• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC EVO 4G LTE Camera Specs and Discussion

I think it was already proven somewhere else that the sound effect of the shutter has no correlation to the actual shutter, which IMO is very unfortunate.

Yeah. I hold the shutter down for consecutive shots, hear 5 shutter sounds and stop to review only 2 photos that have been taken.

I think HDR definitely takes longer exposures for one of the three shots taken. I slowly moved the camera laterally and noticed streaks in the final image.

Upvote 0
I was wondering if any one could give me some advise on the camera? I am having trouble with the focus on it. When I go into the camera app its fine but as the camera is refocusing on things it will eventually totally un-focus it's self and will not refocus until I navigate out of the app. While this is inconsistent eventually it always seems to happen (usually within 10 seconds). I have tried the Camera Pudding app as well to see if a different app would do any better but no luck, any suggestions?

Thanks Chris.

Upvote 0
I was wondering if any one could give me some advise on the camera? I am having trouble with the focus on it. When I go into the camera app its fine but as the camera is refocusing on things it will eventually totally un-focus it's self and will not refocus until I navigate out of the app. While this is inconsistent eventually it always seems to happen (usually within 10 seconds). I have tried the Camera Pudding app as well to see if a different app would do any better but no luck, any suggestions?

Thanks Chris.
Bump

does anyone have some advise for me or is having the same issue?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Thanks Chris.

Bump

does anyone have some advise for me or is having the same issue?

Thanks

Hello Chris, I made an account just to give you a reply.

I had the exact same problem with my first LTEvo. My camera would sometimes focus and not refocus when trying to take pictures. And as you said, it would eventually unfocus itself and not refocus until I closed the app and restarted it. I force closed the camera app and cleared the data, but that didn't solve the problem, I also tried using a third party camera app and still didn't fix it. I couldn't figure it out, so I made a thread over at XDA and turns out we are not alone in this problem. A few others had the same problem and ended up just exchanging their phones. Thankfully I was still under my 30day guarantee so I just went and exchanged it for a new phone and the new one I picked up worked flawlessly.

Upvote 0
Hello Chris, I made an account just to give you a reply.

I had the exact same problem with my first LTEvo. My camera would sometimes focus and not refocus when trying to take pictures. And as you said, it would eventually unfocus itself and not refocus until I closed the app and restarted it. I force closed the camera app and cleared the data, but that didn't solve the problem, I also tried using a third party camera app and still didn't fix it. I couldn't figure it out, so I made a thread over at XDA and turns out we are not alone in this problem. A few others had the same problem and ended up just exchanging their phones. Thankfully I was still under my 30day guarantee so I just went and exchanged it for a new phone and the new one I picked up worked flawlessly.

Thanks Kinny89,

not exactly what I want to hear but at least it tells me the course of action. The only problem is I got this phone July 1st and will not be in the country until August 8th, but I will contact sprint to see if they will help.

Upvote 0
Thanks Kinny89,

not exactly what I want to hear but at least it tells me the course of action. The only problem is I got this phone July 1st and will not be in the country until August 8th, but I will contact sprint to see if they will help.

Ok,

so I got the bright idea that the camera focus was probably due to a dirty lens so I took off the semi transperent plastic cover that housed the lens and cleaned it well, hoping that dirt was the issue, with no luck. I hope I can still return this phone Ahhhhahahah.

Reactions: 3vodroid
Upvote 0
I had to swap out my phone last week due to the error code 97 - the camera on the new phone seems significantly worse than the camera on the old phone.

Here's a picture of a painting I had taken on the old phone that I just took on the new one. They were taken in different locations but you can see the image on the new one is much less clear & sharp. The only camera setting I ever changed on my old phone was to reduce the redness by -1 (I know that's not an official setting, lol - but I can't remember which setting it was and I need to go to work now) and I haven't done anything to the camera settings on the new one. I'll have to do some other testing & experimenting but if I can't figure out how to improve it I'll be going back to the Sprint store.

P.S. looks like my image links aren't quite right, first time I tried linking from photobucket & no time to figure them out right now but hopefully you can still see from the thumbnails.

Edit: Big fat oops on my part.... OPERATOR ERROR!! I was driving to work and suddenly I thought to look at the lens on the back of the camera.... it had some schmutz on it (I'm not Jewish, I just think "schmutz" is a funny word). No idea how I managed to get some goop on just the lens since I'm generally pretty careful where I set my phone down and I don't handle it with grimy fingers... but ummm.... ignore the above issue. When the lens is actually clean it takes wonderful pictures just like my "old" phone... imagine that...:rolleyes:

PPS. I'm not a blonde or a senior (no offense to anyone who's either!) but I do have some Polish in me... maybe that's my problem... LOL :D

Upvote 0
I am having the same focus issue. Every few seconds it re focuses. Really notice it when taking video

That sucks,

did you try the front facing camera? Mine seems to work fine with that camera but the main one,..... ya never know when it will loose focus and stay unfocused. The one thing I did notice is that when it looses focus on what you are trying to take a pic of it sets it's self to focus on things very near.

Upvote 0
I had to swap out my phone last week due to the error code 97 - the camera on the new phone seems significantly worse than the camera on the old phone.

Here's a picture of a painting I had taken on the old phone that I just took on the new one. They were taken in different locations but you can see the image on the new one is much less clear & sharp. The only camera setting I ever changed on my old phone was to reduce the redness by -1 (I know that's not an official setting, lol - but I can't remember which setting it was and I need to go to work now) and I haven't done anything to the camera settings on the new one. I'll have to do some other testing & experimenting but if I can't figure out how to improve it I'll be going back to the Sprint store.

Old phone:

New phone:

P.S. looks like my image links aren't quite right, first time I tried linking from photobucket & no time to figure them out right now but hopefully you can still see from the thumbnails.

I agree,

the new phone is less sharp and detailed.

Upvote 0
The final conclusion:

I will have to replace this phone if I want a camera that forcuses correctly.

I really like my phone and have it customized the way I like it and it was because of that, I decided to try to replace the camera sensor. I went to ETrade supply and bought one for $16 and they shipped it very fast, and they have videos on Youtube taking phones apart, so the process was fast and easy. The problem: it still didn't fix my focus issues, so any one else having the same problems, it's not the sensor.

Upvote 0
I tried using this on my camera, but after it was done and said "stitching together pictures," there was only one picture in my gallery, and it was only of the initial position of the camera when I first pressed the capture button. It was not of the whole scene that I scanned. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Page 156 of the owners manual:

1. On the Viewfinder screen, touch (A).

2. Touch Panorama.

Note: Zoom and flash are disabled when you’re in this mode.

3. When you’re ready to take the first shot, touch [there is an icon that is on screen, looks like a doughnut] . Directional arrows appear, prompting you to pan left or right in landscape view (or pan up or down in portrait view).

4. As you pan, a guide appears onscreen. Use this to frame the first portion of the scene
you want to capture.

5. Continue moving your phone as smoothly as you can. The camera automatically
captures five consecutive frames.

6. Touch [an icon with an 'X' in it] to stop capturing anytime.

The camera stitches the shots into a single photo.

you may also try resetting the handset and either looking for the photo again or retaking another one.

you have to also make sure you are moving slowly and steadily in the same plane as the image you want to take. if you are really shaky or jerky, the shot will not come out stitched properly.

Upvote 0
Ok, I figured it out. I wasn't using the onscreen rectangles to frame my pictures, I was just moving the camera sideways. I didn't know you had to line up the scene in all five rectangles. Thanks.

#4 and #5 in the quote above ;) Glad all is worked out!

4. As you pan, a guide appears onscreen. Use this to frame the first portion of the scene
you want to capture.

5. Continue moving your phone as smoothly as you can. The camera automatically
captures five consecutive frames.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

Is anyone interested in a camera setting to adjust quality, i.e., the JPEG compression? If so, I'd like to encourage everyone to contact HTC and let them know it is a desired feature to implement on the HTC EVO 4G LTE. I assume this feature is currently not implemented (at least I couldn't find it in the camera settings).

I'd guess that the camera is currently defaulting to a "superfine" setting which results in fairly sizable JPGs, but that setting is not accessible to see or change. Superfine is great for outdoor or other well-lit photographs, but for darker indoor/motion pictures, the "fine" or "normal" setting would be more appropriate to match the photo type as it's usually blurry or fuzzy anyway, so any "superfine" details are only capturing the details of the artifacts/blur so it's a waste to create large file sizes without good lighting.

Last I read on this subject, HTC was interested in feedback on what to modify on the camera interface, among other things. I think I read that somewhere, perhaps on this forum on an old discussion thread regarding issues with the camera focus.

I liked the ability to set compression/quality as seen on the original EVO, where you could set the compression/quality to normal, fine, or superfine. I actually prefer normal because that results in much smaller file sizes (e.g., 1/3 of the size) to save space etc. when you are doing indoor/crappy photos without great lighting.

Apologies if already covered, but I didn't encounter much detail on this subject when searching the forum.

Is anyone else interested in this, or am I a lone voice lost in a crowd here? I think it's great to add features like this, and HTC previously had the feature in earlier phones like the OG EVO. I think they would add it in if we get a good sized group of people providing feedback? Anyone know a specific way of contacting HTC to provide this feedback, besides their general contact info?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones