• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HSPA+ GSM vs the CDMA verizon nexus

ajdroidx

Android Expert
Oct 8, 2011
Colorado
Seriously thinking about making the purchase for the unlocked HSPA + nexus and for service just shove a prepaid AT&T card in it. Of course I am leery of getting another nexus, even a GSM version because of the issues I am having with my verizon model. Floppy signal mainly where it will cycle from no data to 4g while sitting in the same spot.

I am also starting to wonder if verizon just, basically, sucks in my area. I started to think this when I ran a speed test on my moms galaxy note (HSPA+) and my nexus on 4g, same server, same time and the note destroyed my nexus in speed. I got about 2+gbps and she got like 8+. No way! The note also held a signal better in my work and even did respectable inside where I work.

The nexus only done worse.

So, this left me to think perhaps it could be my location could just suck for verizon. That and the erratic signal my Nexus has while out and about.

I did read the GSM version had a little signal snafu that was patched after the 4.0.4 update.

How is the call quality on the GSM / HSPA+ version? Signal strength?

I can't comment on the GSM version of the Nexus, but I can say that the problems you are experiencing aren't normal. I'd give Verizon tech support a call and get another Nexus (unless you've had it for under 14 days, then just take it back to the store). I had a replacement Nexus that was doing the exact same thing your's is doing. It most likely isn't the area, it is a bad phone.

Upvote 0
You know, when I posted this, the thought slipped my mind that my buddy at work has a Reound and he gets far better reception and signal strength then I do, even when standing next to me.

Perhaps there really is a problem with my phone. It was refurbished replacement after all. Got shortly after my first nexus. 3rd times a charm? Do I really want to go through the trouble of restoring this phone and try to get a warranty replacement on it? Really? reinstall the drivers on my PC (should not be as hard with Wugs tools) only to get yet another certified replacement that was likely returned for the same issues?

Really!?

I downloaded the open signal app to see if I am the area I live and work actually has a lull in the service. Right now the app cannot even find the 1x signal, but that is understandable as I am in the basement, I do have the extender and wifi, both strong signals.

I plan on sticking the app on my moms AT&T note and compare and see which one is going to give me the better service.

I am thinking about other phones on other companies. AT&T. Note, or one X or S3?

Upvote 0
For what it's worth... My GNex on TMo, I get generally around 600-2000kbps (lower end when in buildings). In some areas I get 8-9mbps.

Verizon's 3g around here will struggle to match the low end of my speeds. But 4g can pump out 25mbps in some cases (some friends and co-workers on Verizon, all of whom have gone through at least two phones due to connectivity issues). Other times it is in the 2-5mbps range. And other times it won't stay connected. This is on GNex's, Bionics, and RAZRs.

To me, I get more consistent data and better battery life with my GSM GNex than someone with the Verizon GNex. But they will sometimes get substantially better speeds than I could hope for.

So they both have some trade-offs, that will likely always be true. And your specific location will dictate how bad the trade-offs are. I don't get LTE speeds on my GNex, but I haven't once wished I was on a Verizon contract or had a VZW GNex.

Upvote 0
Yeah, what good are those speeds if the phone cannot stay connected to the towers? Catch 22 situation. I think I would rather have a more constant connection at a lower speed then blazing fast all or nothing connection sporadically.

When I bought my Moms note, I did a speed test right at the ATT store and hit a ridiculous 31mbps! while the Note only hit 2mb, but it was fresh bought and still probably registering with the network. Now last night, the Note killed my nexus in terms of network speed and this was on HSPA+ Granted, it only hit about 8mbps but the connection was more stable where I worked, at least the short time I was in the place.

I am starting to wonder. Verizon may have the largest 4G network, but ATT may have more towers that support HSPA+ and thus has the better network.

So I guess the question is: Blazing fast speeds (which are rare) and an unreliable connection or, slower speeds on a more reliable connection. I think option 2 may be worth looking into more.

I guess this is okay. Verizons offering on phones is getting pretty limited and redundant. iPhones, droids, and a few other odds and ends.

Upvote 0
My GSM nexus works better than my Verizon one ever did.
Just the call quality is night and day.

At the now reduced price it's a -steal- hands down.

Edit:
Here is a test I ran the other day.. using T-Mobile.
The pings are always strange but when I tether they are usually ~90ms on a computer. (??)

I don't need LTE... this is fine for me.

201505852.png

Upvote 0
Though it's hard to say it will work perfectly fine for you, GSM Nexus seems to get far less complaints on signal reception than VZW version based on forums like here. Samsung generally does GSM/HSPA+ radios pretty reliably compared to CDMA radios they sometimes drop ball.

$349 for GSM Nexus on Play store without contract is amazing pricing. You can try prepaid Straight talk plan with AT&T service. If Note is working well over there, chances are GSM Nexus will do so too. GSIII on at&t seems tempting too, but it's more costly or requires contract.

Upvote 0
My GSM nexus works better than my Verizon one ever did.
Just the call quality is night and day.

At the now reduced price it's a -steal- hands down.

Edit:
Here is a test I ran the other day.. using T-Mobile.
The pings are always strange but when I tether they are usually ~90ms on a computer. (??)

I don't need LTE... this is fine for me.

201505852.png

I wish 3G on Verizon was anywhere near your upload speed. Then it would be actually usable for things other than text and small images!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones