how to store application configuration asks a Newbia

Last Updated:

1. horatio

horatio Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All,

New to Android! Can anyone tell me the best way to store application configuration? I want to store items such as URLs and so on. I'm thinking of using Apache Commons configuration but that would mean bundling those jars with my application. Is there a native Android way to do this?

Thanks,
    John.

Advertisement
  2. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

Use the official docs. :)

Specifically, you want to look at Preferences (if I understand your question correctly).

horatio likes this.
  3. horatio

Thanks KlaymenDK. That's not quite what I'm looking for however. I want to store application configuration that is never presented to the user. My application will need to make periodic calls to a RESTful web service and I need to store the URL some place that my app can read on initialisation. This shouldn't be presented to the user to change. Is there something like the Windows registry or INI files available for example?

Cheers,
    John.

4. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

Okay, I misunderstood you, then.

There is no global registry; the prefs system is explicitly intended to store app-specific tidbits; you can use it for storing stuff (say, internal state information) without ever interfacing the user. Or, you could look into the "instance states" discussed here (although data stored this way won't survive a reboot).

I had better info but I can't find the links right now! :eek:

5. horatio