• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire HD GPS transformed from unusable to perfect

Gone to GPS fix in a few seconds then spot on accuracy from not working at all

I've surfed for months & found bits of what works for me to fix this, but never found all of this together:

I get GPS fix in 5 to 10 seconds outdoors & often indoors by doing the following (I suggest you write down your original settings so you can reset things when not using Sat Nav or other GPS dependent apps):

- menu - Settings - Location (switch GPS on & Wireless networks off)

- menu - Settings - Wireless & networks (switch Wi-fi & Mobile network off)

- menu - Settings - Wireless & networks - Mobile networks - Access Point Names (make sure there is an entry with your network provider name & default,supl underneath it. Create a new entry if this doesn't exist. Highlight this entry)

- Start GPS Status (it's free from the Market) you should get a very quick GPS fix.

- In my case Locations & Premium Navigation work smoothly & with spot on accuracy now.

If this proves useful to others it would be great if a developer with the right skills could write a widget to do this!

Hope it helps some of you,

David

Reactions: JediMeerkat
Hello David,

Just got a new HTCDHD and I cannot get the GPS to work either. I'm waiting for a new sim from my my new supplier and when I get transferred over I will try your suggestions. Do I run GPS status before or after I run locations? Do I need to run GPS status every time I use GPS on locations, premium nav or google maps?

I've just looked at - menu - Settings - Wireless & networks - Mobile networks - Access Point Names and my entry is o2 postpay and in small text underneath it says wap.o2.co.uk. I can't see any reference to default,supl ???? It's the only entry in Access Point Names.

Thanks Ray :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones