• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How tough is the Photon?

crosspatch

Mar 17, 2012
So it happened. I dropped my Photon. I was seated, Photon in hand, with a case for my glasses on my lap. The stupid case fell, and as I instinctively tried to catch it, I dropped the phone. It only fell ~14 inches but it was onto a hard floor.

I do have an OtterBox Commuter case on it, but still...

Has anyone screwed up their Photons this way?

I'm not talking about obvious damage like a broken screen or anything. I think that drops can cause hidden damage inside the device. I read that somewhere long ago, and my wife has always been very careless with her phones--and her phones have always died early deaths. We've always had the same phone, and hers would always start flaking out while mine continued working fine.

I've dropped my Photon maybe twice from waist height, and never suffered more than a few scuffs on the case. A friend of mine dropped his naked (no case) Photon from the same height, and his screen shattered but the phone still works perfectly fine (even the touch screen, if you can ignore the spiderweb cracks). It doesn't seem to affect the phone internals at all. I wouldn't go throwing it at a wall, mind you, but I think the internals are tough enough to survive the occasional earthbound trip.

Upvote 0
I've dropped my Photon maybe twice from waist height, and never suffered more than a few scuffs on the case. A friend of mine dropped his naked (no case) Photon from the same height, and his screen shattered but the phone still works perfectly fine (even the touch screen, if you can ignore the spiderweb cracks). It doesn't seem to affect the phone internals at all. I wouldn't go throwing it at a wall, mind you, but I think the internals are tough enough to survive the occasional earthbound trip.

I've dropped mine getting out of the car, falling onto the concrete (no case, just screen protector) and all I got was a couple hairline scratches.

One thing I noticed today was that I actually have a hairline crack (near micro-usb port) from docking the phone in the cardock, without making sure that it was seated properly (it was in the dark and the phone hadn't connected with the micro-usb connector).

Other than those instances, I've never really dropped it from higher up, but the Photon still looks in pretty darn good shape. I could possibly pass it off for "new" if it weren't for the small scuffs (barely visible) and the 1 hairline crack.

Upvote 0
Wow, I guess I'm not the only one who is hard on his phones.

I never use a case because I hate the added thickness.

I have dropped my Photon more times than I can count. A few times stand out.

I was walking a shopping cart into the cart coral at a shopping center with my Photon in hand. I hit a bump and my Photon flew out of my hands up and out. It hit the asphalt and only had scratches on the casing to show for it. It's still going strong. My Photon's fall was at least 6 feet onto the asphalt.

I've dropped my phone leaving and entering the car onto the pavement more than a few times. I have scratches to show for it, but my Photon still works like a champ.

I drop my phone onto the carpet in my house regularly. Nothing has ever impeded the functionality of my Photon.

My Photon does have a small hairline crack by the USB port from one of its falls. It seems to laugh at it because it hasn't affected functionality.

The circular Motorola logo on the back of the phone fell off in my pocket from rubbing against the fabric of the pocket (I would guess).

So, my Photon has scratches on the casing and it's missing it's Logo on the back. The screen is perfect except for one minor scratch that is perhaps 3mm on the right side where there are no pixels.

I would have to say that this is one of the most durable phones I've ever had. I'm always hard on my phones and I look for build quality when I pick a phone. The Photon has exceeded my expectations in durability.

Saying that, I'm very happy I chose to get the Best Buy Buy Back Program because they don't look at the condition of the phone when giving you credit toward your next upgrade. If I upgrade by the end of the year, I should be able to leave Best Buy without paying more than $50 depending on the phone I choose.

Upvote 0
My Photon does have a small hairline crack by the USB port from one of its falls. It seems to laugh at it because it hasn't affected functionality.

The circular Motorola logo on the back of the phone fell off in my pocket from rubbing against the fabric of the pocket (I would guess).

So, my Photon has scratches on the casing and it's missing it's Logo on the back. The screen is perfect except for one minor scratch that is perhaps 3mm on the right side where there are no pixels.

I would have to say that this is one of the most durable phones I've ever had. I'm always hard on my phones and I look for build quality when I pick a phone. The Photon has exceeded my expectations in durability.

Saying that, I'm very happy I chose to get the Best Buy Buy Back Program because they don't look at the condition of the phone when giving you credit toward your next upgrade. If I upgrade by the end of the year, I should be able to leave Best Buy without paying more than $50 depending on the phone I choose.

My MO'PHO also has the same crack, except over the HDMI port. I'm not nearly as rough/tough on my phone as you guys but, it's there nonetheless.

The phone still works fine, but, I'm considering using this flaw as a reason to take advantage of the warranty I've purchased via BEST BUY. They've pretty much left the option up to me as to whether I'll accept a refurbished PHOTON, await for mine to be repaired, or, accept a different model phone altogether.

Headed that way now, I'll post later as to the outcome.

Upvote 0
My MO'PHO also has the same crack, except over the HDMI port. I'm not nearly as rough/tough on my phone as you guys but, it's there nonetheless.

Headed that way now, I'll post later as to the outcome.

Yeah, let us know how it turns out.

I rechecked my Photon and I noticed that the crack is actually at the HDMI port too. So much for my muddled memory. LOL!

It must be a vulnerable spot. It makes sense since there are two holes designed to be there in the plastic and it would follow logically that if there is enough stress on the body and there is going to be a crack, that it would be at that location.

I'm not bothering with the warrantee unless my Photon really starts showing signs of weakness and it stops functioning properly. I'm definitely looking to upgrade in the next 5 months. Most likely it'll be sometime in November but who knows? So the Photon won't have to hold up much longer. However, it's only 11 months old or so...

Then again, the crack appears to be cosmetic only. I took off the back cover and it's only the side panel that's cracked. It isn't "mission critical" to the integrity of the phone.

Oops, I just noticed another crack by my volume button on the other side panel. It's only on one side and it's very small... Well, I have been unusually hard on this phone so I can't really complain.

:laugh:

Maybe I'll use some sort of a case with my next phone, if it's thin enough.

Upvote 0

I rechecked my Photon and I noticed that the crack is actually at the HDMI port too. So much for my muddled memory. LOL!

It must be a vulnerable spot. It makes sense since there are two holes designed to be there in the plastic and it would follow logically that if there is enough stress on the body and there is going to be a crack, that it would be at that location.

I'm not bothering with the warrantee unless my Photon really starts showing signs of weakness and it stops functioning properly. I'm definitely looking to upgrade in the next 5 months. Most likely it'll be sometime in November but who knows? So the Photon won't have to hold up much longer. However, it's only 11 months old or so...

Then again, the crack appears to be cosmetic only. I took off the back cover and it's only the side panel that's cracked. It isn't "mission critical" to the integrity of the phone.

Oops, I just noticed another crack by my volume button on the other side panel. It's only on one side and it's very small... Well, I have been unusually hard on this phone so I can't really complain.

Me 3, regarding the crack on the HDMI port...LOL. I honestly think it was from the last time I tried to use the HD dock.

Upvote 0

Just returned from BEST BUY. They have plenty of refurbished PHOTONS in stock to service warranty claims. So, I'll just hang on to the one I have,as the crack by the HDMI PORT isn't affecting anything.

Upvote 0
Maybe i should of been rough with mine :( lol i kept case on it took well care of it and it let me down for no reason! lol

Granting that it's impossible for anyone here to diagnose what happened to your phone, but.........

I wouldn't call flashing a phone intended for SPRINT'S NETWORK to CRICKET no reason.

When using a phone outside of the manufacturers & network providers TOS, the owner has to accept responsibility for what happens to the phone from that point forward.

I'm not trying to sound mean or pious, but, almost every post in every ANDROID forum, here & elsewhere, stresses this point ad nauseum when giving instructions on installing non-manufacturer firmware or, 3rd party software outside of normal avenues.

Upvote 0
Granting that it's impossible for anyone here to diagnose what happened to your phone, but.........

I wouldn't call flashing a phone intended for SPRINT'S NETWORK to CRICKET no reason.

When using a phone outside of the manufacturers & network providers TOS, the owner has to accept responsibility for what happens to the phone from that point forward.

I'm not trying to sound mean or pious, but, almost every post in every ANDROID forum, here & elsewhere, stresses this point ad nauseum when giving instructions on installing non-manufacturer firmware or, 3rd party software outside of normal avenues.

Your Absolutely right though! Never thought of it like that.

Upvote 0
Your Absolutely right though! Never thought of it like that.

Not sure if it's possible for you to flash the phone back to its stock condition & return it to the point-of-purchase, but, it's probably your best option @ this point.

I feel your pain, as most of us here do.

Believe me,the thought of flashing a DROID RAZR MAXX to SPRINT, VIRGIN MOBILE, or CRICKET has crossed my mind on more than one occasion.

Perhaps some time in the foreseeable future, all phones here in the U.S. will be available unlocked, w/the option of using it w/the service provider of our own choosing, w/o voiding any hardware warranties.

If SPRINT ever turns their back on unlimited data, this phone will be my last w/any CDMA carrier, especially if MOTOROLA produces a NEXUS GSM phone.

Best of luck to you w/your phone &...............

WELCOME to ANDROID FORUMS! :-D

I hope that future experiences w/ANDROID phones goes a lot smoother than this.
Please keep us posted w/your results.

Upvote 0
Not sure if it's possible for you to flash the phone back to its stock condition & return it to the point-of-purchase, but, it's probably your best option @ this point.

I feel your pain, as most of us here do.

Believe me,the thought of flashing a DROID RAZR MAXX to SPRINT, VIRGIN MOBILE, or CRICKET has crossed my mind on more than one occasion.

Perhaps some time in the foreseeable future, all phones here in the U.S. will be available unlocked, w/the option of using it w/the service provider of our own choosing, w/o voiding any hardware warranties.

If SPRINT ever turns their back on unlimited data, this phone will be my last w/any CDMA carrier, especially if MOTOROLA produces a NEXUS GSM phone.

Best of luck to you w/your phone &...............

WELCOME to ANDROID FORUMS! :-D

I hope that future experiences w/ANDROID phones goes a lot smoother than this.
Please keep us posted w/your results.

kool! And Thanks..,It Started working again i immediately did a hard reset and it seems to be fine now maybe i had to much junk on it or a virus. but i had 2 gigs free out of 12 gigs.

Upvote 0
I have dropped mine once on the street, was a pretty bad drop but it kept on working. But now if I bump my phone a certain way (on the corner I think), it will restart :(

My Photon has a hairline crack between the volume and camera button. I don't use a screen protector and there are still no scratches on the glass.

Upvote 0
I ran over a Photon with my Ford F250 truck (10K lbs.) by accident. Unbeknownst to anyone it was dropped and left on the ground. The only damage done was to the camera lens but it still works today except for taking pictures. The phone just had a soft rubber cover on it as well. Pretty amazing build quality.

I though I could top this story, but i'm pretty close...It was in my front pocket of my shirt while riding my motorcycle. Hit a bump and away she went, flying out of my pocket at 45+ mph! It had a rubber case that I cut the middle out to fit the hyperion extended battery and a tough as nails screen protector. Turned the bike around, the rubber case flew off, scratched the protector really badly...but the phone is still running. Not sure if a car ran over it or not...Solid build quality imo.

Upvote 0
Wow Jkluyczyk and Lovemynad! Thanks for the stories. This is perhaps the most durable phone I've owned. I just broke a Motorola 550hx bluetooth headset. :( I loved that thing. I've gone through 3 in the past year. If anyone has any suggestions on any bluetooth headset that is durable, has great sound quality, pairs well, and will remain connected far from the phone, I'd appreciate it.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
The only thing inside that will have broken is the anti-radiation emitter. It works sort of like those anti-noise devices, in that it puts out a polar-opposite waveform. It protects your ear and brain from cooking from the radiation. I have dropped mine hard and far many times, and I just use my ear as a gauge for any damage I might be doing to my brain. When my ear starts getting hot, I find a way to end the call fast.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones