• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to store contacts in gmail

madmonk

Jun 27, 2010
When I got this wonderful gadget 9 months ago I think I uploaded my contacts from the SIM. Not sure.

However all 400 + contacts are stored on phone not under the gmail setting. I only realised the potential problem (re backup, factory reset emergency etc ) when I checked my gmail account on a PC, and found that hardly any of my contacts were backed up there.

When I've checked the phone, only about 20 contacts are stored under gmail. These will be contacts I've acquired since getting the phone. How do I convert all the other 400 contacts from "stored on phone" to "stored on gmail" such that I can then sync them with my gmail account.

Ta.

Sorry to resurrect this, maybe the answer on another thread but couldn't find it. I did manage to save all contacts under googlemail.

However they are not syncing with the gmail account that the phone is linked to. On "Accounts and Sync" when the account is looked at the little circle that spins when syncing is stuck permanently on, to the right of Contacts. It's not updated since January, so the contacts I successfuly stored under Google as above, have still not been backed up to the gmail account. Sometimes there is an exclamation mark next to the little circle saying sync not working at the moment.

Whilst I don't particularly have battery issues out of the usual, it has crossed my mind that more energy may be getting used unnecessarily with the phone trying to sync contacts when it can't for whatever reason.

The other two items, Calendar and Gmail, under Accounts and Sync, always sync fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones