• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International Tegra 3] HTC One X possibly bricked

psodsc

Lurker
Mar 3, 2013
Hi

I've been googling like mad for the past hour, and I've been unable to find a similar problem to the one I'm having, so apologies if I'm posting the 'same old question'.

So I tried to flash Cyanogenmod to my One X (international) today, and I couldn't get it to work. At first, it would get stuck on the CM loading screen, so I tried wiping the drive and starting again. I got the same problem, so I tried to wipe it 'properly'

I should probably add at this point, I'm a noob in the world of rooting and android. But after spending hours trying to get the phone to work, out of anger, I had a 'f*ck this, I'm starting again' moment. So using Clockworkmod I went through all the format options on the 'advanced' menu. And now it's worse than before. It just hangs on the HTC splash screen. I can't restore from my nandroid backup because I get an 'md5 mismatch and I can't install CM10; when I try I get 'Finding update package...opening update package' then ClockworkMod reboots.

Now I've found a lot of advice relating to adb and fastboot. But my device won't respond to either (I'm using ubuntu, but I could get access to a windows pc tomorrow if it would help).

I apologise for meddling with things I didn't understand, but if someone could tell me I haven't bricked my phone and that there's a fix, I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks guys

No need to apologise! If you're flashing ROMs on a regular basis, this sort of thing is a common occurrence, it's just unfortunate you've experienced an issue on your first try. Fwiw, if you can get to recovery, I reckon you're recoverable. :)

Firstly, I need to know some things though. Can you tell me what version of clockwork you have installed and what your hboot version is?

Reactions: psodsc
Upvote 0
I am not familiar with the HTC One X but I am going to move this to the One X all things root sub forum to get you some help.
Ah thanks, I didn't realise it had its own forum

No need to apologise! If you're flashing ROMs on a regular basis, this sort of thing is a common occurrence, it's just unfortunate you've experienced an issue on your first try. Fwiw, if you can get to recovery, I reckon you're recoverable. :)

Firstly, I need to know some things though. Can you tell me what version of clockwork you have installed and what your hboot version is?

That's a huge relief. I'm on ClockworkMod 5.8.4.0
At the top of the bootloader it says 'HBOOT-1.36.0000', is that the hboot version?

Upvote 0
Reactions: psodsc
Upvote 0
I'd actually recommend TWRP over Clockwork, you can download that here: TeamWin Projects - TWRP 2.4 - HTC One X (International / Tegra 3 / EndeavorU) | TeamWin

We can leave that till once you're sorted though.

Do you want CM10 btw or would you be happy enough with any ROM to at least get you back up and running again?

Take a look at this and let me know what you think: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2087443

In the long run I'll probably use CM10, but for now I'd like to return it to stock temporarily. Or alternatively, whatever gets it working again :)

Upvote 0
Ok, you're a stones throw away from a custom ROM, so we'll go that route for now.

I'll assume Windows for now, I'm not entirely sure of the Linux commands, but if you want them, let me know and I'll sort something out for you.

1. Head here and download the Viper ROM zip file.
2. Also download the Boot.img file and place it into your fastboot folder (the folder you used to flash a recovery).
3. Ensuring it has AT LEAST a 60% charge, boot your phone into recovery.
4. Once in recovery, select mounts and storage, connect your phone to the PC, then select Mount USB in CWM.
5. Your phone should appear as a USB disk on your PC. Copy the ROM zip file to the root of that disk.
6. Once copied, restart your phone to the bootloader and head to fastboot. If the phone is being picked up, it should say "Fastboot USB" about a 3rd of the way down the screen.
7. With your phone still connected to your PC, navigate to the fastboot folder and open a command prompt there.
8. In the command prompt, minus the quotes, type "fastboot flash boot boot.img", press enter, then type "fastboot erase cache", press enter again.
9. Head back to recovery
10. Select Install Zip from SD Card and you should be presented with Aroma installer. Once done, just select the default options for now and let it do it's thing. Install should take about 5-10 mins.
11. Once it's done, your phone will reboot. 1st boot can take about 10 minutes, so don't get worried if it's hanging a little.

Does that make sense?

Reactions: nshaw75 and psodsc
Upvote 0
Ok, you're a stones throw away from a custom ROM, so we'll go that route for now.

I'll assume Windows for now, I'm not entirely sure of the Linux commands, but if you want them, let me know and I'll sort something out for you.

1. Head here and download the Viper ROM zip file.
2. Also download the Boot.img file and place it into your fastboot folder (the folder you used to flash a recovery).
3. Ensuring it has AT LEAST a 60% charge, boot your phone into recovery.
4. Once in recovery, select mounts and storage, connect your phone to the PC, then select Mount USB in CWM.
5. Your phone should appear as a USB disk on your PC. Copy the ROM zip file to the root of that disk.
6. Once copied, restart your phone to the bootloader and head to fastboot. If the phone is being picked up, it should say "Fastboot USB" about a 3rd of the way down the screen.
7. With your phone still connected to your PC, navigate to the fastboot folder and open a command prompt there.
8. In the command prompt, minus the quotes, type "fastboot flash boot boot.img", press enter, then type "fastboot erase cache", press enter again.
9. Head back to recovery
10. Select Install Zip from SD Card and you should be presented with Aroma installer. Once done, just select the default options for now and let it do it's thing. Install should take about 5-10 mins.
11. Once it's done, your phone will reboot. 1st boot can take about 10 minutes, so don't get worried if it's hanging a little.

Does that make sense?

It's not responding to fastboot. I just get 'waiting for device'. I tried fastboot devices and adb devices and it's not showing anything. The phone says 'fastboot usb' but it freezes, I can't scroll or return to hboot until I unplug it from the pc

Upvote 0
Was there any network logo on bootup?

Sorry for all the questions btw, I just need to be 100% sure before we work out what your next steps are.

Don't apologise, you're going out of your way to help me :)

The bootup had the HTC 'quietly brilliant' screen, then just the 'htc one, beats audio' screen (obviously the latter was replaced by a cyanogenmod screen when I had that installed)

Upvote 0
This is a clean install of windows I did today (new laptop), I didn't even think to add the drivers. Haven't got HTC sync either, would that help?

EDIT: Installed the drivers, it's now letting me fastboot. Going to try the RUU
EDIT 2: It's working. The RUU file is running, it's updating the ROM. Whether or not it will boot after remains to be seen, but it's looking good
EDIT 3: It failed after a few minutes. Got the following:

Error [132]: Signature Error
The ROM Update Utility cannot update your Android phone. Please get the correct ROM Update Utility and try again.

Upvote 0
FIXED IT

So after the RUU failed, I googled around. Then I remembered why I'd heard of RUU's before: posts on forums suggesting them as alternatives for people without nandroid backups. Then it hit me: I have a nandroid backup.

So I cleared the cache, did a wipe within recovery, loaded fastboot, flashed the nandroid boot.img, did a restore, and I'm now running stock. It's not perfect, but after the stress of the past few days, it'll do.

Gracias, El Presidente, I really appreciate the help :)

Upvote 0
This is a clean install of windows I did today (new laptop), I didn't even think to add the drivers. Haven't got HTC sync either, would that help?

EDIT: Installed the drivers, it's now letting me fastboot. Going to try the RUU
EDIT 2: It's working. The RUU file is running, it's updating the ROM. Whether or not it will boot after remains to be seen, but it's looking good
EDIT 3: It failed after a few minutes. Got the following:

FIXED IT

So after the RUU failed, I googled around. Then I remembered why I'd heard of RUU's before: posts on forums suggesting them as alternatives for people without nandroid backups. Then it hit me: I have a nandroid backup.

So I cleared the cache, did a wipe within recovery, loaded fastboot, flashed the nandroid boot.img, did a restore, and I'm now running stock. It's not perfect, but after the stress of the past few days, it'll do.

Gracias, El Presidente, I really appreciate the help :)

whoa, whoa...can u pl go slow on what u did??? I guess I screwed my htc one x endeavor (international) in the same way you did!!!

I rooted it, loaded clockworkmod, kept my stock rom and only removed the htc sense...I was happy with that...today, out of stupidity, tried to load avatar rom for htc one x and boot.img was wrong....so it didn't go ok. while trying to recover from that problem, I did way too many things....now when I turn on the phone, it straight goes to clockworkmod recovery screen....it skips the boot loaded screen....even the, it finds nothing under recovery option..my pc is not even recognizing the phone for command line.......I have no where to go....I guess I am screwed......

pl give me step by step instruction on what you did.....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones