• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Htc evo 4g rooted

ill admit I am new to android and have been considering rooting my evo eventually. Mostly because I just don't want the default sprint apps on it taking up the space. But I am willing to wait to see just how much space of the ginormous space they give us. added to the fact froyo allows you to store apps on the sd. Atm I don't have much motivation to root it. Maybe for the free hotspot feature when 4g comes to nyc.

Upvote 0
Not sure why people insist on ruining perfectly good photo's when they can be easily cleaned up.

Here's a less annoying version.

evo4g.jpg

Upvote 0
Not sure why people insist on ruining perfectly good photo's when they can be easily cleaned up.

Here's a less annoying version.

But you removed the rooter's alias from the image... perhaps he would like credit for his exploits?

I'm pumped for these guys to (hopefully) release details on their exploit. Google/Sprint must of anticipated this. Giving 5,000 phones to people with a deep understanding of Android is just asking for a root exploit.

My first actions will be to remove unnecessary Sprint apps, install WiFi tethering, and start exploring the system. I have some aspirations for running a web-server on my EVO and seeing how far I can get with that.

Upvote 0
I knew it would be rooted before release! Froyo, here we come!

Indeed. What I wonder is this, Don't they normally get updated roms from another phone that has the update and then port it over? How will this work with having to turn the 4g radio off and on, will this be a code that can be copied and pasted? Just curious as I have no idea how rom cooking works.

Upvote 0
in my opinion, if u dont know what your doing or your not very tech savvy then dont do it. but if u are willing to read and do research etc etc, then i would say take a chance. but yes, u can brick your phone by doing such. but thats a chance that we all take as "rooters", we want to experience everything our phones has to offer and not be forced to use what the carrier wants us to.

I will like to learn about rooting. Any links or articles you'd recommend me reading up on?

Upvote 0
I will like to learn about rooting. Any links or articles you'd recommend me reading up on?

If you are going to root you HAVE to learn to search yourself. It's not hard, but you can't ask dumb questions because most won't answer. rooting android - Google Search

Best thing to do with an EVO when you root is:

a.) Remove all the crappy bloatware like SprintTV and Sprint Nascar.

b.) Install Wi-Fi tether so you can tether your pc to phone without having to pay $30/month

Reactions: hopalee
Upvote 0
Indeed. What I wonder is this, Don't they normally get updated roms from another phone that has the update and then port it over? How will this work with having to turn the 4g radio off and on, will this be a code that can be copied and pasted? Just curious as I have no idea how rom cooking works.

If you are talking about froyo,which I assume you as we all want that, it appears that 4g is native to froyo not something sprint added in.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones