• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help hp touchpad

htc8p

May 22, 2013
my name is bert. im from the philippines. my uncle sent me an hp touchpad firesale price.

i have made an effort to convert it to android.

i used liliputing webpage. How to install Android 4.0 or later on the HP TouchPad (CyanogenMod) - Liliputing

i did this successfully but when i open the android there is not google play store...

how do i make this happen? thanks. (dont want keep using this thing as a mirror)

the gapps i used is:

gapps-ics-20120429-signed

The version of gApps has to match the rom. Did you install CM9?

You also used an old guide, something you have to be careful of.

It's possible your gApps are still in your cminstall folder, which means they didn't flash. You have to rename some things to get them to work. If it's still there, you can flash from recovery. (Install zip from sdcard, then browse to the cminstall folder.)

Plan "B" would be to rename your gApps file to add "update" (without the quotes) to the beginning of the file name and run your script again.

Upvote 0
Yes I install cm9. I did as you told I install from sd card. It worked you are an android genius guru excellent guy. This is my 2nd tech achievement. My first was to migrate my outlook to Gmail.

Do I enjoy this first or do I go for cm 10?

Thank you so much (hug hug).

My motivation for this is because my 3 yo son was beside his friend who had iPhone playing games. Then he wouldn't share so he asked to play with my Nokia 6200 or something. He didn't mind but I felt like an ant.

Upvote 0
I was hoping you'd know how to do that. :D

Glad you got it working... much easier than trying to side load apps.

I prefer CM10 or CM10.1 over CM9.

CM10 is probably more stable than 10.1. It's possible you might find something that works better in CM9 that doesn't work in CM10, but I'm not aware of anything.

FWIW, I had the best luck when installing CM10 by doing a factory reset (formatting both caches + data) when updating. You lose all your settings when doing this tho.

Again, you'd need the gApps that go with CM10.

Reactions: htc8p
Upvote 0
Most of the times gApps isn't flashed unless you name it properly. :D

Android is the operating system or rom on your device. It's comparable to Windows on your computer.

Your apps/settings are erased only if you factory reset (or format data). They can still be downloaded from Play Store, and often will start DL'ing when you first boot after wiping. You only need to buy them once. :D

Upvote 0
When a file in the cminstall folder is installed by acme installer, it'll be deleted.

Assuming you intend to use acme3, you only want files in there that you want to flash again. I suspect it might only be your gApps, if that failed last time.

If you intend to flash manually (via recovery, not acme), you can put them wherever you like.

Upvote 0
ok now im in uncharted territory

do i delete the "cm9 zip" and the "ics gapp zip" in the "cminstall" folder

and replace it with the "cm10 zip" and the "jelly bean gapp zip"

or can i just paste them all in the "cminstall" folder

Whoa. slow down here. You've got CM9 installed and working smoothly. CM9 was as close to a stable release as one could want. Least amount of issues and you sound pretty green at this installing/flashing business. CM10 and CM10.1 running quite will, but have certain issues remaining that are working fine in CM9. I think you should stick with CM9 for now. Lurk around the CM10/10.1 threads, read, watch all the available videos about maintaining one's TouchPad and after you have a better grasp of all this, then you might want to give upgrading to a newer version. Get in too big a hurry, and you are going to screw something up and you'll be back here asking how to unbrick your tablet. And worst case, you night brick it permanently.

Upvote 0
i got cm10 and the correct gapps running last night. im on a roll baby! or just really lucky so im not going to push it anymore.

i feel really lucky because i installed about 5 apps before jumping to cm10 and behold my apps were still there after the first boot.

when i got cm9 i had some apps that were hanging that i had to reboot for it to work again. e.g. fire truck game app similar to that car game where the driver had a big head and the car would pivot. you use if car turns over and he break his neck. pretty low quality app but thats why my boy wanted.

i dont experience that now. and it looks much smoother and looks crisp

i followed mr sullivan directions. i will donate to him.

i am glad to help other noobs. the jargon i think i have to learn so that i fit in with the crowd. but i am techie by heart

Upvote 0
thes is no risk for me. the alternative is using the touchpad as a high tech mirror. Apps on webos is worthless.

so installing android is a no brainer.

wait i have an issue with CM10. the camera is not working! how can i video call?

"unfortunately camera stopped working"

whats up with that?

Upvote 0
Bought another Touchpad on eBay. Didn't mean to win but I did. That makes three. I don't have that many eyes. This one comes with the official case and a Touchstone. Advertised as immaculate with no defects and all original boxes. Great price can't wait.

This thread is called "HP Touchpad" so I figured my little random post fits that catagory.
Can't wait...can't wait...can't wait.

Upvote 0
That must be the one you advertised as "comes with the official case and a Touchstone. It's immaculate with no defects and all original boxes.":D

Truth told I think in the end the Touchpads will be the only ones I keep. They are he only pads I have that I am completely satisfied with. There are a couple of Quads I should have my hands on over the next two months so we will see how they fare against those.

Upvote 0
I will keep one, and my mother currently has one, so hope to sell two.

I picked up a couple of 32 gb Surface RT tablets ($300 ea.) for us that didn't boot and like them. It's nice to have a tablet that's more wide screen and can actually do things a normal tablet doesn't, like print.... :D

Upvote 0
Got my tracking number. Now I can obsess over the delivery until the Touch pad gets here. Then I can begin obsessing over the Touchpad.
I have (between me and my wife)
2- Le Pan ll's
1- Le Pan S
1- HP Touch pad 16 gig
2- HP Touchpad 32 gig

One of the Le Pans will probably hit the chopping block. But which one? I'd keep the S because it was given to me by the factory and I am supposed to be some kind of tester. Rabid1 and I are testing their new Jellybean update now. It works great. Only problem is, it is purple. I'd feel pretty guilty if I got rid of that one.
The Le Pan ll is a great looking tablet with a brushed aluminum black shell. Same processor as the Touchpad. Le Pan Tablets have GPS, HDMI out and rj45 which are pretty nice features and I have a hacked otg cable for the ll.

Keeping both Touch pads for sure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones