• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help how to speed up, clean up, remove background & startup...

InGearX

Android Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2011
Hi everyone I love my droid 3 from Verizon...

but after playing with my friends droid 3 - it was 2x faster - I realized I have overloaded it with various apps...

I want to make droid 3 lightning fast... and then I'll end up using it more often :)

What would be the 101 things to do? and the 201 things to do? and 301...

note I have tried using the Android Assistant to no avail and then Startup Cleaner 2.0 and applied it to _all_ - but to no avail... _all_ those items still start...

also what services / system apps can I prevent from starting? how?

also I guess I should remove all desktop gadgets and etc...

having only one email/gmail account to sync with instead of five will help?

what else?

should I ROOT? ROM?

Please help me...

thank you...

First, I'd say root. Then flash a debloated rom. Go download AutoStarts and prevent certain processes from starting due to random phone events. Lastly, go freeze things with Titanium Backup. I'm sure I've missed some. Anyone else?
thx good info

but I need to Root it first
AND put a custom ROM

wanted to avoid that...

sad that I can't clean up startup like I can on win 95 - win 7

using such as Best Free Startup Manager

Upvote 0
If you don't feel like getting into ROMs and whatnot, I'd suggest at least rooting then using an app to freeze the Verizon/Moto supplied bloatware that's unnecessary. Check this link to see what you can safely freeze.

http://androidforums.com/droid-3-all-things-root/403135-apps-items-can-safely-removed.html

Freezing will cut down on a lot of running garbage (sucks up RAM), without the risk of deleting the actual files from the phone, so the risk is low, even though there are full system dumps available.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones