• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to use Google Voice with Android and Carriers

Google seems to be listening. An update to the app for Android has been released. There is now a fourth choice for Settings > Making Calls:
"Ask to use Google Voice for each call - Decide on a call-by-call basis"

This isn't the full enhancement I was thinking of, but it's a start. I suspect it will take a little more work to include a checkbox for each GMail Contact telephone number to choose if Google Voice is used for that number. Note: the reason for this is because using Google Voice for mobile numbers might result in cell plan minutes being used instead of making use of plan features like MyFaves or free mobile to mobile.

Upvote 0
Google seems to be listening. An update to the app for Android has been released. There is now a fourth choice for Settings > Making Calls:
"Ask to use Google Voice for each call - Decide on a call-by-call basis"

This isn't the full enhancement I was thinking of, but it's a start. I suspect it will take a little more work to include a checkbox for each GMail Contact telephone number to choose if Google Voice is used for that number. Note: the reason for this is because using Google Voice for mobile numbers might result in cell plan minutes being used instead of making use of plan features like MyFaves or free mobile to mobile.

Geo you and I are on the same page, 100%. I un-installed the app and want a reason to re-install it. Keep us updated. I appreciate it greatly.

Here's a good scenario question - If you do get a call from any contact to your GV number as you are just exiting your car, and a few steps later you are near a landline that has already been synced to GV (say your home or office) can you press a key transfer the call to the landline, disconnect the mobile and does the billing end?

As a follow up, if you put someone on hold or do 3 way calling and both other parties are not on your free call plans, both numbers are using minutes, essentially double billing. So my above question wonders if the call transfer ends a call or just puts it on hold. The GrandCentral video I saw allows a user to transfer back and forth seamlessly. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if it was covered here or not, I just skimmed the page real quick. A hack is no longer needed to use GV for voicemail.

Under settings:
In the "Forwards to:" section, next to your mobile number you will see a link that says something along the lines of "Activate Google voicemail on this phone (?)"
(Mine currently says "Deactivate Google voicemail on this phone (?)" since I'm currently using it)

After you click that, you'll get instructions to dial a number, which will forward all vmail to GV (similar to setting up YouMail). And that's it. Now you can check your vmail either through the GV app, or through the GV mobile site.

BTW, GV does allow you to send invites now. Some people claim to have 5, whereas I was only given 3. It's right under the "Calling Credit" section.

Edit: BTW, I forgot to mention I've tried to use the option with GV for all outgoing calls with it also not able to connect, like stated above.

Upvote 0
New Android user here. I've been loving Google Voice so far, but have a question about the Android App. When you make a regular call, you have the option for GV to take over and route the call through their service. Is there any way to similarly send texts?

Basically, I want to be able to send and receive texts (that show my GV number as the sender) without going through the GV mobile site.

Upvote 0
I've been using Google Voice for a couple days now for calls and texting and just realized that Voice doesn't support mms. :( I guess I'm going to have to go bak to just using my regular cell phone number. I suppose they could add it in the future, but who knows when that will be. They are also suppose to support porting your current number to Voice as well sometime in the future. I think I'll just wait until both of those things happen before I really start using it full time.

For now, I will just have to use it for posting in Craigslist ads and stuff. I don't know if this just became available or not, but I have a thing on my Voice page that says I can invite X number of people.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones