• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC One M7 bricked?

ekennedy

Lurker
Aug 9, 2017
Hello,

My (admittedly ancient) HTC One M7 bricked last night, and while it's a great excuse to finally get a new phone, it's not ideal timing and there are things I'd like to get off the phone before upgrading.

Here's what happened:

I was bulk uninstalling a few apps (nothing too big) via the Settings>Storage function. After hitting 'uninstall' the screen froze on the progress screen at 0%. This was worrying, since no button pushes (including power) would get away from the screen, but my phone is old and lags a lot, so I let it be for about half an hour. When I picked it up again, black screen. The battery had been full, but pushing the power button did nothing.

Worse, when I plugged it into a wall adapter, no charging light came on.

I've tried a number of suggestions after Googling --

1. Holding down power button for 20 seconds: the phone will vibrate and HTC screen will light up, but then it goes dark again.

2. Holding down power button + up volume: same as above.

3. Holding down power button + up volume + down volume: same as above

4. Holding down power button + down volume: brings me to the boot screen. I'm able to select options (FastBoot, Recovery), but once I hit the power button to select them, it freezes up again, for as long as half an hour before I gave up. Holding down power button will bring back to square one.

5. Plugging into my laptop, the device will be recognized, but drivers can't be installed and it immediately disconnects.

There have been a few instances while attempting these hacks while plugged into both wall adapter and laptop where the charging light has come on, and the charging screen (as a still image of an empty battery, no percentages or charging animations), but it only lasts about 10 seconds, tops.

Is it a completely hopeless situation? Is there anything else I can do? No chance of taking back to original provider (Verizon) as I'm currently in Australia...

Thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones