• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to track text like google translate (google lens) does it?

I'm trying to get the same quality of text tracking as google translate live camera translation. I want to track text in real time from camera, use ocr to get the string text, process it and then replace it with processed text, making it look seamless.

I know about ML Kit and I tried using it, it works great but I can't get the text to look right. I get the bounding box for the text, and the text itself, I know the position but it's not as accurate as I want it to be and it jumps around.

Ther's also ARCore which is something I think I need for smooth tracking but I'm not sure how to track text with it.

The only thing I could think of is that somehow first I would detect text and then save the image, use it for ARCore and then use that to render processed text on top of it.

I couldn't find much information about this on the internet only the ML Kit text detection and ARCore for tracking specific images. Any references or ideas are highly appreciated!

(I'm making an android app in android studio using java.)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones