• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Tablet "The Flyer"

abot

Feb 13, 2011
The Seattle Times
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2014226377_mobilenotebook15.html

HTC is announcing a tablet computer, the "Flyer," which will go on sale in the second quarter. It's intended to be a high-end device, with an aluminum housing, a 7-inch diagonal touch-screen, a 1.5 gigahertz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, 32 gigabytes of RAM and HSPA+ wireless capability.

It's launching with Android 2.4 but will be upgradeable to the upcoming "Honeycomb" version of Android optimized for tablets.

HTC designed a new version of its Sense interface for the larger screen of a tablet, with a carousel for navigating icons and widgets.

The Flyer also comes with a stylus for taking notes on the device.

The Flyer also has a 5-megapixel camera plus a 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera for videoconferencing.

The price of the Flyer and bundled services such as OnLive will be announced later.

Reactions: vlad1427
I LOVE HTC. Really. I have the DINC and its really the best phone I have ever owned. I love SenseUI. I love the feel. Pretty much everything except the battery life.

Not excited about the Flyer and heres why:

- 7 inch screen. Come on. I have my DINC for web access on the go. It fits in my pocket. I don't need another "small" device. I want an experience. I want visuals. I want WOW! Not wee.

- No Honeycomb?!?! Not sweet. Come on - everyones putting it out now. What in the heck are you thinking putting a tablet out with "old" software?

- No HTMI Out? We all just got excited by all the other tablets offering this - why not HTC?

- 4 Hour video playback. Other tablets I believe are saying theirs will do 10 hours, so 4 hours is unacceptable. I really thought HTC might have learned from their crappy phone battery experience and done it right here. Guess not.

There is a lot to like about the Flyer. But the above are show stoppers for me. I am hoping the announce 10 inch tabs soon and resolve the above items. Otherwise, its the Xoom for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones