• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC One Mini 2 - Facebook and Messenger Apps not working

Jul 28, 2015
Hi everyone,

Recently I've had problems with opening the Facebook app - it might go to a black screen and/or the blue loading screen with the Facebook logo, but then appears to crash (although I get no error message stating this outright). The first time this happened I uninstalled all updates and the factory version was usable, and then after a while I reinstalled the updates and it was back to normal. I've just had the same problem occur, and I went through the same steps (delete info/data/cache, uninstall updates) but I still can't make it work. Furthermore, this time Messenger is not working either, and when I click on it I do get an error message stating that it has crashed. I uninstalled it, deleted it from the list of 'My Apps' and then reinstalled it, but now I keep getting an error message (with a code of -24) whenever I try and reinstall. So now I'm without Messenger, although I can still log onto Facebook using the browser. Has anyone seen this before, and is there a solution?

I'm using CleanMaster and it doesn't indicate there being anything wrong with either app.

Clean Master could easily be part of the problem, stop using it, it's rubbish. Seriously, uninstall it yesterday.

http://androidforums.com/threads/pu...k-killers-ram-optimizers-and-the-like.896663/

On your HTC, hold volume down while powering on.

Use the onscreen instructions to navigate to RECOVERY from HBOOT (or BOOTLOADER depending on your version, it's the same thing).

While in recovery, wipe cache (only) and reboot, you won't lose any data.

That's the main Android cache, not an app cache and that's the way to clear it.

Upvote 0
Not me I'm afraid 197191. I haven't had any issues with my M8 that required recovery. At least none that I can recall. Also I'm not a fan of Facebook or their apps. I may have an account from when they first started but I've never actually used it for anything. As a matter of fact I've deleted both programs from my M8 and my Samsung tablet. My little girl was using them to death whenever she lost her phone privileges and manged to get her hands on one of my devices.

Upvote 0
@AMOCO - recovery steps?
Here you go:
  1. First of all, turn off your One Mini 2.
  2. You need to completely turn it off so press power button and select “power off” or press and hold power key for a few seconds.
  3. Wait while the shut down process is being completed.
  4. Then, from your One Mini 2 press and hold (at the same time) the Power, Volume Up and Home keys together.
  5. Alternatively, enter Fastboot on your handset using this guide.
  6. The Fastboot mode will be displayed.
  7. From there use Volume Up and Down buttons in order to scroll down or up.
  8. Highlight Recovery and select the same option by pressing once on Power key.
  9. Wait while your phone is being rebooted into recovery mode.
  10. From recovery you can return to Android OS by selecting “reboot system now”.
Software method
  1. Go to Google Play as you will have to download a dedicated software from there.
  2. Search for the Quick Boot app.
  3. Download and install the tool on your One Mini 2.
  4. Open the app and just select “Recovery” in order to access the same.
  5. The reboot operation will be completed automatically.
  6. Enjoy.
  7. In the end, return to Android system by choosing “reboot system now” option from recovery.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Could you outline the steps I need to go through for this? So I did the Power + Volume Down thing with the phone connected to my laptop, then chose 'Fastboot', which leaves me with five options - HBOOT, RAMDUMP, REBOOT, REBOOT FASTBOOT and POWER DOWN.

Plug phone into PC, it should say FASTBOOT USB at that point.

Get the Mini-SDK -

http://androidforums.com/threads/adb-guide-updated-2014-11-11.443072/#post-5389081

Unzip the sdk-tools.zip file - in Windows Explorer, shift+right_click on the sdk-tools folder and choose to Open a command window here.

In the command window say -

fastboot erase cache

fastboot reboot

ALTERNATIVELY -

From the screen you're on, choose HBOOT (tap power), then from the HBOOT screen, choose RECOVERY (tap power) - wipe the cache partition, reboot.

Either one ought to work, the two methods do the same thing.

Upvote 0
Plug phone into PC, it should say FASTBOOT USB at that point.

Get the Mini-SDK -

http://androidforums.com/threads/adb-guide-updated-2014-11-11.443072/#post-5389081

Unzip the sdk-tools.zip file - in Windows Explorer, shift+right_click on the sdk-tools folder and choose to Open a command window here.

In the command window say -

fastboot erase cache

fastboot reboot

ALTERNATIVELY -

From the screen you're on, choose HBOOT (tap power), then from the HBOOT screen, choose RECOVERY (tap power) - wipe the cache partition, reboot.

Either one ought to work, the two methods do the same thing.

I tried the second suggestion and that got me back to the red triangle and this time it lasted like 20 minutes, so that didn't work.

Tried the sdk method and everything seems to be working! Just to let you know that you need to press shift and right click in order to get the command window option. Thanks so much!

EDIT: Messenger still gets that same error message during installation, although some of my other apps are now working properly.

Upvote 0
Glad that helped some.

Yeah, shift+right_click means shift and right click at the same time.

Ah sorry, I just missed out the shift when I was reading your instructions.

Do you have any idea what's going on with Messenger, I've Googled it and a -24 error doesn't come up anywhere. Do you think it'd be best to go to the Facebook app sub-forum and ask?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones