• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to trigger a media scan?

Jethro10

Aug 4, 2010
Hi,
With a lot of apps eg, camera, pictures appears in the gallery immediatley,

but some apps like Dropbox or blackmoon Attachsave, if you put a picture or MP3 or whatever on the card, they can not appear for ages.

One way on my Galaxy Apollo is to plug in USB and go into storage mode, it then scans the disk (A little icon in the status bar) and the media is now there.

A more extreme way is to unmount the card and then physically remove it and re-insert (I dont have to remove the battery) and it sets off a scan.

Is there anyway to trigger a media scan from within android to make it quicker for stuff to appear?

thanks
Jeff

Apps that download media, such as Dropbox should force a media scan. It could be done by the Android client App performing a media scan after it has succesfully downloaded the file. It could be placed in the App settings as an option.

The Android Gallery App should have an update button.

They could do it the same way as Rescan Media by Adihja Talpade. I use this simple App to perform this task and it solves the problem.

Upvote 0
If there is a (possibly empty) file named ".nomedia" (without quotations, and make sure you put the dot as the first character) in a folder of your card, then this folder WILL NOT BE SCANNED (if there is a .nomedia in the root of the SD card, then the SD card will NOT be scanned).

So make sure you delete any unwanted of those and then try
"Rescan Media" by Aditya Talpade (android market)

Upvote 0
First I have ever heard on media scan being desireadble...my vibrant does it and its a pain in the ass for the phone to take 3 minutes to find(the same) media files that my lesser phones could pull up after realizing an sd card was present

If it was every time, I can see that being a problem. But sometimes you download a file and the file does not show up in music player or something...

I came here looking for an application that can force a rescan (why it's not an option within the OS is beyond me), but one thing I would usually do is find the file in the file manager and rename it. It will then start a rescan. I then rename it back. Possible solution for those that don't want to download a program to force a rescan

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones