HTC Sense : Good or Bad

Last Updated:

1. Mike777

Mike777 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all

Please excuse the list of questions......:)

What do poeple think about HTC sense ?

How do you get some of the application from HTC sense onto a phone.

My current software in 2.1 would I need to upgrade to 2.2 to get HTC sense.

If I upgraded what is the impact on setting, favorites, personnel setting on my phone.

Many thanks for your time and kind regards

Mike

Advertisement
  2. gie62001

gie62001 Well-Known Member

huh and i thought that all our desires came with HTC Sense UI preinstalled :) i guess i was wrong. unless you have different phone like nexus 1, or samsung or any other android phone. but nope you dont need to update your current firmware to 2.2 as 2.1 has the same sense ui as 2.2 sense ui apart from few improvements.
    so please clarify your statement

3. jay_kay

jay_kay Well-Known Member

From the way that you are talking it sounds like you do not have an HTC phone as they all come preinstalled with sense.

If you haven't then you will need to root your device and then find a sense rom to install.

Sense is great. By far the best launcher IMO. I am currently using Launcher Pro plus at the moment as find it more customisable.

Let us know what phone you have and can probably guide you more :D

4. Mike777

Thanks for the reply............this was what I was referring to.

http://www.htc.com/www/htcsense/index.html

Sorry for any confusion

Reagrds

Mike

5. gie62001

gie62001 Well-Known Member

ohh ok so its not sense ui as we have on our htc desires, its the new sense ui that will/is launched with new htc desire HD and htc desire Z. but for know this ROM is available if you have rooted desire so you can flash it on your phone, however the ROM is still not complete (camera not working). but we have to wait and see if HTC desides to treat us with this UI as well

6. jay_kay

What phone do you currently have?

We all have sense on our phone. Are you referring to Sense.com which is the new version on the newer HTC phones?

7. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

Your phone already has sense if you have the Desire.

This thread doesn't make "sense" to me! :confused:

widehead and robogo like this.
  8. yenrod

yenrod Well-Known Member

I'm not a great fan of Sense liking Launcher + & Pro...Sense is TOO much like Apple (hock spit)

9. Mike777

Sorry my fault...........:confused:

I have a HTC desire and looking at the link there are things that I would like on the phone............

Like ringing louder in a bag
    Quieter ring when turned over.

I thought to do this I need to register / log on etc .....does that much 'sense' :) or can I get these applications any way ?

Regards

Mike

10. jay_kay

Nope we cannot have these yet. They are being released with the Desire HD & Z but according to what I have read we should get these in an update at some point in the future.

I do not own a manbag so have no need for the first one but I believe it does the 2nd anyways? if not pretty sure there is an app for that.

11. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

12. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

I've been running the HD port for a couple of weeks now and it's awesome :D The options for the ringing are there but I don't use them, and Internet Passthrough doesn't work but I've not got a need for it.

HTCSense.com is cool, live tracking is pretty nice.

If HTC make the normal Desire version of the new Sense UI as fast as the HD port then we're in for a treat (and the flip clock is nice to look at :D )

13. jay_kay

14. Nasalhair

Nasalhair Well-Known Member

Sense is supposed to do both of those already, isn't it? The instruction manual for the Desire says that if you leave the phone upside down (screen down) on say your bedside table it mutes the ringer. As for ringing more loudly in a bag I clearly remember billboard posters around the launch of the Desire describing things with the phrase "that's HTC Sense", including the likes of bringing all social updates onto the phone, and ringing more loudly when the phone is in a bag or a pocket.

15. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

Pocket mode is on the Desire from memory, but turn to mute I don't remember seeing

16. WhiteChristmas

WhiteChristmas Active Member

Even though I'm not a sense fan (prefer the look and feel of vanilla), I'd give the ROM a try if the camera was working. There are a few features I like the sound of, like the way the map orientates itself to your direction (al-la 3GS :)).

OT, I miss cut and paste from sense (using defrost), does the facility still work if you're using Launcher Pro?

17. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

I don't know, and camera is only a small issue (I don't really use it - it is a phone after all!!)

18. Mike777

Is this the ringing louder in bag...........can not find any option on the HTC desire.

Any ideas

Mike

19. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

Yes, it's under Settings>Sound on the normal Desire (or it is from memory, not used it in a few weeks since moving to the HD port)

20. Nasalhair

No such option on mine (running stock Froyo 2.10.405.2)

21. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

It's not an option or setting. The SenseUI will automatically reduce the ringer volume about 80% when you pick the phone up from a counter so it's not annoyingly loud while looking at it. Also, when the phone rings you can flip it over face-down and it will silence the ringer.

All of these are part of the SenseUI included with the Desire. I've tested all of them, and they work as advertised.

As for the bag feature where it rings at max volume when in a purse or pocket, that's part of the newer SenseUI which is not included on the Desire.

22. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

How on earth does it know?

23. funkmuncha

funkmuncha Well-Known Member

I've got an out the box t mobile branded desire, it upgraded to 2.2 all on its own the first time I switched it on (clever desire)

The ringer volume drops when I pick it up of my desk, if I put it back face down it goes silent. When its in my pocket it definitely rings louder. Clever desire

24. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

Sense is excellent, I just don't like the dock, I'd like it better if it were changeable but Sense HD will have that ability and there's a rom already on XDA like that called RCMixHD which I should bother to try one day.

25. Nasalhair