• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Wildfire S - Internal Storage??

I have a HTC Wildfire S, i only downloaded a few apps, and have only about 17mb left. I have a 16G card and it stores music only..i want all the apps in the phone to go to the SD card..pls tell me how cos i need the memory!!
Menu/Settings/SD & phone storage/"Make more space" then click "Next" and select "Move apps to SD card". Any that can be moved will appear and you can then move them. You can't move any that were pre-installed, and some that you have downloaded can't be moved either.

Upvote 0
I have a HTC Wildfire S, i only downloaded a few apps, and have only about 17mb left. I have a 16G card and it stores music only..i want all the apps in the phone to go to the SD card..pls tell me how cos i need the memory!!
See this guide:
Tips Forcing Apps to install to the SD Card without root

Also upgrading to 2.3.5 if you haven't done so already will help. You typically get 20-30MB back for apps.
[GUIDE]How to update HTC Wildfire S/Marvel/A510e/GSM to Software Version 2.3.5

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Does that allow you to move any that you can't move in Settings/Manage Appllications?

The first guide I mentioned, yes. It's a step beyond just moving apps through settings.

The second guide, no. But HTC made the ROM more memory efficient, and the generic EU ROM linked in the guide doesn't have vendor-specific bloatware. Thus the gain of 20-30MB. But it only works with GSM phones (A510e).

Upvote 0
There's seem to be no solutions for HTC wildfire s internal memory unless you do S-off and Root it. I bought my phone in December (Virgin Mobile) and was excited for a few days until I get a constant "Low internal memory..." and can't upload anymore updates. I had just S-Offed my phone but scared to Root it since the instructions I found on the website was dated back in Nov 2010 :-( I will just have to deal with the constant clearing cache until I find a better phone with a larger internal memory.

Upvote 0
There's seem to be no solutions for HTC wildfire s internal memory unless you do S-off and Root it. I bought my phone in December (Virgin Mobile) and was excited for a few days until I get a constant "Low internal memory..." and can't upload anymore updates. I had just S-Offed my phone but scared to Root it since the instructions I found on the website was dated back in Nov 2010 :-( I will just have to deal with the constant clearing cache until I find a better phone with a larger internal memory.

You can try this guide for rooting - [TUTORIAL][ROOT] How to root your HTC Wildfire S? - xda-developers

I actually just used that guide this morning for rooting my Wildfire S through Metro, and it should work for VM also. Though, instead of using their custom recovery, I used Download CWM_Recovery_5.0.2.6.zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way - Clockworkmod. Which is easier, all you have to do is download the file and then unzip it on your desktop and run the recovery.bat, while your phone is connected to PC through USB, charge only, and debugging on. It does the rest for you.

Then you can move onto step 2 from that guide. I was a bit wary myself at first, since the guide didn't give my carrier, but I was willing to try anything after all the failed efforts of using a one click rooting method.

Reactions: Temperance74
Upvote 0
Okay I figured out a bit of a fix that worked for me that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere.

If you go to Apps > Remove Apps > All, you will have a list of everything installed on your phone. If you click on any app, say Facebook for example, you will see it has stored 'Data' included in it's total size, I have 716KB listed here. If you press the 'Clear Data' button, you get this message:

"All of this application's data will be deleted permanently. This includes all files, settings, accounts, databases and so on."

Now obviously you will not want to do this with some applications (like facebook, if you use it, and who doesn't?) because as far as I understand, it is like resetting the app to it's default settings. You will want to keep the data there.

I took a look at my recently installed TED app, and discovered it had 3MB of Data on it. Now that's pretty crazy, because I've only ever opened it once, and I didn't go into the settings at all. So I press the Clear Data button and free up the 3MB of space. What is most interesting to me, is that this app has been moved to the SD card, and yet this Data is stored on the phones internal memory.

While typing this message I tried re-opening TED to see if anything would mess up. Nope. It works fine. I go back into Remove Apps and discover it has rebuilt the Data to 3MB again. Okay. So that's pretty crap. I was able to install some updates while that 3MB was gone, however, so this is still useful, as sometimes you just need to push the free space over 15MB to install or update things.

In my search through the all apps list, I did happen to find several pre-installed applications that I never use that had upwards of around 4MBs in total that I safely removed. Things like HTC Hub, and the Stock app that I must have opened once and decided never to open again.

The storage issue is my biggest problem with the Wildfire S and I was happy to discover this, so I hope it helps someone else out there. Just don't clear data of anything you're unsure of :)

Reactions: ariwerf
Upvote 0
Does that allow you to move any that you can't move in Settings/Manage Appllications?
I did the first one on my Wildfire S
it works, I can download apps still install in the internal memory but now I can move it after installed to the SDmemory
also when I am downloading apps check in the Accept & Download screen
permissions in storage if says: "Modify/delete SD card contents" if not said that it can be move to SD so those ones I didn't install

Also all the pictures an music are install in the SD so even if you delete them you are not getting more space

the other thing that I couldn't done yet is to install updates to previously installed apps because it goes to internal memory and couldn't send it to SD

Upvote 0
I have a T-Mobile HTC Wildfire S
Getting constant "Low Memory Space" notifications.
I do the standard make space type stuff but It only helps for a little while.

I've moved just about every app that will move over to my SD Card.
It's a 4GB card that shows up as 3.68GB but I still have 1.5 GB left free on it.

Running Android 2.3.5
RAM 115 MB Free / 301 Used = It reports 418 MB Total to Android Assistant
ROM 12.3 MB Free / 137 MB Used = It reports 150 MB ROM Total

I see 2 memory pools and 1 storage area.
Things get better as the free ROM space improves.
Is there a way to bump the ROM size to get some more head room?

Upvote 0
Wildfire Internal Storage.
Spankythedolph

You are a hero.

I have been coming back to the forum when time permited to try and solve the issue of lack of internal storage preventing upgrades and frankly have not had the confidence to take on any of the well meaning advise on the forum.

So I have suffered and made do with what seems a good phone with serios glitches that prevent it being a great phone.

Like most of my fault finding with technology the answer is in there somewhere.

I have just spent 30min following your simple guidlines and my internal memory is up from 12 to 35MB.

Whilst I have been carring out the task my phone has carried out an upgrade which it has been unable to do due to low memory for about the last 2 month, how about that.

This phone dose not have enough pleb rescue programmes, the geeks who launch this technology are missing a trick as quite a number of the forum users demonstate, they and I just want a "switch on and work devise that self heals"
As if.
Still I am a happy chappy.

Many thanks.

Your post should get some prominance on this topic.

SITE MANAGER NOTE

Great site by the way.

Upvote 0
If all the members here with internal storage issues follow El Presidente's post located here: http://androidforums.com/htc-wildfire-s/469775-forcing-apps-install-sd-card-without-root.html then you will not only gain space on your internal memory but you will also be able to install apps to your sd card. With that said you can get yourself a 16 gb sdhc card like I did and then you would have almost 16 more gbs to install apps on. I followed this procedure myself and it is very simple if you know anything about computers and command prompt. Hope this helps some one out.

Reactions: sandiesmiles
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones