the necessary files here
(b) Universal Androot

Optional
Amon_RA v1.7.0.1 recovery. Copy to /sdcard and flash via ROM Manager after flashing ClockworkMod.

Procedure

• Copy UniversalAndroot.apk to your memory card
  • Install OI File Manager from the Market. Open it, navigate to /sdcard and select UniversalAndroot.apk to install
  • Run Universal Androot, selecting the "2.0-2.2" option and get confirmation of root
  • Connect handset to PC via USB and enter the following at a command prompt to prevent the ROM attempting to reinstall the stock recovery on reboot. This step may not apply to all firmware versions so if a file not found error results simply proceed to the next step:

Code:
cd \<folder containing adb.exe>
adb shell
su
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
rm /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
  • Install ROM Manager (free) from Market
  • Open ROM Manager and select "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery". Select correct handset and check "Allow always" when asked by SU Permissions. Flash will be confirmed
  • Power off handset then restart with HOME + POWER to boot into your new fully-featured recovery!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones