• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire Multitouch errors

codral

Sep 12, 2010
Hey so i have froyo 2.2 on a SLCD desire... Anyway i notice that when i have two fingers on the screen at the same time the point on the screen i'm touching changes.. This is particularly annoying on the PSX4droid emulator as it presses the wrong button 30% of the time..

Is this a hardware problem or software problem? Any idea if there are any updates? I've tried googling but some ppl claim to have problems whereas others claim the multitouch is fine...

any ideas? cheers

up, anyone? can't seem to find much info, alot of conflicting stuff, one site saying that there is a htc update coming out to fix it, some saying it's a screen limitation (which i seriously hope it isn't)

This multitouch problem makes it very difficult to play most games, espec ones on ps, etc

Upvote 0
thought i may as well use HTC's customer service and just sent them off an email.

The error i have isn't to do with the pinch zoom being buggered up (mind you i can't do it with my thumb and forefinger, only two fingers)

something about axis flipping and point sticking... downloaded a visible test and it's munted as on that

did they ever release a fix driver or anything

Upvote 0
gahh this is painful to read, seems like it's totally hopeless, few people have had a go and supposedly it's such a big problem that even drivers couldn't really fix it... fark i'm regretting getting this thing now, everything else i love about it but not being able to bugger around on the psx emulator when i'm travelling sucks realy hard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noQBUDy-WCQ

explains it... :<

from elsewhere

"When there are two touch points on the screen separated diagonally, there are two peaks in each projection histogram, but the hardware has no way of knowing if this represents a forward diagonal configuration or a reverse diagonal configuration. As a result, points that are being tracked can swap over each other.

When points get too close together in one dimension, their histogram peaks merge together in that dimension, giving an undesirable &#8220;snapping&#8221; of the points to each others&#8217; ordinates (one of the two coordinates). The radius of touch points on the screen is quite large (because the peaks in the projection histogram have to be quite well separated to be counted as separate peaks), so when fingers get close together, both points can merge into a single point, meaning your fingers can&#8217;t start really close together in a &#8220;zoom in&#8221;/&#8221;pinch-out&#8221; gesture."

Basically they've used a sketchy screen, too save money, which is a little over a year old and has been superseded by a clearpad 3000, which has no problems

gah...

My last chance is to try a ROM, i've heard rumours that the problem was fixed in the 'Cyanogen' rom... But i know this will void the crap out of my warranty and could brick my phone... EDIT: the fix was flipping a switch that was enabled on the N1 phone and supposedly fixes things a little bit, but not much by stopping the points from crossing, which is good but it does not stop them prom sticking together unfortunately!... Can't seem to find a solution on any of the android hacking sites which is a worry... wish i had some phone knowledge i'd try myself

Has anyone tried a ROM with the fix? Or is there any roms which are identical to the standard but + the switch?

My other choice is to cut my losses and sell it

aghh, decisions, decisions!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones