• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Incredible Boot Loop - trying to help friend

Mine is doing it also. I was on a road trip with a friend and she finally woke me up after the third Droid. I slept through it. It's still doing it and it was locking up to the point I had to do a battery pull each time just to restart it. I was taking pictures and it kept locking up after every third picture. How annoying! My solution: upgrade to a Rezound for $80. I was eligible and knew it was time to put my beloved Dinc to rest. I managed to get in just under the wire to keep my unlimited data. Of course, that's not a solution for everyone. My Dinc will still make a rocking MP3/video player and is completely usable on WiFi with Google Voice.

Upvote 0
Hi Guys!! Thanks for all the good info on this thread! I just tried to trick my phone into the loop by advancing the time, but the loop hasnt started. 15 minutes has lapsed so far. Has anyone else tried this and not been successful? I will leave it with the advanced date/time for today and see what happens.

I do agree with someone earlier in the post, a heads up from Verizon/HTC about the expected reboot loop/optimization would have been nice. I hope they enjoy all the calls. I wouldnt.

Upvote 0
Just sent this e-mail to HTC Support:
<< Hello. Since the recent OTA update to my Verizon HTC Droid Incredible, to v4.08.605.15, I, too, have been experiencing the dreaded 2:00 AM reboot loop, every morning. I've seen various/conflicting responses to this issue, on several Droid forums.
Is there a fix to this, or does letting it "run its course" actually work?
I've tried several suggested solutions, such as removing lately added apps, restoring backed up system settings, pulling the battery, data reset, etc.
When it (finally!) stops, it works, perfectly, until 2:00 am, the next morning.
I've also noticed, that when I pull out the charger/power cord in the early a.m., the screen does not light up, as normal. When I plug it back in, the screen does not light up, either, as though it doesn't recognize the power source has changed.
I just manually set the date/time ahead, to 2:00 am, Sunday, and it's been reboot-looping for the past ~3 hours, straight.
Can HTC please provide a definitive solution? Thanx! >>

Update:

I have received an e-mail acknowledgement from HTC, that they've received my above message.

After the Sat inducing of the 2:00 am Sun reboot loop, I then manually set to 2:00 am Mon, Tue, Wed, and even the following Mon. None of these stirred the reboot sequence.

At about 8:00 pm, last nite, after fully-charging the phone, I unplugged it, and left it alone, overnite. I watched it at 4:00 am, this morning, looking for any sign of the reboot loop. It stayed dark, so I left it that way until 5:30 am (past the ~3 hour window), figuring the battery had either been depleted, or it did not reboot-loop, last nite.

When I pushed the power button, at 5:30 am, the phone turned on, and I was pleasantly surprised to see the battery charge level was at 94% (from 99%, when I turned it off, 8:00 pm Sat nite). Sat's 3-hour reboot loop cycle dropped the battery charge about 25%.

It's been working fine, all day, so far, and I intend to follow the above sequence for the the next few nites, or so, to see if I experience the same outcome.

Cross your fingers...

Upvote 0
This thing is a zombie... rebooted 2-3 days 2 weeks ago then stopped. Did it again 2 days last week and stopped. Rebooted last 2 days from 2:00 - 5:00 am. I hate this thing... Won't die.. must kill it with fire!!!

I just gave my wife the upgrade 2 months ago because she did not like her phone... Stupid me!!!

Upvote 0
Spent and evening with my friends at HTC and Verizon.. HTC said there are actually 2 updates. The first one 4.08.605.15 710RD is the messed up one. The second one will be coming. It should happen anytime. and will go through the reboot cycle until it is done. between 3:30 am - 5:00 am if it does it more than 3 days call them. Do not shut it down or pull the battery.

Who knows? I did a system restore and then had to call verizon to reactivate my phone with Verizon. What a pain.

Upvote 0
I also have been dealing with this. I hate updates when everything is working fine but got tired of hitting "udate later" so went ahead with the update on 7-5. That night I had the stupid reboot and after 45 minutes turned the phone off. The next morning I found several forums and tried the date change thing but couldn't replicate the reboot loop. Everything was fine until this AM 7-14-12 at 02:35 as I hit REM...

I just got off the phone with Verizon service and he said I was "being pushed for Ice Cream Sandwich" (which I highly doubt because I see NO ICS features on my phone after the install). His explanation is that my phone needs to be "recalibrated with the network" and I should call #228 and choose option 2. I did this and everything went off without a hitch. Still the same old GUI and features without any ICS noticable.

Hopefully this takes care of it, although I'm doubtful. One other poster here mentioned he needs to have reliable phone service. I'm in the same boat, I'm on call for work and need to be available by phone for the cardiac catheterization lab. We open up coronary arteries and place stents in them to stop you from having a heart attack. This reboot loop has had two seriously dangerous effects -for me at least. First, my phone is unavailable during this loop and second, listening to "DROID!" all night has made me less than sharp the next day when I need to be on my A game for my patients.

This update process seriously should have been 1) tested better 2) come with a warning or notification 3) given the option to refuse the update.

Someone dropped the ball big time.

Upvote 0
So, I finally solved my reboot problem. After doing a hard reset and then a "factory reset". Hard reset uses the erase button under settings and a factory reset uses taking out the battery, replacing it and press volume down then tap the power button bringing up a OS screen with options. After doing both of those without success and spending time on the phone with Verizon and with HTC, I reformatted by memory card, after backing it up of course. After reformatting the memory card, I left it out that night and it did the reboot loop once more and not again. Card is reinstalled and data replaced.
I don't know if this will work for other folks, but if you've tried all the reset's I mentioned, try reformatting your memory card.
Good luck!

Upvote 0
Spent and evening with my friends at HTC and Verizon.. HTC said there are actually 2 updates. The first one 4.08.605.15 710RD is the messed up one. The second one will be coming. It should happen anytime. and will go through the reboot cycle until it is done. between 3:30 am - 5:00 am if it does it more than 3 days call them. Do not shut it down or pull the battery.

Who knows? I did a system restore and then had to call verizon to reactivate my phone with Verizon. What a pain.

UPDATE: No luck! damn thing has rebooted last 4 days at 3:35-5:00. I hate this thing.. it's like herpes...never goes away... :mad:

Upvote 0
UPDATE: No luck! damn thing has rebooted last 4 days at 3:35-5:00. I hate this thing.. it's like herpes...never goes away... :mad:

Have had the same problem since getting the update... including 3/4 or 4/4 nights since a factory reset on Sunday.

Verizon shipped me a replacement today. Will be interesting to see if this helps or if it's just the same old thing. I'm suspecting the latter.

Upvote 0
We'll see... I did a hard reset, factory reset and formatted the SD card last weekend. No luck, reboots continued every 3 minutes form 2:00AM to 5:00AM (back to normal, right?). I pulled the SD card Thursday night and let it do it's thing. No reboots on Friday or Saturday. If the process just takes a vacation every Thursday through Sunday, I'm really going to be hacked off. I don't think that's the case though, as the boot loop was happening every night for the last three weeks.

It appears that a combination of completely wiping the phone and then pulling the card has quieted things for now. It will be interesting to see if the cycle returns, like it has for some. I have a theory about this whole debacle:

Memory optimization requires reading and rewriting data. My guess is that HTC determined that 3 hours was long enough to optimize 8 GB of internal storage, not taking into consideration the additional storage of the SD card. Also, if the optimization script didn't finish in the three hours, it would not restart where it left off the night before. Bad programming folks, we know that one for sure.

It's a shame that Verizon/HTC customers have to resort to formulating theories about why their phones are jacked up after an update, and remedies to fix the problems that the support people can't seem to get their stories straight on. Things would sit a little better with me if they would have been a bit more specific on what the update did, what the phone was going to do up front. This was a blindside with no forewarning that it was comming.

Absolutely ridiculous... my contract was up three months ago. I've now started the process of evaluating other phones and other carriers, with customer service and attention to detail being the focal points. I love my phone, but I hate picking up other people's messes, and this is one mess that a lot of Verizon/HTC customers have had to clean up, without the help of the ones who made the mess in the first place!

Upvote 0
After 3 weeks of the 2am reboots and having tried every possible suggestion on this forum and others, I decided to call Verizon. I spent almost an hour on the phone with them, trying to get some resolution, but no luck. Spent most of the time with the tier 2 support guy who then transferred me to his supervisor, who then transferred me to HTC.

First, it really annoyed me that all the VZ people I talked to acted like they have not heard of this issue, even though it

Upvote 0
Say, next time you talk with HTC tell them about the solution I found for this bug. A Samsung Galaxy SIII...

Seriously though, mine seemed to stop on it's own about 5 days before the new phone came and since I upgraded I haven't had the reboot loop again. And I keep it on WiFi all night long. It's still my alarm clock.

Upvote 0
Well since my first post #65, It happened again several times but quit until 3 nights ago. That night I got the reboot loop except it went back to back instead of every three minutes. This happened about 20-25 times and stopped. The next morning I swapped AM for PM and the next two days I got boot loops in the afternoon.

One of the above posts mentioned the monday through thursday aspect. I think he's on to something.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones