• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC EVO 4G Bricked?

Berlusconi

Dec 30, 2010
Okay, so I'm new to the forums and if this post is in the wrong section then please forgive me.

I've been working with my friends HTC EVO 4G (PC36100) for the past 4 hours now trying to root it in order to install a wifi tethering application. As far as I know it was running the Froyo 2.2 OS.

At this point I could care less about completing the rooting process or having the tethering app.

I'm afraid I've bricked it and I can't find an answer anywhere so I opted to create a new thread.

I've gone through the process of reverting back to 2.1 using this guide: [GUIDE] How to root Android 2.2 on the EVO 4G Outdated - xda-developers

Here is a screenshot of the command line:
u4VTH.png

After running the command I booted into HBOOT to install the update("PC36IAG.zip"). The update installation failed on "RADIO_V2". It says "RADIO_V2 - Fail-PU".

Everything else looks good.

"[1] BOOTLOADER - Bypassed
[2] RADIO_V2 - Fail-PU
[3] BOOT - OK
[4] RECOVERY - OK
[5] SYSTEM - OK
[6] USERDATA - OK
[7] MICROP - OK
[8] SPLASH1 - OK
[9] WIMAX - OK
Partition update fail!
Update fail!"

After this it asks if I want to reboot the device. If i do, it goes to the HTC splash screen and hangs. If I choose "no" it returns to the boot menu.

Here are a few pictures of what's happening. (Please excuse the quality, I had to use my brothers iPod Touch.)

The boot screen before loading the .zip update:
lTPWH.jpg

The booter loading the .zip:
UjTAY.jpg

The beginning of the installation:
Bt2bU

The failed installation:
TzSwc.jpg

The screen that the phone hangs on:
HUJVJ.jpg

Then the recovery screen after pressing "POWER" + "VOLUME UP":
s8Hds.jpg

I've tried all recovery menu items with no success.

Can anyone offer me any pointers as to what to do to restore the phone?

Anything at all would be great. All data is already backed up and I'm not worried about losing anything. I'd hate to have to tell my friend that the phone is a brick now.

sorry, i'm not sure how to get you out of where your are. but the phone looks like it is not bricked. you can get to the the hboot screen so you should be able to get it going.

I see you have hboot version 2.02 do you know what hardware version the phone is or at least how long ago was it purchased?

I think you may have used an out of date root method.

Upvote 0
sorry, i'm not sure how to get you out of where your are. but the phone looks like it is not bricked. you can get to the the hboot screen so you should be able to get it going.

I see you have hboot version 2.02 do you know what hardware version the phone is or at least how long ago was it purchased?

I think you may have used an out of date root method.

The phone is no less than a week old. How do I find out the hardware version?

Upvote 0
No offense to the OP, but I have to wonder why some people keep trying to root with a method that says "outdated" in the title...

Follow wrap's advise to get things back to normal, then do yourself a favor and root with unrevoked either with the current beta or wait for the official release due any time.

I never noticed the title. If the method is outdate, then, no offense to the OP, but they should make it MUCH more clear.

Upvote 0
I never noticed the title. If the method is outdate, then, no offense to the OP, but they should make it MUCH more clear.

That's a fair enough observation. It's really hard with these devices. HTC/Sprint will release an update, then all the developers have to find new exploits. Along the way, a lot of obsolete information is created, and it's hard to keep up with what's current. Good luck getting everything working. I apologize if I sounded like a jerk, btw. It's just that several people have gotten hung up with the same rooting method in the past few days. Unrevoked should definitely do it for you, now.

Upvote 0
That's a fair enough observation. It's really hard with these devices. HTC/Sprint will release an update, then all the developers have to find new exploits. Along the way, a lot of obsolete information is created, and it's hard to keep up with what's current. Good luck getting everything working. I apologize if I sounded like a jerk, btw. It's just that several people have gotten hung up with the same rooting method in the past few days. Unrevoked should definitely do it for you, now.

The first method I tried was unrEVOked. It failed halfway through multiple times and all Google searches pointed to that thread. No offense was taken, this whole process is just frustrating. I've been working with this phone for hours on end with no success. I tried updating it with the pc36img and no dice. It says "loading pc36diag.zip... NO SUCH FILE" (or something similar) and goes back to HBOOT.

I'm downloading the RUU now, I'm on a 3Mb/s connection so it's a bit of a DL.

I will report back with the situation. Thanks for everyones input.

Upvote 0
Which unrevoked did you use? They *just* released a beta that will root 2.02/2.10. Any version before that will not work. If you either use the beta or wait for the full release, it will work.

As far as pc36img is concerned - silly question, but did you rename the file? You have to make sure it's actually named pc36img.zip.

Yes, I named it "pc36img" and "pc36diag".

I didn't add the ".zip" because I know that Windows hides the file extension by default.

As for unrEVOked, I used version 3.22. Is that the correct version?

As for RUU, it won't let me run it until the phone is charged so I'm letting it charge now. Does the phone charge while off or at the HBOOT menu?

Upvote 0
Yes, I named it "pc36img" and "pc36diag".

I didn't add the ".zip" because I know that Windows hides the file extension by default.

As for unrEVOked, I used version 3.22. Is that the correct version?

As for RUU, it won't let me run it until the phone is charged so I'm letting it charge now. Does the phone charge while off or at the HBOOT menu?

1) Unhide extensions and make sure the file is named correctly.
2) That is the current stable release, and it will not root hboot 2.02. The just released a beta, and will be releasing a full version soon. it's 3.4, if I'm not mistaken.
3) If the phone is off, as long as the charging light turns on, the phone is charging.

Upvote 0
1) Unhide extensions and make sure the file is named correctly.
2) That is the current stable release, and it will not root hboot 2.02. The just released a beta, and will be releasing a full version soon. it's 3.4, if I'm not mistaken.
3) If the phone is off, as long as the charging light turns on, the phone is charging.

The phone wasn't charging in the HBOOT menu and is charging via the AC adapter now. Once the phone collects a decent charge I'll try unrEVOked and if it fails I'll try RUU.

Upvote 0
I just wanna let everyone know that trying to unroot there htc evo 4g with the new 3.70 update.
1. Install Htc Sync HTC Mobile Phone Support - HTC EVO? 4G (Sprint) - Downloads
2. Uninstall Htc Sync, all you needed from that is the htc drivers
3. Download this Ruu, for some reason all the other ruu's wouldn't launch on my computer. Shipped ROMs
4. Go to settings on evo an enable usb debugging
5. Plug in evo to computer, set to charge only.
6. Use the ruu an leave your phone alone til ruu says its done.
7. your gonna be running 3.26 so your gonna have to keep updating til you gets the newest update.
Hope this helped!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones