• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Rezound - Is there a way to unlock from Verizon?

okey dok

Lurker
Feb 27, 2023
i want to change carriers to genmobile...is there a simple way to unlock from verizon?
[i've never had an account with verzon...it's an ebay phone that's locked to verizon]
re: htc rezound
the genmobile sim card is activated, but the phone gives an error of "sim card from an unknown source"
i bought it hoping to at least listen to music on wi-fi with the "beats" audio, but i can't even get to the playstore, because it says "server not responding"
lurk a durk lurk : )

Last edited:
i just want to change carriers to genmobile...is there a simple way to unlock from verizon?
[i've never had an account with verzon...it's an ebay phone that's locked to verizon]
People ask this question every week. You are basically stuck with a locked, branded phone to Verizon

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
People ask this question every week. You are basically stuck with a locked, branded phone to Verizon
Hi, i wonder if i signed up for a cheap prepaid verizon acct, i they would "unlock it after 60 days"? i've got $56 dollars into it already with the 4000 mah battery i bought, and i really like the feel of it with added weight...respectfully yours...okey dok

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
Hi, i wonder if i signed up for a cheap prepaid verizon acct, i they would "unlock it after 60 days"? i've got $56 dollars into it already with the 4000 mah battery i bought, and i really like the feel of it with added weight...respectfully yours...okey dok
i would call verizon and ask.....they would know for sure.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
i want to change carriers to genmobile...is there a simple way to unlock from verizon?
the genmobile sim card is activated, but the phone gives an error of "sim card from an unknown source"
Pretty much every Verizon phone shows that "SIM is not from Verizon" message, whether it's SIM locked or not. So that alone does not indicate SIM lock
Incorrect. Prior to 2019, all Verizon LTE device were sold SIM unlocked already
A locked Verizon phone from 2011 will be CDMA only probably. And so won't be able to connect to any network now.
Correct: even if it does have GSM capability, neither T-Mobile nor AT&T will accept it on their network anymore, due to its age. So basically the device is useless here in the US, as far as cellular function goes

Reactions: AugieTN and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
You're better off buying a new phone that can connect to modern technology than keep this thing.
Yeah because endlessly raping the earth of more finite resources, encouraging disposability vs. keeping something that still works makes PERFECT sense.

The mindset of 'throw it away and buy a new one' sickens me to the core.

There are ways to bypass the so-called VoLTE mandate. I got a Galaxy S4 Mini working currently that's supposedly not supported. Let the carriers pound sand and let the users use what they want. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle in THAT order people.

Upvote 0
Yeah because endlessly raping the earth of more finite resources, encouraging disposability vs. keeping something that still works makes PERFECT sense.

The mindset of 'throw it away and buy a new one' sickens me to the core.

There are ways to bypass the so-called VoLTE mandate. I got a Galaxy S4 Mini working currently that's supposedly not supported. Let the carriers pound sand and let the users use what they want. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle in THAT order people.

BUY, CONSUME, CONFORM, and SUBMIT. :thumbsupdroid:

they_live_1988-4.jpg

Given that the OP's 12 year old Verizon HTC might be a CDMA only device. Probably can't do anything with the thing, except to BUY a replacement, as there's no CDMA netowrk to connect it to now AFAIK.

Where I am, probably millions of now obsolete CDMA phones went to the trash.

BTW I now hear that AM(Medium Wave) radio is an endangered species in the US, with many stations now shutting down their AM band transmitters. With the same thing happening in Europe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones