• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to uninstall Google Playon rooted phone

I am starting a regular schedule of changing all my passwords. None of the account-related apps work afterwards. It is simple but requires uninstalling and reinstalling all account related apps on GS4. The big problem is uninstalling Google Play and reinstalling it. I was somehow able to uninstall and reinstall it but can't remember how I did it. I am rooted, but still a lot apps can't uninstall it. I do know I had to go for quite awhile without Google Play while figuring it out. Anyway how do you uninstall Google Play.

Hi By_design :)

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding the issue (entirely possible!), I don't think that you'll actually need to uninstall/reinstall Google Play. A much better approach would be to just remove and re-add your Google account. :thumbup:

I'm on a Nexus device, so your menu labels may differ slightly...
  1. Settings > Accounts > Google > you@gmail.com > (menu) > Remove Account
  2. Settings > Accounts > Add Account > Google > Existing, and then log in with your new password.

Hope that helps :)

Upvote 0
Once Google Play detects the password change, it immediately signs you out. If you try to use the previous password it tells you it has been changed. If you try to use the new password it will say it is the wrong password.
Your Google password is recorded in so many places on your phone. There is something that prevents it from accepting the new password. This my experience anyway.

Upvote 0
I actually changed my Google password just a few days ago. I received a number of prompts to update the credentials on my phone. Once I dealt with one of them, the changes trickled down to everything on my phone that makes use of a Google sign-in.

Really, there shouldn't be a need to uninstall Google Play just to update the password.

So if the Google-supported mechanism isn't working, I'd suggest following drowe's suggestion. A factory reset will also make sure that there isn't anything else screwy getting in the way. :thumbup:

Reactions: By_design
Upvote 0
I took Drowe's suggestion and batch restored the whole system and just changed my my password again, it gave me the message that my password had been successfully changed. Replaced Google Play and Google plus with original factory version. Same problem I am not seeing any solution to this. I am using the correct password it says it isn't. As for the factory reset I tried it a few times, all it does is just put it in a continuous downloading mode. Lets say I allow it to remain in downloading mode for 4 days, would it eventually reboot into a factory reset? How can you tell between a frozen state of downloading and the state of downloading days worth of files?

Upvote 0
Settings > Backup & Reset > Factory data

That is precisely what puts my phone in download mode. In tiny red letters at the top is
"Could not do normal boot"
Odin Mode
PRODUCT NAME: SGH-I337
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom
CSB-CONFIG-LSB: 8X38
WRITE PROTECTION: Enable
The only way to get out of this Download mode is take battery out for about 10 minutes. I am running 4.2.2 and the update function in Settings doesn't work.
Maybe my phone just has a weird personality and doesn't like Google or KitKat 4.4

Upvote 0
That is precisely what puts my phone in download mode. In tiny red letters at the top is
"Could not do normal boot"

That error looks like it could be telling you the operating system on the phone is corrupted. I've never tried to restore a Samsung, but is it possible to download a factory image and write it to the phone in fastboot? What recovery do you have? Here is how I would do it: First log into gmail on a computer and change the password. Log out and log back in just to make sure the change was completed and you remember what you typed (been there!). Next search XDA for a guide on how to restore your model to stock. It will probably wipe out root, but you can get back to a known starting point. After you log into your google account it should download all your apps again. At this point you can re-root and use TiB to restore settings only (not apps) to your downloaded apps. Don't restore any system apps or settings. You will have to re-setup your wifi and bluetooth settings and other settings for the google and samsung apps, but it is the safest. Good Luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones