• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to unlock the huawei ascend to use it in another country?

Hi everyone!

I am in Panama at this moment and will stay here for a while. I brought my Huawei Ascend from Metropcs hoping that I was gonna be able to connect it here, but I went to a few carriers here and they said that because the sim card is inside the phone (not removable) and probably my phone uses a cdma system, which they are not using in Panama, is impossible.

However, I know that in this forum almost everything is possible ;).... And, I really wanted to give it a try here before moving on and buy a new phone, which btw, are very expensive here...:(

So, if you guys know of something that I might want to try please please let me know!

My phone is rooted and running stock...for now.

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone!

I am in Panama at this moment and will stay here for a while. I brought my Huawei Ascend from Metropcs hoping that I was gonna be able to connect it here, but I went to a few carriers here and they said that because the sim card is inside the phone (not removable) and probably my phone uses a cdma system, which they are not using in Panama, is impossible.

However, I know that in this forum almost everything is possible ;).... And, I really wanted to give it a try here before moving on and buy a new phone, which btw, are very expensive here...:(

So, if you guys know of something that I might want to try please please let me know!

My phone is rooted and running stock...for now.

Thanks in advance!
i hate to be the bearer of bad news but they are right. CDMA and GSM are incompatible. the ascend just cannot work outside of the states. sorry again for the bad news. the only way it would work is if u changed the hardware inside of the phone which as im typing it sounds fun, but absolutely ridiculous at the same time. if u are gonna be down there for an extended period of time u are gonna have to go with a GSM carrier.

Reactions: adriana27
Upvote 0
i hate to be the bearer of bad news but they are right. CDMA and GSM are incompatible. the ascend just cannot work outside of the states. sorry again for the bad news. the only way it would work is if u changed the hardware inside of the phone which as im typing it sounds fun, but absolutely ridiculous at the same time. if u are gonna be down there for an extended period of time u are gonna have to go with a GSM carrier.

lol dont worry...i wont kill the messenger with the bad news! BTW Do you know were can I buy an unlock/gsm cheaper android in the US? Like HTC or LG?

Thanks

Upvote 0
lol dont worry...i wont kill the messenger with the bad news! BTW Do you know were can I buy an unlock/gsm cheaper android in the US? Like HTC or LG?

Thanks
AT&T and T-Mobile are the main GSM carriers in the US. I'd look on Craigslist for one of their phones, and most any local cell phone shop can unlock them for around $30 or less. Then just pop in a sim card when you get to Panama. Depending on how long you are going to be staying there, and how much $ you want to spend, you might just want to get a dumb phone, and you can still use your Ascend on wi-fi even without service.

Reactions: adriana27
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones