• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to Run an App during a phone call?

OK, thanks for the suggestion about the "home" button, which the only "real" button on the bottom of my S3. I was using it only to turn the screen back on when the phone went to sleep so I didn't try it.

However, none of the apps I tried (audio player, and voice recorder) will work; they both say "cannot play audio while in call". Is this a physical limitation of the phone or just a permissions issue? I'm using the factory earbuds.

Upvote 0
Actually the recordings are private and I don't want them over a loudspeaker. The goal I'm trying to accomplish is to have the other party hear the info without anyone standing next to me hearing it.

I did find one music player already on the phone that will play during the call, but it can't be heard by the other party. I'll have to try to the app on the market that claims to be able to do this.

Upvote 0
Currently, there is support for a bluetooth headset, where a person's voice on the headset is received on the phone as a bluetooth stream, and the caller hears that, right?

So it seems like all you'd have to do is hack a fake bluetooth connection where the inbound stream goes to the earbuds/speaker, and the input from the microphone is mixed with a the sound file (mp3, etc.) and the result is then presented as the outbound bluetooth stream to the API.

Would this be a kernel modification or just require rooting the phone?

Upvote 0
It's an S3, so ICS 4.0.3.

Software solution would be the coolest of course, but I've had a thought about an easier solution (easier than hacking the kernel to support loopback bluetooth connections :D).

Basically, I need a standard mono headset designed for the S3 with microphone, a 4-pin 3.5mm plug to rca plug adapter, and also a 4-pin 3.5mm jack to rca plug adapter. All I have to do is basically, wire the microphone and one audio channel from the plug to the jack, and then take the other audio channel from the phone (it's stereo) and connect the non-ground side to the non-ground side of the microphone across a 10K ohm resistor.

This effectively mixes one channel of the sound *I* hear with the outbound sound of my voice. So using the music player that did play during a call (but wasn't heard by the caller), I play my audio clip in stereo, and now I hear it as well as the caller. I can use the balance control to adjust the volume injected into my talking.

A few messy cables, but doesn't require any phone modifications.

[Hey, the post I was responding to disappeared. I didn't even know you were allowed to do that. Someone asked me the version of Android I was running. Now their post is gone.]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones