• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How's the battery life?

Battery life has taken a dive, after I fixed the issue I was having with my work email exchange active sync. On one of my batteries, I only got 11 hours today. So strange. I checked GSam and any odd activity, I've been able to manage, but I'll continue to monitor changes and report back if it returns to normal.

I have seen a bit of a dive lately myself up until I started to turn wifi on when I get home (I guess they are still doing some cell tower work here in Jersey after all the storms we had, fixing 4G), and turning GPS off when I get to my work (something is funny going on in there where I have GPS antenna pinging for hours draining my battery). Just an example that sometime things could be outside of our typical conscious light phone use or misbehaving app or not optimized setting...

Btw Drex, after your mini-review of that back-pack external battery charger, I have been on a mission to find some decent external battery standalone chargers. Still working on it, but might have a review soon with some good options ;)

Upvote 0
How are they in comparison to stock battery? I mean, without knowing how you use your phone it's hard to compare because for example with a mix of heavy/medium use I need to charge mine once a day, while with typical light use - every other day. Hard to figure out people's comments on their Amazon page because they combined reviews together from every battery they sell on-line.

My stock battery with heavy use(8-10hours screen time) usually last me about 18 hours. With these batteries the same use gets me 20-24.

Upvote 0
My stock battery with heavy use(8-10hours screen time) usually last me about 18 hours. With these batteries the same use gets me 20-24.

That is actually very impressive! I have been searching for OEM footprint/size battery with increased capacity, and even decided to put together a test setup to verify it (external VA meter to measure mAh, adjustable load, etc). I will add this battery to my list of test samples, if I ever get around to finish up that project :D

Upvote 0
Btw Drex, after your mini-review of that back-pack external battery charger, I have been on a mission to find some decent external battery standalone chargers. Still working on it, but might have a review soon with some good options ;)

I have an Anker 3 that I purchased when I still had my Photon. Best external battery charger I've purchased. 10k mah and lasts on standby for a crazy long time. I have it in my car for emergency situations.

Upvote 0
I have an Anker 3 that I purchased when I still had my Photon. Best external battery charger I've purchased. 10k mah and lasts on standby for a crazy long time. I have it in my car for emergency situations.

Oh definitely, Anker makes some of the best external battery chargers. I actually just got contacted with invitation to review their new upcoming Astro Slim2 4500 mAh external battery (Amazon.com: [New] Anker

Upvote 0
Wow, the Astro Slim 2 looks pretty good and I like the integrated microUSB concept. I might have purchased that, instead of the 10k Astro 3, had it been available at the time I purchased the Astro 3. I have a Kensington that was way lower in capacity, but I rarely use that anymore, since it won't really charge up the Note 2 like it did my EVO and Photon.

Looks like the closest thing they have currently available (and officially on the Anker website) is this:
Amazon.com: Anker

Upvote 0
I have a good feeling Slim2 will be replacing SlimTalk. It's essentially the same product but a bit slimmer with a higher capacity and faster charging time (1A vs 0.6A output). I will try to be as detailed as usual in my review, if I receive that product as promised. Something I'm especially curious about if you can leave it overnight charging the phone while you are charging the external battery at the same time - to kill two birds at the same time.

Regarding newegg stuff, it looks like CH/HK retailer product. Amazon/Newegg now blended the lines between "regular" and cheap "ebay" retailers. A lot of people buy in bulk and sell on Amazon/Newegg as well as on-line places like Sears/Walmart, etc. Hard to figure out what is brand name and what is not. That was part of my other "project" to find no-brand name ones which offer quality and cheaper prices. A pretty photoshop picture and great spec means nothing until I test it out. Heck, I found a good 20000 mAh supply for under $20 shipped to US, and another one with about 8500 mAh that can fit in a palm of your hand (similar to Newegg, but a lot cheaper). What I do like while dealing with CH vendors directly, they are more eager to send you replacement if its a defective part. But if you are dealing with someone in US who is reselling these products they bought in bulk from CH vendor - you will be lucky to get your money back because you are dealing with a middle person. I bought OBD2 scanner to go with my Torque Pro app, and it was defective. The ebay seller was negotiating a price with me of the refund to recover his cost; didn't even offered an exchange because he wasn't sure if another part will work.

But anyway, it's all about finding a cool new accessory for our Note 2 that works as advertised, offers a decent build quality, and has a reasonable price based on brand name or no-name choice ;) That's what drives my reviews on this and xda forums :D

Quick off topic
Wow, you just reminded me that I've been wanting to buy the Android obdII scanner.

Anyways, back to the 20k mah power supply for under $20? Was it this one?
1x 20000mAh Universal Dual USB Backup Power Bank External Battery Mobile Charger | eBay

If so, how reliable is it? I was considering getting a bigger back-up battery for when I get the Note 8.0.

And how about the 8500mah that fits in the palm of your hand? Haven't found anything that small, but I'm very curious about that.

Upvote 0
Quick off topic
Wow, you just reminded me that I've been wanting to buy the Android obdII scanner.

Anyways, back to the 20k mah power supply for under $20? Was it this one?
1x 20000mAh Universal Dual USB Backup Power Bank External Battery Mobile Charger | eBay

If so, how reliable is it? I was considering getting a bigger back-up battery for when I get the Note 8.0.

And how about the 8500mah that fits in the palm of your hand? Haven't found anything that small, but I'm very curious about that.

With OBD2, I will save you headache, do not buy it from ebay because it will be 50/50 of getting a working one. They are typically $13-$14 on ebay, and its like playing russian roulette. I got this one because it was recommended by most of the people on Torque Pro forum: BAFX Products (TM) - ELM 327 Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light and other diagnostics - Android compatible : Amazon.com : Automotive - its a little pricier, but pairs up perfectly and seller is US based and tests every single unit. He even had instructions sent along how to use it with Torque Pro. Also, because of the way OBD header was placed in my GS350 above pedals and this scanner hitting my foot, I also ordered a short extension cable with right angled connectors on ebay (was around $5, a fraction of what auto store will charge you).

Regarding 20k mAh unit, yes its a similar one. The problem, apparently they are getting it from different sources now and some making cheaper versions of lower quality and with lower capacity. It's one of those buy at your own risk type of deals ;)

Upvote 0
With OBD2, I will save you headache, do not buy it from ebay because it will be 50/50 of getting a working one. They are typically $13-$14 on ebay, and its like playing russian roulette. I got this one because it was recommended by most of the people on Torque Pro forum: BAFX Products (TM) - ELM 327 Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light and other diagnostics - Android compatible : Amazon.com : Automotive - its a little pricier, but pairs up perfectly and seller is US based and tests every single unit. He even had instructions sent along how to use it with Torque Pro. Also, because of the way OBD header was placed in my GS350 above pedals and this scanner hitting my foot, I also ordered a short extension cable with right angled connectors on ebay (was around $5, a fraction of what auto store will charge you).

Regarding 20k mAh unit, yes its a similar one. The problem, apparently they are getting it from different sources now and some making cheaper versions of lower quality and with lower capacity. It's one of those buy at your own risk type of deals ;)

I plan on buying from Amazon from seller my cousin used for the one he bought. I'll probably post a thread about it once I purchase.

I don't really "need" any of the backup battery stuff (since I have a lot of options), but I have been looking into higher capacity alternatives, just as preparation for my usage of the Note 8.0.

Upvote 0
Here's what I do to preserve battery power (plus minutes and data).

My home screen has widgets that display updated Verizon minutes and data usage. https://play.google.com/store/search?q=verizon+plan+minutes+widget&c=apps

With an app called Power Toggles the home screen has widgets for data, wifi, bluetooth, and GPS radios which toggle the radios and display their on/off status. https://play.google.com/store/apps/...t#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5wYWlubGVzcy5wYyJd I control radios manually and turn them off when not in use.

For screen brightness I'm trying an app called Lux Auto Brightness. I'm not sure how effective it is at saving energy yet. https://play.google.com/store/apps/...er#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLnZpdG8ubHV4Il0

I keep the phone on external power when ever possible and have several chargers for that purpose at home, work, and in the car. Sometimes I'll carry a charger out and about. I've yet to find a truely compact AC charger for pocket carry (any suggestions?).

I only use my BT headset if the conversation is going to be long and I need privacy. With a bit of practice it's easy to power up the BT radio and headset and switch to the headset after a conversation starts. The speaker mode seems to work in the car. I've used speaker mode successfully with the phone in a pocket.

I was intending to use the phone to record GPS tracks during certain outdoor activities but so far I'm sticking with my tried and true handheld GPS for that.

With the above practices I rarely need my 6200 mah Hyperian battery which is saved for situations where it might be needed. That battery is a beast and worth the trouble if you really need it but I prefer the phone without the extra weight when possible.

To protect my measly 2gb of monthly data I'm especially careful to keep the data radio off when I'm using wifi. If wifi hiccups the phone may switch to the data radio without an alert. This issue is why I stopped using Juice Defender.

A couple more tips not related to power.

I like the N2 stylus and use it at work it but another way to go for lecture or meeting notes is to make notes on paper then take a photo of the page. An 8 1/2 by 11" "page in a photo is as legible as what the S pen produces for practical purposes.

I use an app called Ring Guard to help prevent the phone from reseting ring loudness when I'm clumsy with the volume switch.

Upvote 0
@phonedroid For all the stuff you do to conserve battery when do you actually enjoy the phone?

I literally keep everything except GPS on 24/7 with no power saving enabled. The only time I'm not using my phone is when I'm sleeping. Battery last between 14-17 hrs with more than 6-8 hrs screen on time.
This thread has 570 posts because a lot of people are interested in battery management. Some people have endurance problems, others just want to get the most from their batteries. Why post if neither of those are an issue for you?

The kindest thing I can say about Android/Samsung power management (I don't know who to blame) is it's somewhere between inadequate and incompetent. May be they will improve it in future releases of the OS and threads like this will be much shorter.

Samsung spends millions developing more energy efficient hardware then lets Google write the management software and they drop the ball. Either Google needs to raise their game or Samsung needs to take on that task.

P.S. The stock browser has it's own built in brightness control. It dims the screen too far when the browser is in view. Has anyone found a way to disable that?

Upvote 0
@phonedroid Not sure what offended you regarding my post as the point I was making must have surely been missed.

The Note 2 is one of those phones that can be used full throttle negating the need to induce every single battery saving measure known to mankind.

Reading your post the first time, one would think you're taking these measures to preserve battery.
Reading it a 2nd time the issue reads more about preserving your "measly 2GB monthly data allowance."

Thanks for pointing out 570 posts.
I'm sure I've already been part of that number. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones